It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Church of Scientology Files Restraining Order Against Anonymous

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   

With the Internet activist group Anonymous threatening a second round of protests against Scientology this weekend, the Clearwater-based church went to court late Tuesday, filing a petition for a temporary restraining order.
Anonymous, which describes itself as a loosely affiliated group united against the injustices perpetrated by Scientology, coalesced in January after a video of Scientologist Tom Cruise was leaked to YouTube and then promptly removed because of threats from Scientology attorneys

The Church of Scientology is claiming that the protesters were not peaceful at their last protest, and claim they have documented threats, allegedly coming from members of Anonymous.

I found this article rather interesting, and am curious to see how it turns out. Not because of pro or anti Scientology opinions, but because I didn't realize you can get a restraining order against a group that PLANS to protest.

www.sptimes.com...

[edit on 12-3-2008 by Master_Wii]

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
As I understand it, you have to serve a restraining order. Now that is a physical thing where you hand the restraining order to a person, even if they represent a group. I don't see this working well in this case.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I see that they filed for the restraining order but it didn't say whether one was granted, did I miss that part?

I did find this line amusing:

Representatives of Anonymous could not be reached for comment.

How are they going to find them? Look up anonymous in the phone book

ed:sp

[edit on 3/12/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
How is this restraining order going to hold up in all the countries that protests are planned in?

Maybe Scientology lawyers will just post it on all the Anon boards across the internet. That should do it.

I am anxiously awaiting this weekend to see how this goes.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
This is new ground for me, what exactly is it the scientologists have supposed to have done?

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DwnitsDwn

Please feel free to check out existing threads here on ATS.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 12-3-2008 by Master_Wii]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Dumb move IMHO.

Quite how the COS hopes this puts them in a positive light as a supposed organisation with nothing to hide I don't know. To me it suggests they are trying to supress. Theres only one way (down) when you get to that stage.

I will say, though, that it seems that some of Anon aren't capable of putting things in a calm and polite manner, and they aren't doing themselves any favours either. Like it or not public perception usually favours doing stuff in a proper legal framework.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Judge declines Scientologists' request for restraining order

CLEARWATER, Fla. — A judge has refused to order members of a loose-knit protest group to stay away from Church of Scientology buildings in Clearwater. The church went to court earlier this week claiming that a group known as Anonymous was responsible for threatening Internet video clips, phone calls and other harassment aimed at the church and its members

lets see how this protest turns out. The saga continues........

www.fortmilltimes.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Yes they tried their best to get everything shut down.. But the courts here in clearwater refused this!
Yet today on the news about 15 mins ago. Clearwater area was shut down. A bomb threat! And turned out to be a bible and some clothes in the box!
IF you ask me, CoS planted this and made the whole thing up.
Expect this on the 15th. More planted bomb threats. Inside jobs, and much more mockery from CoS.

So they claim they have nothing to hide.. They sure are getting sue crazy agin! And sertinly seem to act like a group with MUCH to HIDE!

There have been, so far today, reports of 'bomb scares' at or near
scientology properties in the USA. These both come on the heels of
Scientology losting it's second attempt to suppress the rights of
others to have a of peaceful protest on the sidewalks of it's
properties in Clearwater.

I cannot imagine anyone being stupid enough to even think it was a
good thing to scre the church with bombs. No One I know or know of
whould do that. I don't know any of the of anonymous people excepot
those by their posts here and I think they are nice people. I do know
that members have stated to each other here and in posts elsewhere
that there will be no unlawful activites, so could it be that CoS is
doing this against itself in last ditch pleas for commradery with the
police or something? Or could it be a few loose cannons pretending to
be anons?

groups.google.com...

More from my local news stations.
www.baynews9.com...

[edit on 13-3-2008 by zysin5]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

WOW..starred! This cult is very very dangerous. Like a wounded animal there back is against the wall......I dont think the bomb threat will be their last bite. (in my own opinion, they have something up there sleeves) I say bring it on!

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Master_Wii

Unfortunately that judge is probably in for some harrassment and blow-back from CoS. Keep an eye on that one.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Washington, D.C. Anonymous vs. Scientology, An Eyewitness Account, Part 1

This favorite Irish holiday confusion was a clever disguise for those wanting to blend in to the sunny, and warm day of city-goers. There was a frenetic, but friendly atmosphere within the Anonymous group. Many of the protesters walked the perimeter making sure the paths and sidewalks were kept clear for passersby, including the elderly and plenty of moms with strollers. The women of Anonymous doing what women do, looking out for the old and young. This really was just a crowd of everyday folks taking part in something they seemed to feel passionate about: opposing the Church of Scientology.

go Anonymous!!!! Im behind you all the way!

glosslip.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Group called Anonymous protests Scientology policies in Clearwater FL

CLEARWATER — While thousands of college kids on spring break enjoyed a gorgeous Saturday on Clearwater Beach, another group of young people descended on the otherwise-deserted downtown wearing surgical masks, fake beards and bandannas.

A group of about 150 people, mostly college-age, spent the sun-splashed day protesting the Church of Scientology outside its spiritual headquarters.

You have to love this. Anonymous in every major city. Theres no where for you to run CoS.

www.tampabay.com...

new topics

top topics

join