Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Indian DNA links to 6 'founding mothers' - Mormon Racism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Nearly all of today's Native Americans in North, Central and South America can trace part of their ancestry to six women whose descendants immigrated around 20,000 years ago, a DNA study suggests.

Link to article...

This article written by MALCOLM RITTER, AP Science Writer has summarized an ongoing research project by the Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation in Salt Lake City to find the genetic ancestry and migration of the first peoples who populated the Americas.

The Mormon's or Church of Latter Day Saints is very interested in this particular field of DNA study to confirm the claim of their founder Joseph Smith that the original inhabitants of the America's were one of the Lost Tribes of Israel.

By disproving that theory, they are in fact adding fuel to the fire of Mormon detractors that claim Joseph Smith was a False Prophet.

For more than 170 years The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has declared The Book of Mormon to be a scriptural and literal history. Subtitled "Another Testament of Jesus Christ," it recounts the story of an Israelite family who immigrated to and fully populated the American Continents. Jesus, after His death and resurrection, is said to have visited this once great Israelite civilization existing in the Americas. The Book of Mormon teaches that these Israelites are the principal ancestors of modern-day Native Americans. New discoveries in DNA research currently allow scientists to test this historical claim. Thousands of Native Americans from more than 150 tribes have been tested to determine their ancestry. Mormonism's founding prophet, Joseph Smith, once said, "I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion..." Now the same DNA evidence used in courts of law can credibly speak to the validity of The Book of Mormon, which serves as the foundation of the Mormon religion. The evidence answers one basic question: Are Israelites the principal ancestors of Native America?
Mormonism Exposed! -

Link to YouTube Video: DNA vs. the Book of Mormon

The current DNA proof that Joseph Smith lied, and is a False Prophet is shaking the LDS to it's very core.

[edit on 13-3-2008 by sanctum]
Thank you sanctum
Edit to change title of OP

[edit on 13-3-2008 by yankeerose]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
This video will give you a quick history of the lies that have been used by Mormons to subject Native American Indian's to racism and prejudice...

Video Link...

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I saw this story too and was interested but for a completely different reason. However, if your willing to believe the Native Americans were jews, and jesus lived in Mississippi, then you can probably explain away the dna evidence. Also the dna testing was mitochndrial, so it only pertains to the women. Maybe they could say the jews were the men, or something similar.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Thanks you for your reply Ruggeder.... and yes, I would think the mitochondrial DNA argument could be used. I just think that for the Latter Day Saints, this is the nail in the coffin as far as Joseph Smith is concerned.

I too was drawn to the article for a different reason. I have always been very interested in the early population migration of the America's. That the proof now lies so heavily in the Asian Landbridge connection is fascinating.

There is only one Native American tribe that I know of with some DNA connection to Northern Europe... and that is the Ojibwa. This tribe is very prevalent in Minnesota, and I have always admired their traditions and community.

[edit on 15-3-2008 by yankeerose]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
My Grandpa was full Ojibwa actually, which was my interest in it too actually. However I notice that real topics, things that actually have proof and can spark discussion never do well on ATS anymore. I was unaware that the land-bridge itself had a civilization on it, and its common sense i suppose considering how long the bridge was there, and it would give excellent fishing territory with beaches on dual sides. I suppose people who have the time will spend considerable time looking into it. Interesting though.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Okay, organized religion is making me angry with this one.
Let's leave the NA's alone. I think they've been through enough BS without the Mormons messing with their history too.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I find it interesting that the most effort being spent on Native American origins is coming from LDS universities. It began as a scientific way to prove the authenticity of Joseph Smiths book of Mormon. But it has in fact been outstanding science and research that has advanced all of our knowledge on the migration to the America's of the ancient tribes of Asia.

Though there are many probable theories of the first Americans... the land bridge migration seems to have the most remaining progeny.

Here is more info on the Ojibwe DNA mystery:

It was the latest report from colleagues of Doug Wallace who were investigating early human migrations. They were puzzling over mitochondrial DNA samples from a Native American tribe called the Ojibwa.

DOUGLAS WALLACE: When we studied the mitochondrial DNA of the Ojibwa we found, as we had anticipated, the four primary lineages—A, B, C and D—but there was about a quarter of the mitochondrial DNAs that was not A, B, C and D.

NARRATOR: There was a fifth source of DNA of mysterious origin. They called it X, and unlike A, B, C and D, they couldn't find it anywhere in Siberia or eastern Asia. But it was similar to an uncommon lineage in European populations today. At first, they thought it must be the result of interracial breeding within the last 500 years, sometime after Columbus.

DOUGLAS WALLACE: We naturally assumed that perhaps there had been European recent mixture with the Ojibwa tribe and that some European women had married into the Ojibwa tribe and contributed their mitochondrial DNAs.

NARRATOR: But that assumption proved wrong. When they looked at the amount of variation in the X lineage, it pointed to an origin long before Columbus, in fact, to at least 15,000 years ago. It appeared to be evidence of Ice Age Europeans in America.

DOUGLAS WALLACE: Well, what it says is that a mitochondrial lineage that is predominantly found in Europe somehow got to the Great Lakes region of the Americas 14,000 to 15,000 years ago.

America's Stone Age Explorers

Distribution of mitochondrial DNA lineages among Native American tribes of Northeastern North America

[edit on 15-3-2008 by yankeerose]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
In all fairness, the Mormons aren't the only group who have been attempting to rewrite the history of Native Americans.

The Wallace paper has been superceded by more recent discoveries which still point to Siberia: www.godandscience.org...

There's some new papers this week on the Mormon results as well as another paper saying "no multiple migrations; a single migration." I've weighed in on the side that says that author is wrong (I think the cultural and linguistic evidence is very clear for multiple migrations), and it's likely to be a lively debate (and need more evidence) before it's decided to anyone's satisfaction.

And yes, Berengia (the land between the US and Russia ) was inhabited during the last Ice Age. Archaeologists have longed to be able to have access to those continental shelf sites but the water is quite cold and research is very difficult.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Wow Then What about this Prominent Scientist have To say (^^,)

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I watched the real 10,000 BC on the history channel last weekend, and there are a few competitive theories of the first people, saying that perhaps some came from euro, but died out during a cataclysmic event. They were no doubting though that what we call native Americans came across the land bridge around 9,000BC, but there was some evidence (The way the arrow heads where made related to french people of the time (obviously not french but you know) and perhaps they some how came here sooner then the people from the land bridge. it was very interesting at least.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
What is with this people and the link to Israel? it tells very clear that Josephs Smith ancestry is span to England and Scotland and now they want to linked to native Americans and Israel?

You know how out of place this all sounds, I guess all the indigenous people that lived in the Americas north and south of it, prior to the discovery can be linked together then and hey lets make them all the lost tribe of Israel.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ShiftTrio

I feel that there were at least 4 separate routes that early humans used to get to North America, 3 by sea 1 by land.

If you look at the whole of the evidence it clearly points to people coming into North America from europe, asia and ploynesia.
The land bridge brought people who had lived in the forests of siberia, and their arrow points and hunting nets, clearly indicate a people who hunted small forest animal, birds sqirrels and the like, large game like dear and elk were prey of opportunity.
They brought with them their dogs, themselves decendants of siberian forest dwellers, wolves.
The other group of people to come the asiatic mainland came by water, following the coast and the margins of the sea ice as they worked thier way fishing and hunting marine mammals.
There is a site on catalina island, of the coast of Ca, that is some 12,000 years old.
So by 10,000 bc they had made it to catalina island, even then with lower sea level, still an island.

The site is also on the seaward side of the island, and show's evidence of fishing for open ocean fish.

At the same time people were doing the same thing from europe, following the coast and ice. They to hunted sea mammals and fished as well, but they started as big game hunters and only adapted as the climate changed.
They spread to western side of the atlantic, hunting seal and whales, and fished for cod.
When they moved inland and went back big game hunting, they brought with them their harpoon like spears and distinctive points.
Much has been made about the clovis and related points, but I think most anthropologists have missed the point, so to speak, on the whole system of the clovis spearhead.
The point was fixed to a wood or bone stub shaft, that was in turn fixed to a longer wooden shaft in such a way that the tub shaft detached from the main shaft.
It is said that this was so that the point could be lodged in the game and a new one reloaded into the shaft for a second strike.
A a secondary benefit, the real reason, in my opinion, is that stone s easy to come by in a glacial environment, but a good staight peice of wood is a gift from the gods.
They could sit around and make points when ever they felt like, but finding straight peices of wood in an enviromnent where trees are far and few between is not easy.
And since the point was expendable it became a good trade item for the others they ran into asa they spread westward.
The site at monte verde is very old and there is some evidence that point to a polynesian connection. And there are pottery samples from south america that are identical to pottery made i japan 10,000 years ago.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Howdy Punkinworks

Some questions

"And there are pottery samples from south america that are identical to pottery made i japan 10,000 years ago."

I believe you are referring to a claim in Before Columbus (Crown Publishers, Inc., N.Y. 1971; 224 pages)? Unforunately this claim has not been supported (as far as I know) by further study.

"At the same time people were doing the same thing from europe, following the coast and ice."

What land bridge existed at this time? Beringia linked Siberia and North America but what evidence do we have of a land bridge from Northern Europe to Iceland then Greenland to Canada?

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Interesting thread: Starred and flagged. It will be interesting to watch this unravel within the world of Momanity.

As far as orgins of people in the Western Hemisphere:
I am still struggling with this one Olmec head. A couple of the others seem out of place too. Some say it looks African.

Olmec Heads at Wikipedia

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki
Interesting thread: Starred and flagged. It will be interesting to watch this unravel within the world of Momanity.

As far as orgins of people in the Western Hemisphere:
I am still struggling with this one Olmec head. A couple of the others seem out of place too. Some say it looks African.

Howdy Stikkinikki

I'm sure the LDS will find a way around it as they have done with multiple marriage and race.

There are 17 known Olmec heads, only four show characteristics that might be considered "African". I've been to that part of Mexico and some of the people there show a trait of flat lips.

Olmec Heads at Wikipedia

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
DNA GENEALOGY PATTERN of a Mans DNA Comes from the EAST

youtube.com...
youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Can those who post YouTube videos PLEASE add a summary of what you are posting? Something in your OWN words. I have dial-up (like MANY others) and I'd like to know what I'm viewing BEFORE the 20 min download.

Have a heart, huh? Don't let YouTube speak for you, speak for yourself and present YouTube videos to support it.

Cuhail

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
This is How I roll It's Not only ME it is US all of US (^^,) TEAMWORK and UNITY

Daniel 12:4, 9-10

4 But you, Daniel, close up and seal the words of the scroll until the time of the end. Many will go here and there to increase knowledge."

9 He replied, "Go your way, Daniel, because the words are closed up and sealed until the time of the end. 10 Many will be purified, made spotless and refined, but the wicked will continue to be wicked. None of the wicked will understand, but those who are wise will understand.

Revelation 22:11

11Let him who does wrong continue to do wrong; let him who is vile continue to be vile; let him who does right continue to do right; and let him who is holy continue to be holy."

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

they came by sea in boats, following the coast line and the margins of the pack ice. Not by land bridge.
The significance of the catalina island sites is that they prove that people were making their way south along the west coast of North America by boat at least 12k years ago.
The sites in extreme south america and their age point ot people coming by sea.
The pottery might not be quite that old, I'm trying to find the site that had the info, but there is a very particular type of earlyjapanese pottery that
is specific to a small region in japan. It is specific not because of technique or style, but unique because the clay can only be found in that region of japan.
No I did not read it in the cited work, I read about the anomolous find in south america, in an article in a archeology magazine. They saw it more as a stylistic chance occurance.
But then I read an article by a japanese archeologist, who mantained that the type of cly used in the pottery was unique to t that particulaur area of japan.
His work was mainly in the spread of proto japanese and polynesians and africans through the south pacific. And how japanese items show up on islands all the way across the south pacific.

There are some sites in the carolinas that pre-date sites from farther north.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
DNA blood tests...genelogy?

Christianity and its history through Japanese animation: anime
China History Forum, Chinese History Forum > Origins of Tibetans

Ancient knowledge?

Isaiah 34:16

16 Look in the scroll of the LORD and read:
None of these will be missing,
not one will lack her mate.
For it is his mouth that has given the order,
and his Spirit will gather them together.

[edit on 17-3-2008 by johnb1]

Mod Note: Forum Image Linking Policy – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 17-3-2008 by Jbird]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join