It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mythbusters are going to debunk NASA moon landing myths

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
NASA TV's This Week @NASA, Week Ending Feb. 8

The Marshall Space Flight Center hosted the cast of the Myth Busters television show. The Myth Busters chose Marshall as one of several NASA locations for an episode to debunk the notion that NASA never landed on the moon.

The cast conducted tests involving a feather, a weight, a lunar soil boot print and a flag in a vacuum. A team of Marshall Scientists helped with the tests.

From Bad Astronomy Blog

Yes, well, I need to divulge a secret: I know about it. I served as an informal advisor on the show. :-)

The build team — Kari, Grant, and Tory — went to Marshall Space Flight Center to use a vacuum chamber there (it was even reported in the local paper). Looks like they’ll be recreating Dave Scott’s famous feather and hammer drop from Apollo 15, as well as the hoax claim that dry lunar regolith can’t hold a footprint, and how the flag can wave in a vacuum.

Reproducing the lunar surface in a studio can’t be terribly easy, but they’re a smart group. This should be a lot of fun to watch!

This will be very interesting indeed, especially since the mythbusters have this policy not to tackle controversial myth such as 9/11 "myths".
Will you trust their results?

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Mythbusters has just a hugh following that many will believe any results given. Therefor it is a great way for NASA to try and shut everyone up...Hard Core conspiracy theorists excepted.

They can show the results they are told to show. Same as if they were to do the 9/11 story.
My favourite example of this is the speed camera myths. There is no way any authority would allow them to show if there were a way to avoid the camera so they show the busted versions so noone tries it at home.
Dont get me wrong. I love the show. It is great enternainment but am a little sceptical with some of the results.
I would hate to be the one reading the mountains of mail from this moon landing ep.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Can you expound on that? I think I've seen every episode of mythbusters and I haven't seen anything yet that leads me to believe they're falsifying anything.

I see you used the license plate episode as an example. Do you personally know anyone that has used any of those products with success? I realize that it's the nature of this site to be skeptical. I guess I'm just one of the fans you mentioned...

[edit on 12-3-2008 by BlueTriangle]

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Thats easy.

First there are the "revisit" episodes where they don't quite experiment enough according to fans or want to try things a different way which tells me they werent thorough enough the first time. This would be easy to do in the case where they want a certains result.

Second, using the example of the spped camera, if they tried a way of avoiding the camera and it was confirmed, they simply wouldn't put it to air.

I am not saying it is always the case or that Jamie or Adam are frauds. Not by a long shot, but what I am saying is they would be edited/censored to a degree. Are they towing to corporate line? possibly.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I've seen Mythbusters take on a few 'myths' that are actually impossible to bust... but they are VERY picky about the circumstance and setting of their experiments. It will be the same here.

Not saying there is anyway to prove the capability of a fake moon landing... especially in the 60's. Considering this is the modern age it would be incredibly easy for a Hollywood studio to pull it off. But in this case, I'm sure they're going to make it seem difficult or impossible (which is hardly the truth.)

Mythbusters is great. But I don't like when they step on the toes of conspiracy theories and consider themselves experts. They are a T.V. show... not a covert government operative with billions of dollars...

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I agree that they have leanings on such things. Best example the breathalizer episode. That killed mythbusters a little for me. You KNOW 100% that if they found a way to beat it, it would never ever get on the air. What was the point of the episode then? No matter what results, they would show busted...It was like watching an afterschool special. I think something like this (the moon landing) would have similar results. It will be very easy to make a biased test that will lead towards the "correct" results.

Plus, its completly feasable the the government could have faked it... the question isn't if they couldv'e, but if they did...

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Once again MythBusters comes to the God-verments rescue. This show is notorious for

promoting all the latest propaganda. I'll never forget the episode When they make poor

Kari get RFID chipped. That was so NWO agenda. And also lets not forget the episode

Where they try to prove a person could fly and land a commercial airplane with no

experience (911 anyone) or maybe they decided not to air that episode i don't really

remember because they postponed it.

Mythbusters is evil and a whole lot of horse bung - that's what I think!!!!

If you want know the truth about something - get off the couch and go see for

yourself!!!!!

Learning and believing in lies is far worse than not learning anything.

[edit on 13-3-2008 by CyberTruth]

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
The only way they can really prove that episode is to build them a spaceship exactly the way NASA did it back in 1969. They would have to build Apollo 11 and have the same guys who manned it, not the myth buster crew. Then they would have to take off from the earth and land on the moon the exact same way that Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins did. That means taking off back in 1969 with that weather, with that solar cycle and everything exact. They can't do it unless they have a time machine that can put them there. But still they would need the pilots and mission control people who made it happen. They never take everything into consideration and emphasize when they have to. I saw an episode where they tried to fly the same kite that Benjamin Franklin flew. They couldn't get the real one to fly so made a different one and said that the experiment worked. How can it work with a different kite?

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
This is so trite I'm sure, but why the hell do people believe we never landed on the moon? I mean, some conspiracies are crazy, some are plausible, some are odd, and some are just, "whaaaaaaaaaaaa?" I mean, honestly, there are people who believe the moon landing was a fake? Really?

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Remember the "Ice Bullet" show.... where they got heavily redacted CIA documents?

The CIA actually has a "stealth" bullet composed of dense ceramic the mimics Bone fragmentation on impact. It is extremely clever, the SAS used something similar in Northern Ireland.

The bullet cannot be detected by conventional means as it so closely resembles human bone material.

It is designed to fragment on impact with a bone and penetrate right through if no bone is struck. Hitting concrete or a hard non-bodily surface the bullet will turn to dust and a few tiny fragments are all that will remain.

No one will be able to identify it as a bullet.

This bullet does not engage the rifling within a barrel but still functions as though it does.

God Bless America!

[edit on 13-3-2008 by doctormcauley]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
ever since mythbusters made a big joke out of getting a verichip implanted, they have been dead to me.

Mythbusters = the enemy, entertainment, some education, LOTS of brainwashing. How unfortunate, it is a decent show. Just like Fox News is entertaining and educational, but more propaganda than anything else.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Generally I find it a boring show.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver
They are a T.V. show... not a covert government operative with billions of dollars...

....have to disagree:

TLC imports a significant amount of programming material from the United Kingdom mostly through its parent company's ties to the BBC....

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 13-3-2008 by anhinga]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANT
Thats easy.

First there are the "revisit" episodes where they don't quite experiment enough according to fans or want to try things a different way which tells me they werent thorough enough the first time. This would be easy to do in the case where they want a certains result.

Look, there's a big difference between disagreeing with the experimental setup and outright falsifying the results. If you can prove that they've actually falsified results, by all means prove it. The burden of proof is on you to do so. Just claiming "skepticism" without a valid reason based on fact is not valid.

Second, using the example of the spped camera, if they tried a way of avoiding the camera and it was confirmed, they simply wouldn't put it to air.

An intentionally unproveable, unfalsifyable statement. How convienent for you.

I am not saying it is always the case or that Jamie or Adam are frauds.
Actually the latter is exactly what you just implied.

Not by a long shot, but what I am saying is they would be edited/censored to a degree. Are they towing to corporate line? possibly.
And there you implied it again. How about proving it? If you have issues with their moon hoax busting experimental setups, then you're free to state your objections, but you don't get to falisfy it de facto just because you "think they're frauds."

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by anhinga

Originally posted by NewWorldOver
They are a T.V. show... not a covert government operative with billions of dollars...

....have to disagree:

TLC imports a significant amount of programming material from the United Kingdom mostly through its parent company's ties to the BBC....

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 13-3-2008 by anhinga]

How is that a "covert government operative"?! And no, the mythbusters is not part of the programming material that comes from the united kingdom, they film and produce it right here in the US. Besides, they're on Discovery Channel, not TLC.

[edit on 13-3-2008 by ngchunter]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
The only way they can really prove that episode is to build them a spaceship exactly the way NASA did it back in 1969. They would have to build Apollo 11 and have the same guys who manned it, not the myth buster crew. Then they would have to take off from the earth and land on the moon the exact same way that Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins did. That means taking off back in 1969 with that weather, with that solar cycle and everything exact. They can't do it unless they have a time machine that can put them there. But still they would need the pilots and mission control people who made it happen. They never take everything into consideration and emphasize when they have to. I saw an episode where they tried to fly the same kite that Benjamin Franklin flew. They couldn't get the real one to fly so made a different one and said that the experiment worked. How can it work with a different kite?

You're missing the entire point. The point, generally, is not to prove whether something did or did not actually happen historically, the point is to see if you can prove that it COULD NOT have happened as told or not. That Ben Franklin's experiment works with a different kite that's made out of things they could have used in the past proves that the story is plausible, regardless of whether it's actually true or not. Likewise, with the son of a gun episode they showed that it's physically impossible for the story of the sperm-carrying-bullet to be true. The moon hoax case is somewhat different because there are very specific claims being made here as "proof" that it was faked. If you dismantle those claims and show why they are not proof that it was faked then you take away all evidence that it didn't happen. If you choose to continue believing that it didn't happen then all you have left is blind faith, not proof. In addition, from what I know of this episode, they're going to test to see if faking it was even possible back then. The truth is that it would have been far more difficult to fake it than to actually go (a hint; to fake the footage adequately you would need a vacuum chamber several kilometers wide at least to be flown in parabolic arcs to reduce gravity).

[edit on 13-3-2008 by ngchunter]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I can barely supress my gidiness in anticipation of the arrival, late this year, of the Lunar Reconnaisance Orbiter at the moon. I look forward, with great elation, to the publication of the images the LRO will transmit back to Earth showing the lunar landers and rovers, etc.

I anticipate, with even more apprehension, the cries of FAKE! FAKE!

lunar.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I understand that it's the nature of ATS that a good portion of the people assume that there's a conspiracy in anything and everything. I just don't see it. You say that the government would step in if they proved that any of these products work...I say BS. If this was the case, would the government not just shut down the websites that sell these products?? Many of them are hosted right here in the good old USA.

To go off on a tangent here, I can see a slightly different reason why perhaps the results could be skewed. Liability. I remember one episode where they made gunpowder and napalm. They were not allowed to show the viewer how to do it and I think it was probably or liability reasons. If a viewer followed the directions and hurt themselves, they could sue the show. I might buy the liability explanation, but I do not buy the government angle and there's no proof to back up this accusation.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
its funny people getting so uptight about RFID chips.

it must make you scared to think about the far future. Chips in our brains to make us more intelligent & nano-bots in our bodies to help our immune system.

Transhumanists are right into it. They seek to use radical technologies to improve humans, the ultimate goal being to become immortal and super-intelligent, in effect to become gods.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

You are missing my point. In the examples I am not saying this is what they ACTUALLY DO but what they could POSSIBLY DO. It wouldn't be too hard to present not quite accurate info for certain situations if required or instructed. I would like emphasise I do not think they are frauds in any way, they could very well preform the experiments as best they can but at the end of the day they are not the ones who ultimatley decide what is or isnt aired.

I think it a great show and very entertaining and informative. Cybertruth suggested getting up and finding out for yourself. Some of the experiments cannot be done by the average joe due to finances or access to certain materials etc .

Mythbusters is very much like ATS. Always entertaining, usually informative and never to be viewed without a common sense filter.

[edit on 13/3/2008 by VIKINGANT]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join