It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WhiteHouse urges Consumers to Spend!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
communicator,

I think you meant to say, "you couldn't agree with me more."

I'm not for sure. You said 2 different things. Your first sentence said one thing but the rest of your statement agreed with me.

[edit on 13-3-2008 by Shar]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
So the President wants us to spend....

What choice do we have with gas at $3.25, food going up everyday, inflation starting to be a very real problem and wages stagnant.

If I spend any of my rebate on anything other than necessities, it will be on 30.06 and .38 shells cause
something wicked this way comes.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthWithin

Dude you got a dragon?

Awesome.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I tried spending on the advice of King George. After turning all of my savings into cash i still had to borrow a dollar for a cup of coffee.

Koz,,, Yeah, that sucks, but that's how it is now that the slackers let it happen.

Hey slackers! Back when gas hit $2.00 you didn't stop driving and refuse to buy it. When milk hit whatever ridiculous price it is now, you still kept drinking it. When gold spiked and the dollar began to drop you lazy turds just kept on living unsustainable routines. You also slacked in critical thought and common sense, thinking that it's going to get better. It's not getting better, there's nothing left.

We spent all our money on a war supposedly "defending" this supposedly great nation, but spend nothing on what we're supposed to be defending. How many hungry people would just one cruise missile feed? For the cost of a single fighter jet this nation could feed anyone without food for a week.

Thing is, i'm not even angry at the government about this, because without the consent of the people this would have never happened. You consented to the war when you filled up your fuel tank to drive to that war protest and hold that "no blood for oil" sign for faux news to edit out. You got suckered into supporting the war financially. You think screaming at the top of your lungs and calling the king a liar is going to stop a bomb from falling or put food on a starving family's table? Protests are just a way that the government keeps pissed off people in line by keeping them busy planning the next protest.

The collapse and the whole "fall of rome" happened a while ago, we're just living the final days oblivious to all in the name of comfort.

I've already begun my campaign, guerilla economics, I started my insurgency when i stopped buying stuff, i quit working for the system, and stopped spending anything. I buy or barter for local organic foods, and well, i eat and that's it. Other members of Army of the Earth who are utiizing the same tactics. If i do make money beyond what i need for the nutrition essentials, I'll sooner give it away to someone that needs food to live (and there's no shortage of starving ppl now). I usually just give hungry people food directly though, and the more in need they are the more nutrirtion i try to provide in order to help heal the sickness. Meanwhile, the dollar pandemic spreads it's infection to the deaf dumb and blind.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Wow. They really are desperate in the Whitehouse aren't they?

"Spend, please, for the love of god spend before the economy crashes!
And remember kids... the economy is the strongest it has ever been.
But seriously, ITS ABOUT TO CRASH!... but it's cool... it's all under control.
SPEND!"

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Koz, I'm really sorry to hear about your situation, I hope things improve for you.

History shows us that all great empires fall eventually because of greed and arrogance. I think that is what is happening here in the USA unfortunately.

However the positive side is once money becomes worthless we can start over again fresh. Maybe we can come up with better economic system where money is equal the amount of work or product that is produced. Rather than monies, value being determined by a bunch estimated values in a stock market.

Best Regards,
Trustnobody

[edit on 13-3-2008 by trustnobody]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
double post mods pls del

[edit on 3/13/2008 by DezertSkies]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Ok, I will still post my views on the moron in the white House advise, for somebody that has only grown in privilege environment he has not clue how the American people does to survive.

As many has posted very eloquently this man is out of touch with reality.

People are can not afford to pay their mortgages, they can not pay their credit card balances and that Mr. president is because is no enough money to go around.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So yes I gladly spend some money if you can lend me one of your million dollars.

[edit on 13-3-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
If I spend any of my rebate on anything other than necessities, it will be on 30.06 and .38 shells cause something wicked this way comes.

Glad to see I am not the only one thinking along these lines. If not for defense in the coming bloodshed, then for survival like hunting for food. Think I am also going to get a shiny new fishing pole. Man, to think I have spent maybe a few hours fishing in my lifetime. Better bone up now on them skills, before I am forced to do it to sustain myself and family courtesy of the Third Reich!

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I do not understand why people in the US are being urged to spend money they do not have. I have read that the housing market is really bad in the US and that people in 'mortgageland' are doing it tough, I have also read that there are many mortgagee sales with people selling their homes way under value.

In Australia we are experiencing increasing interest rate rises, people are also selling up, the housing market is dead and the cost of meat, fruit and vegetables and petrol is absolutely rude.

Our economy is booming with the growth in mining on the westcoast (Western Australia) and in Queensland. Our $ is doing well and is worth
about US 94 cents now (in the past only about 60 cents).

I am not an economics whizz by any stretch of the imagination but when I look at how strong our economy is compared to the US, urging Americans to spend more just seems illogical and very unrealistic.

just my 94 cents worth....

take care all
res

[edit on 13-3-2008 by resistancia]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
WOW, how can anyone deny that America has been sold out from under its people and everyday that baffoon stays in office he will find ways to make his people suffer. If I was in a situation like most Americans where I was facing losing my home to these crooks well I would, strip every thing of value from my house and sell it, copper and alluminum get good $$ at scrap yards then I would torch my place because that seems like the only option left other than letting these parasites take your home away. Why cant any of your rampage shooters target these morons instead of school kids?

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The rebates are supposed to help stimulate the economy by putting more money into it. If everyone stops spending the economy goes down faster, so the solution is to spend more. That's the theory. In practice, I'm going to save the tiny amount I will probably get. I don't see how a trip to WalMart is going to save American jobs.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I'm not getting any tax rebate, because I was in school fulltime last year and didn't work. That being said, I WOULD have spent mine on seeds and starts and sevin dust for the garden. Because if you don't have to pay 3.99 for a head of romaine lettuce, you can apply it to better uses.

If you have even a small yard, you can augment your larder with really nutritious food. If you have neighbors with larger yards, you can form groups of people who, working together, can produce even more produce.

We've reached the place that working hard and following the rules may not buy you the American Dream. That's a pretty sad commentary on our society.

Edit to add: I don't have any credit cards since I paid them off after my divorce. But if I did, faced with the coming economic crisis, I have to admit that I wouldn't part with another dime for them. If the economy tanks, no one will have a credit rating, so what does it matter that you maintain yours? A credit card is an unsecured loan, they took the chance that you would be able to continue to pay it when they gave it to you.

I've lived without credit for 15 years now and even though I am not well-off, I feel none of the pain my friends that pay monthly on interest without touching the principle feel. We've been sold a bill of goods and made to believe that it's "the American way".

Don't pee on my foot and try to convince me that it's raining!

[edit on 3/13/08 by themillersdaughter]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I agree with dezertskies. I too have been in guerilla economy mode for about 4 months and plan to continue indefinitely. I buy nothing retail that isn't food related or isn't 100% needed. The things I do choose to buy I will buy used or trade for. I am VERY lucky to have a very good job though with the local government, at least for now. Our budget is terrible and we are a few hundred million short, so cuts will be coming. It's just a matter of time.

I live in a town outside DC that had rampant illegal immigration until recently for the most part and now there are tons of houses for sale and foreclosures on the market. When the jobs dried up, they all packed up and split. There are still some around but many of them have left. My house value has dropped by 50% from its high peak 2 years ago and now it's worth what I owe if I am lucky. The town assesses the value of my house at 100k more than I can sell it for so I end up paying $4200 a year in tax on a house that I can't sell for 220k which is what I owe. I am paying off all my credit cards as well and next month I make the last payment. The only bills I will have then is my mortgage on a house that is worthless because I couldn't sell it if my life depended on it, my car, and my utilities. I say to he11 with the US economy and all the corruption and the destruction of our way of life. Let it all come crashing down and then we can start over from scratch and get medieval on the culprits that have put us into this endless cycle of greed and corruption.

PS. I too am going to a gun show next week and plan to pick up a KAR98K Mauser and a shotgun with plenty of ammo. There are a LOT of bad element that have moved into my neighborhood in the past year and if something bad happens in this country then I may have to shoot my way out of this neighborhood one day. It looks like I'm gonna be here for a while so I'm going to prepare. Hope for the best. Plan for the worst.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
What I neglected to add to my previous post was that the Australian Government is urging us STOP spending. It is the credit card debt that is fuelling the hike in interest rates, and the downturn in mortgages and the building industry.

As I mentioned before the Oz economy is booming.

res

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Spend?!
Why?
Its either save every dollar you can get,or pay off your debts,which leaves you right back to where you started,broke.
How can anyone ask us to spend,we cant even afford to keep our heads above water anymore.
We have to budget every grocery item and every gallon of gas we get nowdays.
Those lucky people who are fortunate enough to have jobs and walking a tight rope.
And those who arent employed,what are they to do?
With all the jobs leaving this country and being outsourced elsewhere,wheres the light at the end of the tunnel for them?
Perhaps a job a McDonalds?
For what they pay and the current cost of living,they might as well stay unemployed.
Ever wonder why our country has more people in prison than any other country?
Sure there are really bad people,muders and some drug dealers trying to live a high life,but their are also plenty of people in prison who sold drugs just to get by.
Sure selling drugs is illegal,but when there are no jobs to be had,and they have a family to feed,what are they to do?
And when they do it,its off to prison with them.
The American dream has been turned into a 24/7 nightmare.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I know I will be saving mine, or using it towards credit card debt..

But so many on here think the whole of America will be rushing to save the money....

They won't.

You can say the White house is about stupid for these comments, and out of touch with Americans but uh .....

They are right.

I will guess that the majority of those who get the checks will spend them within the week.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I found it depressing that noone was disagreeing with how bad things are right now and I cannot disagree either. I happened to be dumb and smart at the same time and it is finally paying off. I bought a 16000 house a couple years ago and fixed it up, but when the savings were suppose to start rolling in I found it impossible to sell my 100,000 dollar house, that put me seriously in the hole, I was seriously considering bankruptcy because I was going in the whole about 1000 each month just paying the bills. Without the mortgage company knowing I rented out my house and am finally seeing the end of my debt. I was so upset with how debt kept sinking me in deeper and deeper that I vowed for 2008 to not have any more credit cards or credit ever, to include any mortgages. So far I have kept my vow and now that my credit cards are almost paid off I shall never return to that big hole again, pray I can sell my 100000 house.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I absolutely love georgie (& the gang), his arguments/rhethoric is beyond what any serious expert in such a field would expect.I think we're seeing the last days of what was known as "capitalism" aka "the solution of all the problems".

And what do i hear on cnn? The FED is printing up more money AGAIN!?
Incredible you have to see this to believe it i say

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

"Spend my little slaves. Make my pockets deeper!"

Does Bush think he has any idea what makes the economy work? He seemed so sure about how well it was doing, now he wants us to boost it?

When will the doublespeak end?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join