It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WhiteHouse urges Consumers to Spend!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   

WhiteHouse urges Consumers to Spend!

rawstory.com

The White House, buffeted by a stronger than expected drop in monthly US retail sales, urged US consumers Thursday to shop and said they should be confident in long-term US economic health.

"We do want to see the consumer spend, and that's one of the reasons for the rebate checks," spokesman Tony Fratto said, referring to a key component of a stimulus package valued at 152 billion for 2008 and 16 billion next year.

"The big message is that you can have confidence in the long-term future of our economy," Fratto told reporters amid growing fears that the world's wealthiest country may be facing a recession.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
LMAO!

These people are so far out of touch with the citizens of this nation its appalling.

Here's your wake-up call WhiteHouse---WE HAVE NO MONEY LEFT TO SPEND! We've been BLED DRY as a nation...The outragious cost of fuel over such a long haul, the completely destructed housing market, the horrific job-market and outsourcing, the gigantic escalation of Food prices and inflation...We HAVE NOTHING LEFT TO SPEND. All your puny 'suplus checks' are going to do is help us pay off a fraction of our debt, or buy a week or two of groceries.

Step out of your insulated, endless-profiteering bubble world, and welcome to the REAL world, where most of us 'little people' are suffering and struggling just to survive.

kthxbye

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
When I get my government check I am going to put it into savings.

I will then spend 41 cents to draft a letter to the white house telling them that is what I did.

Then I will feed the dragon some burritos. Then it's ON.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I can't belive that the gov't thinks that they can send out 300-600 per person and expect them to spend thier life savings in return what do they take us for

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Oeh, in the Netherlands we are pretty famous for saving our money, untill a few years ago the only loan a typicall Dutch person would be a mortgage for the house and nothing else. a credit-card was far from standard and even now the debit-card outnumbers the credit-card, alhough less so then let's say 10-15 years ago.

When it got economically uncomfortable in Europe the Dutch prime minister urged us to spend all our savings to jack up the economy and they where even a little reprimanding about saving money for when we actually needed it. But luckily we all had a good laugh about it and generally had the opninion that the politicians finally lost it.

But where there were no lending commercials on TV in the Netherlands they now dominate the media and a lot of people fall for it not realising that money borrowed does mean that they have less to spend monthley because of the pay-back.

Anyway, not only in America for this one

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Hey, they are funding the revolt here people! Don't waste your money on the status quo. Don't save it (for a rainy day?) or go buy a 50" plasma TV so you can futher be assalted. Arm yourselves, go buy as many weapons and ammo as you can! Wouldn't be a bad idea to stock up on whatever you deem a necessity in the event of utter chaos. Or you can decide to flaunt your money in an effort to be better than the Jones' and continue the status quo, no skin off my back. Soon enough, it ain't going to matter and you will see that you wasted your spending power on frivolous crap. I am preparing for an all out war, I suggest you do the same.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I think the Stipulas will be some help... atleast they are doing something for the people... but than they are expecting too much that people will spent their savings...

The government think that one time stipulas will do all... they should reduce the taxes so that people every month can pocket more money... actually our money is going to the Iraq/ Afganistan war...

and they dont want to loose that money... every month 11 - 12 billion

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
It's going stright to the credit card debt. I hate when politicians play us for fools like this. We are just going to have to pay it back out of higher taxes. Maybe it is the Republican tactic, or even the two party system tactic, to keep us hating one side or the other.

Republican presidency = run up the debt. Seperate cash from the citizen and give it to multinational defense contractors.

Democratic presidency = receive a horrible financial set up and be forced to either raise taxes or close bases thereby falling into the trap of being "anti-american".

The two party system is terrible for making any progress.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Sure, free creditcards for anyone!!

The federal ( NOT GOVERNMENT) reserve will print some more illusions for you!!

Spend money Americans. More debt will help this country back into business!!

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
ATTENTION: There is an IDIOT in the White House!!!

Spend what I ask!?!? I haven't a penny left to spend on necessities, let alone the luxuries that have kept this ailing economy afloat for so long.

I have been laid off and have almost zero prospects for a position with a sustainable income. Gas prices have shot through the roof to almost $3.50 a gallon. Our grocery bill has almost doubled from just 1 year ago. My medical insurance premiums saw a 30% increase year over year. My house is worth about 15% less than the mortgage note that I hold on it. My interest rates on debt now average over 25% and are sucking a full 130% more of my income each and every month. And did I mention that I can only find jobs paying slightly above minimum wage? Service jobs with no income, no benefits and no prospect of ever supporting a family let alone getting ahead in the world.

This is it, folks. This is the end of the US lifestyle as we have known it. No economic stimulus plan, no bank bailouts and no begging and pleading from the Chief MORON in the White House are going to save us! The dollar is plummeting like a stone and we have no real jobs left in Amerika - since we've sold them all to India and China - at the alter of corporate greed.

Good, I say! Let the whole damned house of cards come tumbling down! These greedy old white bazillionaires were too short-sighted, greedy and stupid to see that they have destroyed themselves. In 1980 the top 1% of wage earners controlled less than 24% of the wealth in the country. In 2000 the top 1% controlled over 40% of the wealth! It's really pretty simple economics... 1% is NOT going to spend their wealth as effectively as the next 99%. When wealth is hoarded at the top of the food chain, that leaves less for the masses to spend. When the masses spend less then business suffers and the recession train picks of momentum. At the current rate those in the top 1% will have amassed a mountain of... worthless paper fiat currency that will no longer have value on the world market. So congrats greedy old white bastards - your greed has finally seen to it to destroy the Amerikan way of life!

And when the depression hits like an asteroid and your money no longer buys you anything - don't you dare knock on my door looking for help! I'd just as soon watch you die of starvation in the street then to feed you my most rotten table scraps!

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Honestly, if they are telling us to spend. That means to save and save everything.

Sounds dangerous. I just don’t trust them wanting me to spend my money. I know they don’t. They put it all into their oil stocks and jack the prices up for us. Why they sit back and get rich off of us. They don’t spend they save.

I would take this as a warning to save.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I had seen a program on Discovery or CNN regarding the mortgage problem, they were showing abt Clevland, Ohio. They shown many homes were people were not able to pay there monthly mortgage and they just walked away with their belongings... just like that.. because there house price is lower than ther mortgage...

it was shocking... that was early 2007... when our White house was saying there is no way their will be any recession... than they say... yes there is some slowdown... comes 2008 and they start saying we surly have recession... damn it everybody is saying from last 1 year..

What the experts predict is people will only payback their credit card bills...
life is from paycheck to paycheck...

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Shar

I cannot agree less with you... govt should encourage people to save and create assets... increase net worth... but all they want us to do is take credit...

most of the people live their life from paycheck to paycheck... these people had a dream to buy house and they did... but then that was broken because of the policies we have today ... the greed of the banks.... these people are simply walking from their homes... leaving it... its sad really sad...
and dangerous for economy in long term

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by communicator

I live in Cleveland and I've seen it first hand! The value of my home has crashed and the mortgage note is about 15% higher than the current value of the home. I am now laid-off and have almost zero prospects for a decent job. I am doing my best to keep this roof over our heads but I cannot keep up. I, too, am contemplating taking all of our belongings and moving them out into storage and moving in with family. I will then call Uncles Sam and the bank and tell them that they can have my money pit.

Further, I am thinking about declaring bankruptcy. If the courts won't allow that then I will simply default on everything. I have no assets to seize. My savings are nearly gone - including 401K and other retirement (That's how we've been surviving) and have almost nothing to lose - not even my pride as that went months ago. I do not even have wages to garnish. My next step is food stamps and welfare. Thanks US government, fat old rich white men and the corporatocracy - FOR NOTHING!

The thing that slays me... I have worked an average of 60+ hours a week for the corporate beast. I sold my soul to the corporatocracy and made a bunch of old white guys bazillionaires but when the time came to stand up for me and my family they bailed out. Why? So some rich white bastard could get an additional $1M added to his golden parachute. All I have to say is that I hope the rip chord wraps itself around his spindly little neck and chokes him to death on his slow ride to HELL!

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
What I find mind-boggling is that apparantly, money is so tight that Chrysler just said "To hell with it! Let's just close for two weeks this summer, that'll save us some money."

And yet Bush says, "No - Spend, Spend!" He is on drugs or something. On second thought, consumer spending is all we have left after NAFTA so, may as well do your part.

This is insane. It's shameful that one of our largest employers is resorting to this. We are just a few paychecks away from being a third-world country.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

thats really sad to read about whats going on with you... and that is the same situation of one of my friend in Columbus OH... his biggest dream was to have a home and he did everything to keep it with him... he dried up all of his accounts to keep paying the mortgage and than last month he quit... he no longer pays his mortgage... he is still in his home and will be for a couple of months, till he saves enough to rent somewhere...

We have enough troubles in our land and with our people... but we still want to envade others and prove that we are best...

My friend I pray that you get a good job soon and things improve

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki
It's going stright to the credit card debt. I hate when politicians play us for fools like this.

I second that. My entire $1800 check will be going straight into debt. I understand that the entire purpose is to get people to spend...but that's not my problem. I probably would've spent it if they hadn't stolen it from my paycheck the first time.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by communicator

Thank you and God Bless...

That sound you hear is the American dream being flushed straight down the crapper. The silence that follows are the screams of the Americans smart enough to get it [crickets chriping]. I just hope that anyone who thinks that they are ok right now is also smart enough to realize that they're next.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
All I need is some money and I'll gladly infuse the economy with it! We may as well spend what they give us now, because it won't be worth the paper it's printed on later.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This is honestly one of the most depressing threads I have read. I feel bad for the American people and the suffering people go through when they lose their job, and consequently their home. I need to take a walk...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join