It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Summer's Blockbuster? Iron Man will crush Dark Knight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
One look at the trailer and you'll agree.

Great cast:
Jeff Bridges
Samuel L Jackson as "Nick Fury"
Stan Lee
Nazanin Boniadi (need I say more?)

Jaw-dropping scenes, tech, action, CGI.

Improvisational dialog.

Combo of Superman, Robocop, James Bond, Tom Clancy, Batman Begins.

From IMdB Gallery:

This is one movie I'll see on the big screen - no question about it. See you there.

[edit on 13-3-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I'd take that bet, if it was a bet.

Dark Knight will destroy it, especially now that Ledger's dead. That still doesn't mean Iron Man won't rock!

Peace

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I can't wait for both. After seeing the extended Iron Man trailer, that movie looks like it will actually be a good adaptation, unlike most comic book movies. As long as the Dark Knight remains true to the vision brought forth in Batman Begins, that will also be a good one. I'm going to the theater to see them both.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
I'd take that bet, if it was a bet.

Dark Knight will destroy it, especially now that Ledger's dead.

Peace

Your minions have seriously misinformed you, Doctor. Heath Ledger had finished filming his role of The Joker.

Release date still set for July 17, 2008.

Now if you're saying 'He's dead, Jim', as in his zombie will make an appearance, then that's a different story.

From the pen of the talented Ryan Ottley

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

No, what I meant is that Ledger's death will bring more people to the box office IMO, as if the Dark Knight needed it anyways. Like you said, this is Ledger's last completed role. People who may have waited 'til the DVD comes out may go see the movie in the theater as an homage to Ledger. Don't make any mistake, this movie is more about the Joker, arguably the most beloved comic villain ever, and less about Batman.

Regardless, even if Ledger wasn't dead, the Dark Knight would still win out.

Peace

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love .

Regardless, even if Ledger wasn't dead, the Dark Knight would still win out.

Peace

Oh yes.You can bet your sweet behind on that one..

Iron man's just a rip off of 'Captain Amazing' from 'Mystery Men' anyhoo

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Regardless, even if Ledger wasn't dead...

Don't make any mistake, this movie is more about the Joker...

Then...Heath and Bruce were roommates? (scratches head)

Wait! You're saying that all this time the Joker was sub-letting from Batman?

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Iron man will be a moderate success, but critically will be a bomb of a movie, just like 90% of all the comic to film translations.

Dark Knight on the other hand, will blow iron man out of the water, not just in the box office, but with critical response.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Holygamer

It's good to have a robust fantasy life.

Batman is SO over.

Ironman rules. Tony Stark makes the bat look like a bad rubber suit, nipples or not.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

I feel bad for the disallusioned.

You will leave that theater with a sense of melancholy and disappointment so bad that even Jack Daniels will not be able to resolve.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Holygamer

I even don't own a dog, but I'll throw Batman a bone.

Christian Bale rules!

But, why is Katie Holmes in this movie wearing a Maggie Gyllenhaal mask?

[edit on 13-3-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
No way. Won't even be close. What Dr. Love said about Ledger as the Joker's impact, all true.

But honestly, I think that maybe Indy 4 might whoop 'em both?

I would also bet that the new Bond film will shred Ironman.

Personally, I'm sick of these over-CGI'd films of the Ironman sort.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaiser Sohse

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Is Mr Jones playing a Mummy? The guy's ancient; he can draw Social Security already. In his own words, "I'm getting old enough to play my own father so Sean isn't needed anymore."

OTOH, the Mayans haven't played a major ball park in quite awhile. They may choke.

To reprise his role as the legendary explorer Indiana Jones, the 64-year-old Harrison Ford spent three hours a day at the gym, and subsisted on a high-protein diet of fish and vegetables, thus building his body into a condition where he could perform his own stunts

Steven Spielberg later stated he was so impressed with Ford's form that he could not tell the difference between the shoots for the third and fourth films, and denied there was extra money in the cinematographer's budget for vaseline for the lenses.

We'll have to wait and see.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I'm just afraid that indy 4 will have too much CG like the Star wars prequels.

Theres already an issue in the trailer about CGI pants.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Dark Knight will make 100 Million more than Iron Man... I'd take that bet.

Sure Iron man looks cool.. but ill wait for the DVD. Dark Knight...... my god, that trailer makes me so excited.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Although I think the OP is seriously wrong, I am ecstatic that they finally made a SECOND realistic superhero movie.

That's what, I think, made Batman Begins such a success, because it was REALISTIC.

I'm pumped to see Iron Man too, but I've been stoked for the Batman Begins sequel ever since it ended after the first time I watched it.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Yep, exactly.

Hell, and I'd even bet that Shia LeBeouf will outdraw that celeb-rehab wannabe Robert Downet Jr. 7 days a week, and twice on Sundays!!!

OK, maybe "celeb-rehab wannabe" is a bit too far. He is afterall the original "Less than Zero"!

But that's exactly the point. Do you know how many original Indy fans there are? And then compound that with the young Shia LeBeouf fans?

For many a mature film buff, and were talking demographics here now, a Robert Downet Jr. film is strictly a rental, if viewed at all.

The truth is that in this day and age, discretionary income, the kind you buy movie tickets with, is held substantially more by people who watched Indy in thier earlier years, and will go see him again. They recognize names like Spielberg, Lucas, and Ford, and would prefer to spend thier money on that investment rather then some ex-junkie-in-a-big-budget-super-CGI-based-comic-book-concept film.

Comic books? Didn't those go out in the 70's?????????????

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaiser Sohse

Well put.

Everyone talks about the Dark Knight trailer, but nobody posts the HD widescreen IMAX trailer.

Robert Downey is pictured next to smarmy in the dictionary, so no argument there.

Though I didn't like Transformers, there seems to be just a smidge of that in the 'suit'. Enough to intrigue, but not confuse.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll both be good?

I kind of like the dialog and humor I saw in the IM trailer, so as long as they don't jump cut too quickly then I can't see it sucking. Did you read the IMdB trivia?

[edit on 14-3-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Absolutely, I enjoyed the IM trailer too. Great cast, and Ironman has lots of potential, but I don't think it outdraws some of these upcoming sequels.

I just read the trivia, interesting for sure. Another thing I just discovered was that the director is John freaking Favreau!!!!

He's awesome, and allthough this is somewhat of a departure for him, it makes the film a far more interesting proposition.

new topics

top topics

join