It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outrage Over Parents' Decision to Have Down Syndrome Child Undergo Cosmetic Surgery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Down Syndrome Cosmetic Surgery

The parents of a girl with Down syndrome have caused a public outcry in the U.K. by subjecting their daughter to cosmetic surgery to improve her appearance.

Georgia Bussey underwent "radical and painful" cosmetic surgery three times by age 5 so she could "fit in" with her peers, the U.K.'s Daily Mail reported Sunday.

Parents of another girl with Down syndrome told the paper that they were also considering altering her appearance in the future so she could be more "accepted.”

Critics in the U.K. slammed the parents, with some even claiming the procedures were tantamount to child abuse. However, the parents hit back, saying that no one complained when "normal" children had their ears pinned back.

"Why should it be any different for a Downs child?" asked Georgia’s mother Kim Bussey.

Wow....

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Wow? That's it?

This is quite unusual in my experience, but the truth is that those with Down Syndrome are born with significant deformities that signal their condition from even very great distances.

Children with birth defects often have to undergo these very same kinds of procedures early in life and I don't see a difference between children with a cleft palate and a children with Down Syndrome having surgery to give them a more normal appearance.

This is a matter that should be between the parents and their MDs.

The do-gooders should find a real cause to champion.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

It is quite normal for downs children to get their eyes, lips,noses, toes and tongues done here in the United States. When I read more on the subject I had not heard of having the chin and forhead sugeries. The dramma here seems to come from groups that object to parents having their girl children sterilized rather then subject them to periods or birth control.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Outrage, eh?

Pretty damn quiet where i am atm.

I love it how the Daily mail likes to exaggerate everything it can.

top topics

join