It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My daughter forced to be "pro-lifer"

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice

If your daughter was blatently disruptive in class she should have been dealt with. That teacher was the person in authority at that time. Do you allow her to outright defy you like that at home?
What does a junior in high school know about politics other than what her friends tell her and what she hears from her parents. Expressing her opinion is one thing, but outright defiance of her high school teacher and principal should have been dealt with by you. Now you have instilled in her that she can defy anyone she wants any time. I wish her luck in holding down a job.

I never said my daughter was disruptive in the classroom, what I said is the teacher wanted to disapline her for disruption because she spoke out about a view the teacher didn't agree with. For the record it's hard to summerize all the facts in a story like this in a few paragraphs for a post, but after hearing the teachers side of the story, the principles side, and my daughters side, I decided to support my daughter on this.

My daughter is an accelerated learner, she probably knows more about politics then you and I put together. She's very academically inclined and not usually outspoken, but in this case she felt the teacher should have incouraged an unbiased discussion and not imposed her views on the class. That was what I was supporting.

It's interesting to me how many ppl in ATS want to fight when they don't no anything about the other person. You missed the point all together. It wasn't about who was right or who was wrong in this situation, it was about one person standing up and saying, "I'm just as important as you are, and no I'm not going to blindly believe what you say!" and I'll support that until the day I die! My greatest hope is that my daughter will grow into an adult who will not let others dictate her opinions!

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

Read what the OP states. It is a Province funded school, with options of only Catholic and Protestant choices on top of that, if I read correctly.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   

important note..... THIS IS NOT A PRIVATE SCHOOL BUT A PUBLIC, TAXPAYER FUNDED SCHOOL.

I honestly overlooked that in the OP
I have never heard of a public Christian school, ever. There are quite a few Christian schools where I live and they are all paid for by the parents. The very idea of a Christian school means it is backed by a Church of it's particular denomination. I can't imagine a publicly funded Christian school. If that is the case, and I don't believe it is, then the school should be a bit more lenient with it's teachings.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
This is the case, it is the same in britain.

In Britain public schools are either non-religious/protestant or they are catholic.

It is still up to the parents where they send their child and this decision affects what the child will learn, for instance Catholic schools do not teach sex education other than the basic biology, whereas in non-religious schools it is taught to the extent that pupils are given lessons on putting condoms on cucumbers.

In Catholic schools religious education is compulsory, in non-religious schools it is not.

I don't think the fact they are public should have an effect on what they teach, it is common sense that a Catholic school will teach pro-life and that they will not allow posters that are pro-abortion.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I am the OP

In my area the Catholic school system is also known as the "public school board".

I didn't pay thousands of dollars for a private school, except for the $5000 a year I pay in property taxes.

I agree... if I sent my daughter to a private Christian school I should just keep my mouth shut.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by wrathchild
I am the OP

In my area the Catholic school system is also known as the "public school board".

I didn't pay thousands of dollars for a private school, except for the $5000 a year I pay in property taxes.

I agree... if I sent my daughter to a private Christian school I should just keep my mouth shut.

I don't think you are wrong for questioning this issue, it obviously bothered you enough to want to talk about it, but if I may ask, what country do you live in that only has a Catholic or Protistant school system to choose from?

I went to a Catholic school as a child, at least for a couple of years I did. I was only in the first and second grade then, but there is one very weird day I remember. Someone in the classroom began to smell bad. The teacher (a Nun) made each child stand up, in turn, and pull down their pants to see who might have had an accident. She stopped before she got to me, but I remember being mortified that I would have to pull down my panties in front of the whole class. The shame of that action was so horrifying to me that I remember it to this day, and I'm no spring chicken! lol

Sometimes I really think ppl loose perspective when passionate about a belief. Young minds are so vulnerable and I don't think, as parents, that we can question enough, when it comes to our children.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I live in St.Albert Alberta Canada.

It's a unique district here due to the City was founded by Jesuit missionary's. Not all of Canada has this type of school system.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by wrathchild

Not exactly on topic, but how can you identify yourself as being Catholic and take issue with the pro-life movement? It is one of the tennents of the Faith, afterall. This is why the Church is falling apart...

RRRRAMONE! Find me the number for Mel Gibson's traditionalist RC church!

(props for the good taste in radio programs, BTW)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join