It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happens When Oil Hits $120??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
It just comes down to choices.

I don't think there is some magic number where there will be a crisis. I think as the price goes up, people will use less gas.

Very true! Business that offer non-essentials will suffer. People may not buy $5.00 cups of coffee and will not supersize their fast food orders. (I sure need to go on a diet anyway!)

Skip the movie theaters and watch the movie on Pay Per View for 1/3 the cost.

There will be an economic impact for sure... The markets will shift more and more to staples and commodities.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by chromatico
reply to post by Pumbaa2314

www.cga.ct.gov...

Makes sense - increased EPA requlation. Thank you for the info!

Source - www.cga.ct.gov...

"This pattern ended, possibly due to a variety of causes. In the near term, some have attributed it to a change in federal environmental regulations. The change reduced the maximum allowable amount of sulfur in diesel fuel from 500 parts per million (ppm) to 15 ppm. The purpose of the change is to reduce emissions of nitrous oxides and particulate matter. The transition to lower-sulfur fuel began in June 2006 and must be completed this fall. The transition has a short-time effect on diesel supply and prices. Also in the near term, demand for diesel fuel is typically high in the fall when farmers are harvesting crops and truckers are making pre-season deliveries to retailers. "

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I distinctly remember good ol alex jones as saying that the builderberger meeting set the price of oil to go to $150! or something to that extent and as a long time creator of research regarding commodities and stocks IMHO its entirely possibly but not likely...pray alex is wrong this time.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by 911fnord

125 was the predicted price in 6 months time...I think AJ could be right come x-mas.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

reply to post by DEEZNUTZ

I was in Portland recently, which I understand uses a similar system, and was very surprised at how not bad the traffic was. I live in a town the fourth the size of Portland which does not have that good of a mass transit system, the traffic is a actually a little worse here than in Portland.

Portland's mass tranist can only transport less than 1% of the population. And yes, rush hour here sucks, horribly in fact. We have rush our in neighborhoods for gods sake. And that "cheap" cost of a transit ticket is only possible becuase of the Gas Tax. If Portland wasn't taxing the holy hell out of it's motorists a ticket to ride the Max or Tri-Met would run you about 12 bucks.

You must have been here on a weekend or something. The Federal Government has denied grant money and various other forms of funding to the city for the purpose of building more Max Lines because the traffic situation is so bad, telling the city to build more roads or expand already existing roads. Trust me, I spend an enormous amount of my day on the road in and around the Portland Metro area, and I can tell you I had more fun in LA.

Until someone can figure out how to put a few million people on a light rail, those types of transit will never be enough nor will they alleviate congestion. Most people that work in the city live a stretch outside of it. And they are mostly unable to ride mass transit. Unless you want to spend 2 hours of your day just getting to work.

Public transit is a mess, and it's low ticket cost is Dependant on People who drive the much hated "gas guzzling SUV". We don't need mass transit, we need electric cars. They were awesome when the came out, and if they were given a chance could have, by now, been even better.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Hi all!

There is not much we can do about the rise in gas prices except be smarter consumers. It is an absolute helpless feeling looking at the gas prices rise with each passing day and the oil cartels get filthy rich.

Has anyone here at ATS tried HHO technology? There are a number of sites selling the information on how to convert your vehicle to hydrogen-water technology for very little money. It seems to good to be true. I'm very skeptical of these sites and what they are selling. I would love to hear from someone that has tried this or maybe knows someone that has. I think it's possible, but for $49.00 for the info and another $90-100 for the parts. If it were that easy, why has it not caught on?

Here is one of the sites selling the idea.

www.runyourcarwithwater.com...

Guz

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Guzzeppi

Here is one of the sites selling the idea.

www.runyourcarwithwater.com...

It is like Bob Lazar said "If you have water you have power".

I wonder how often the HHO fuel cell in the car needs to be changed. If it is expensive that would be a drawback.

Cheers!

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   

reply to post by Silenceisall

Agreed. We finally need a comprehensive mass transit and magrail system. Now we have no choice.

I'm so glad to live in a city that already has that. Our mass transit is one of the best in the world according to city leaders. My husband can attest since he uses it every day. Thankfully my job is only a mere 9 miles from home so I drive less then 9000 miles a year. Not only is it better for the environment but i get a discount on my car insurance for having low milage!

Tela

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The problems will escalate dramatically when the $120+ oil trickles down to $5 a gallon for gas. To drag ourselves out of a recession, we have to spend. Well, gas is already $3.50+ a gallon and people are already cutting back on spending. This will just accelerate our way into a deep recession. The White House already knows this, but they have to play it optimistically, otherwise the masses will get impatient.

The oil and auto lobby is too big for Obama to handle. If he makes it to the oval office, we are all doomed by sneaky lobby tactics on a green jr senator.

It has been said before, green is here, but has been significantly slowed down by govt and lobby pressure and ineptness.

Alternate means (bikes, car pools, public transportation) will supplement electric and alternative fueled vehicles. This will be the least of our problems, airlines, electricity, and everything transported by trucks will sky rocket in price. With the deficits already blooming from local to the federal govt. we are in for a hard ride ahead!!!

Things will never be the same again.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

reply to post by elevatedone

Also, I think something that may not have occurred to one is that OP is over in the UK. AFAIK, prices over there translate to a whopping $8/gallon.

That may be true, but it's all thanks to the fact that our dollar is worth pennies. As long as the FED keeps adding to the supply of money and inflation stays on the rise, so will the price of oil, and consequently gas along with them.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I'm going to be quitting my job due to gas prices. I just can't afford to drive around the city delivering papers for only $100.00 dollars a week. It all goes back in the gas tank!

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Guess what people will stop buying? The expensive electronic gadgets and goods manufactured off-shore. Hmmmmmm......can anyone say, "trade imbalance"?.....Ouch...it'll hurt a huge economy.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MrPenny

It will only serve the Chinese right for not shooting straight...

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
In addition to the cuts I am already making I can tell you that my roommate is a lead home theater installer for a major electronics chain, his hours have been cut because there are not a lot of people buying big tvs and home theater systems. When/if gas gets that high he may be cut to part time. We can make all the changes we want in our lifestyles and chose what is more important, the extras in life or gas, but it WILL effect the economy. That's just common sense.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
if everyone here really cared about the gas cost then they would all buy an electric car ... sure it doesn't go as fast or as far but they cost less than a gas car so in the long run u would have alot more $ in your pocket each week

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
What happens when Oil reaches $120 a barrel ?..

I think some thing along the following.

The rich will travel by horse drawn cart!

The middle class with ride bikes!

And the poor will walk!

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
hopefully, more people will start stealing gas.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

And where exactly can we buy this electric car you speak of? We had electric cars ten or so years ago and they were taken off the market, ever watched the documentary "Who killed the electric car?"

Besides, if people can't afford to buy gas, how the heck are they gonna run right out and buy another vehicle while they are already upside down in the one they currently own?

I for one wish there was mass transit in my area, but all attempts at light rail for the last twenty years have been shot down even though the public has consistantly voted for it.

So kindly send me a link to this electric car I can buy, and as soon as this car I have is paid off I will consider it. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Heh you're telling me. I just filled up my diesel truck today and it was 140$ *GAG*

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join