It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traumatised South African children play 'rape me' games

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Traumatised South African children play 'rape me' games

www.guardian.co.uk

South African schoolchildren are so affected by crime that they play games of "rape me, rape me" and mimic robberies in the playground, according to the country's human rights commission. In a report on school violence published yesterday, the commission said schools were the "single most common" site of crimes against children, such as robbery and assault, including rampant sexual violence, some of it by teachers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This is not only one of the saddest stories but one of the most disturbing I have read in quite awhile. When children are surrounded by such a violent and crime filled life, what are they left with? Games that mimic the very crimes they witness everyday.
the saddest part is that some of the crimes are perped by their teachers. What the hell is happening over there? Is the UN going to step in? Actually, there is a story I browsed stating that the UN is losing in Darfur, so I am betting they will not show up anywhere in South Africa. Probably better off as they can't seem to get anything right. It is very sad that these children have to be subject to this kind of life. It has to be brought into the global communities eyes and something has to be done. It seems, IMO, that there is some sort of agenda to just let African nations either starve or kill themselves off. Pretty disturbing.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   
pale horse, i always read your posts, they are well informed and topical. this is a sad story but it seems that the dencer the population becomes the madder people become.......desmond morris (the zoologist) calls this the human zoo syndrome. when caged (or uncaged as in many over crowded chimp populations) animals have no stimulus,room and are overpopulated they exhibit mad behaviour. this i believe is what is happening to us the human animal.
m x

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I am living in South Africa. I was sexually harassed at school (by other boys in an all boys' school) and it just seems to be getting worse. Thank goodness it wasn't a teacher, but I have heard of molestation by teachers.

Our society is becoming increasingly violent AND sexual.
I was watching the news just the other day and while I tend not to trust the news they had videos (probably recorded by other students on cellphones) of children beating the s**t out of each other.
I am fairly sure one cause of such action is movies, tv and computer games but it is not the root of the problem.
Divorce is prevalent and I suspect domestic violence is increasing too. Boys who don't have father figures or see their fathers beating their mothers will want to assert themselves among peers, mostly through ridicule of others (not in their little clique), violence and even sexual harassment.
Absence of a mother to give a child attention would result in them being stupid and doing very dangerous things or disrupting others to get the attention they seek.

I am no psychologist or trained professional in these matters, but this is the logical effect that the causes I mentioned would have.

new topics

top topics

join