It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happens When Oil Hits $120??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Had to keep myself from going to class just because of the gas prices and not really hearing anything from my boss yet about the number of hours I can work. If it jumps that high I swear, writing a letter to my congress person and asking about a transit system in this town. Everything is spaced out to damn far. Half my tank is gone just getting to my college campus and coming back. I'm a college student not a billionaire

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
When oil prices hit the $120 per barrel mark several things will happen. Food prices will go through the roof, fuel prices will soar, there will be fuel surcharges attached to everything, employers will starting cutting back on their workforces demanding yet more work out of their remaing staff, unemployment will rise due to the inability of low wage workers to buy gas for their vehicles, the crime rate will skyrocket in large cities, and the homeless situation only worsen.

Alternate power sources are a great idea, but they should have been researched and implemented a couple of decades ago. Hybrid cars are nice, but as someone said, how exactly do you buy one if you can't even feed yourself and your family?

Mass transit is a good idea for city dwellers, but even that would take time to implement and fund. People who live in rural areas and commute long distances to earn a living wage will still be on the short end of the transportation stick.Try and walk or ride a bike 30 miles each way daily..

Bush has no plans to release any of the nations oil reserves, there's no profit in that for him and his oil buddies. So, what do we do? Either suck it up, or you can contact your Congressman and try to do something about it. Oh, if you're religious you might wantto say a prayer or two as well.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Cowgirlstraitup7

You have stated my sentiments to the tee! We all own vehicles now, most still making payments. These 'Green Cars' are not cheaper by no means. How about those that can only afford used vehicles? It will take many many years before these hybrids are affordable to the middle class. We need to get back on the bikes! I'm having a heart attack thinking about it, but we must change our lifestyles.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
It means there is a lot more hauling arse on a crotch rocket in my future.

Seriously, I got a YZF600R, and it cost 3200$. It gets 50-55 mpg, and runs 11 flat at the dragstrip. (Quick acceleration kit)

Oh yeah did I mention how much more fun on ramps are now?

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by chromatico

Right on man...right on.

Just to make the one line polizei happy.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
One thing I have noted here is no one seems to address or talk about the terror tax that is currently attatched to each barrel of oil. It is more than a good chance that if America elects a democractic president, it will be less then a year before the Terror Tax is reduced by 15-20 dollars a barrel

As far as the world running out of oil just with Canada exporting its reserve would cover world oil for almost 120 years, that is by a Canadian estimate. Although I am sure with China in the mix it would reduce that time by 25%

Another thing I have noticed people do not seem to understand, Especially about Green Fuel is that economically this will not help America. AT ALL. Using green will cost milk, meat and feed to go through the roof while only causing a moderate drop in fuel prices, that is just the beggining. There are other ways and although it sounds cool to say we need to go green, there are numerous problems with doing that. One it does not really eliminate the need for oil, it only reduces it. Second environmentally nobody knows what the outcome of burning green will do.

I am not opposed to change but I think there are other ways of going about it.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex
What we'll have instead is what we are seeing now, a slow crawl that forces us to change our life-styles without us really noticing it.

Uh, gas where I live has gone up almost 30 cents in less than a month. In 2000, oil was $33/barrel, now it is 3 1/2 times that. 350% in 8 years is hardly a slow crawl.

My lifestyle has changed quite a bit in a short amount of time. I have 4 kids and obviously need a large vehicle. In actuality, I have a 2005 3-door Ford Focus that gets 30mpg. It is a complete pain to get everyone in and out of the car.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying the sky is falling, but you would have to admit, there is a very large crisis looming.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Listening to Coast to Coast the other night when Steve Quayle was on and he stated that economists have predicted a world economic collapse to happen in September.

At the rate things are going, it could be sooner.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The same thing that has been happening is whats going to happen. Prices will rise. the value of the US dollar will decrease. The economy will be worse.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I remember about only 8 years ago, I was able to get gas at Iowa for $1.14, in chicago it was about $1.35. When the price of oil started going up "dramatically" (for that time) my father had told me "if it goes beyond $2.00 people are going to riot. Well now it's $3.25 a gallon here where I live and I'm still waiting for the riots (I'm not good at starting a riot, but if people here started it, I'd join in)

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Question

I'm right there with ya, if someone wants to organize a gas riot I am totally there!!!

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Attari
Wonder what the panic was in the 70's and 80's. Did they react the same way? Yup.

I remember when it was "dried" up or atleast that is what the Media told us. Long lines waiting for gas because of the panic. Stations closing because they were "out" of gas etc.

Oh yeah, what if I invested in oil? Would I be upset that my stocks are soaring?

Media, go figure.

This is extremely incorrect.

The panic in the 70's happened beause the government installed price ceilings on the price of gasoline (gas could not go up above a certain price) which caused an excess of demand compared to supply.

If the government does not install a price ceiling, then that problem will not happen.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Lets not forget about third world countries here. Africa can't afford fuel as it is, and whether prices will skyrocket or not, I think its fairly safe to say that they're not going to be going down much anymore. Living in South Africa we're fairly well off compared to the rest of the continent, but our fuel prices are still higher than in the US, this will note bode well for us...

There has been a recent rash of advertisements for scooters in South Africa through flyer's, television and radio commercials to beat the expense of cars.

Thats not to say that this might not have a positive impact on the development of alternative energy sources throughout the first world, it would also take some of the pressure off the thirds worlds energy needs.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pumbaa2314

Remember when diesel was 10-15 cents less per gallon than regular gasoline. What happened? More taxes on diesel than the other fuels?

It seems to me it should till be less expensive than gasoline.

What happened was that Oil Companies defered the cost of gasoline to diesel. So instead of paying $4-$4.25/gal for gasoline we are at $3.45/gal while diesel is at $4.00.

The reason for this is the old 'well it is not affecting me'. However, since transportation costs have risen it is passed on to goods, food and services. When paying $2.00/gal bread was about $1.25-$1.50. Now we pay $2.00 a loaf and $3.50 for gas. Expect bread to raise to $2.50.

The idea is a relative pricing structure so expenses do not seem so drastic. However since wages have not followed suit then we have a problem that is noticed.

When the price of oil and therefore gas becomes too high. There will a correction either willfully or forcefully by either the government or the people. Petitioning your representatives is the opening move. On your third letter (whether a reponse is given) remind him that you will remember and encourge others to remember their actions or inactions. If by the tenth letter results (or response has not happened) then begin to organise and be prepared for what you must do and accept that it will not be supported by the people as a whole. Yeah it does indeed suck, but sometimes those are the things than need to be done in order to cause change.

I won't say what exactly what actions to take, because I am not ready to enact them at this time. Petitioning and threats of non-reelection should be enough. Especially when informing how much free time you will have both homeless and unemployed if steps are not taken to protect the people.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I saw petrol hit £1.09 at a petrol station here recently.

For all you across the pond, thats about $8 a gallon.

Try that on for size. We brits have been skinned numerous times before, our blood sucked dry. And now this dog of a government has come for our bones.

Price of 1 litre of petrol : £1.05 (average)

Cost of 1 litre of petrol after oil companies and forecourts take their profit margin : £0.33

Tax : bloody unacceptable.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Maybe everyone's missing a real conspiracy here.

China has one of the fastest growing economies in the world. Their oil consumption is expected to hit record levels this year. Yet, their infrastructure is notoriously fragile. Their middle class is growing at incredible rates.

They also have a dramatic trade imbalance with the United States.

They have artificially supported the value of their currency.

Are these points good for the United States?

Hmmmm...slow China's growth....balance the currency....

Heh...Hey I know!! Let's start a stupid war, cause the price of crude to skyrocket, drive up costs for the emerging Chinese industries, reduce the spending power of the emerging middle class.....

Incredibly sneaky economic warfare....

That's a theory....anyone care to discuss???

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
What happens when the price of oil hits $120?

Absolutely nothing. People will grudgingly pay, while in the midst of complaining to friends and coworkers, about how they are going to take the bus instead. But they will continue to shell out movie for the bloodline of america.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
When Oil hits $120 a barrel,

They'll commemorate the occasion by making and printing a limited number of all new, U.S. $120 bills, with George Bush Jr.'s mug on the front.

it makes oil smuggled and dealt with illegally or untaxed easier to buy and sell i guess? im just joking..

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
i just did some figures and at the 3.50 i pay now if gas goes to 5.00 a galon my monthly cost will go up 70 to 80 dollars if i can not handle that increase i have more problems than gas going up.
The cause of the main problem is all the credit stuff you hear about. People have over extended themselves thats the problem. if people were living within there means the gas and food increases wouldn't be the huge problem it is now(it would still suck). A lot of people have been just on the edge and this quick increase on a few key things and over the edge they go.

Maybe not everyone is like this but enough are. A couple hundred dollars a month difference and now many people are screwed cause they now can not pay their bills.

if we as individuals and a county do not learn to manage money better then everything is going to collapse. (and not cause of the oil prices)

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Check this out,maybe this will help a little:

Gas rationing in the 70's worked even though we grumbled about it. It might even have been good for us!

Are you aware that the Saudis are boycotting American products?

Shouldn't we return the favor? Can't we take control of our own destiny and let these giant oil importers know who REALLY generates their profits, their livings? How about leaving American Dollars in America and reduce the import/export deficit?

An appealing remedy might be to boycott their GAS. Every time you fill up your car you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just purchase gas from companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill up my tank, I'm sending my money to people who I get the impression want me, my family and my friends dead. Don't you think it might be of interest to know which oil companies import Middle Eastern oil and which do not?

These companies import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell................................... 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco.................. 144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil....................... 130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway............ 117,740,000 barrels
Amoco................................ 62,231,000 barrels
And CITGO oil is imported from Venezuela by Dictator Hugo Chavez who hates America and openly avows our economic destruction! (We pay Chavezâ€,,s regime nearly $10 Billion per year in oil revenues!)

The U.S. currently imports 5,517,000 barrels of crude oil per day from OPEC. If you do the math at $95 per barrel, that's over $524 million PER DAY ($191 BILLION per year!) handed over to OPEC, many of whose members are our confirmed enemies!!!!!
Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:
Sunoco....................... 0 barrels
Conoco...................... 0 barrels
Sinclair...................... 0 barrels
BP / Phillips................ 0 barrels
Hess. ................................................ 0 barrels
ARC0 ......................................... 0 barrels
Maverick...................... 0 barrels
Flying J. .......................................... 0 barrels
Valero.......................... 0 barrels
All of this information is available from the U.S. Department of Energy and each company is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing.

But to have a real impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers. With the help of the internet, it's really simple to do. Now, don't wimp out at this point....keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!
I'm sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at only ten more (30 x 10 = 300)....and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)....and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers!!!!!!!

If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it....THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE—the entire population of the United States of America!!!!

Again, all you have to do is forward this message to 10 people. How long would that really take you? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people, within one day all 300 MILLION people could theoretically be contacted during the next eight days!

My wife found this today.Pass it on.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join