NEWS: Oil spill in the Mississippi River

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
A freighter has ran into a 600 ft. oil tanker in the Mississippi River, resulting in 22,000 gallons of oil spilling into the river.

HeraldTribune.com
“NORCO, La. --
A freight liner ran into an oil tanker moored in the Mississippi River on Friday morning, causing about 22,000 gallons of oil to spill into the water, the U.S. Coast Guard said.”

Originally a 50-mile stretch of the river was closed to cleanup the spill. The spill has now been contained to a 17-mile area of the river now, and reports are stating that oil has not made it to the shore on either side of the river. The Coast Guard’s Marine Safety Division in New Orleans is investigating what caused the 739 ft. freighter to run into the 600 ft. oil tanker. The tanker was reported to have been moored properly and was not moving at the time.

[Edited on 20-2-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Now I am seeing estimates of 40,000 gallons being spilled. I wonder how high this will climb before this is all done

Rueters
"About 500 barrels of ship fuel spilled in the accident, and were being cleaned up Friday morning. There was no spillage of crude oil, officials said. "

So crude oil is bad, but spilling thousands of gallons of diesel into the Missisisppi River has no serious effect? The spin has started already.

[Edited on 20-2-2004 by dbates]

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Oh my.

Lets hope not too many deaths result of this. Tsk tsk...

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 02:41 AM
link   
It's amazing that this doesn't happen more often considering the traffic that must exist in that area.

join