It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happens When Oil Hits $120??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
At the rate it's going that will be next week!

Transit in this country will shut down...truckers won't be able to afford to deliver the goods...

A sign. The end of buying and selling.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
The cost of everything will skyrocket even more. That's what will happen.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I wouldn't worry too much just yet. A green energy revolution is what happens. We have the tech, and when necessity calls it will come out of the corporate closet. I'm not saying there won't be a bit of pain, but the transition is worth it.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Silenceisall

Agreed. We finally need a comprehensive mass transit and magrail system. Now we have no choice.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Wonder what the panic was in the 70's and 80's. Did they react the same way? Yup.

I remember when it was "dried" up or atleast that is what the Media told us. Long lines waiting for gas because of the panic. Stations closing because they were "out" of gas etc.

Oh yeah, what if I invested in oil? Would I be upset that my stocks are soaring?

Media, go figure.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
My guess is the same thing will happen that happened when everyone was predicting what would happen when it hit $100.

The sky will burn, millions of people will lose their jobs, the economy will crumble from beneath us, the US will completely fall apart and we'll all be left to die.

Wait...none of that happened did it?

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

Wait...none of that happened did it?

I can assure you one thing though, the wages won't be going up to offset the difference.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
What will happen when gas hits $120 a barrel? I'm sure we'll have someone in the forums asking what happens when it hits $130, saying breathless and in an alarmist tone:

Originally posted by Attari
At the rate it's going that will be next week!

Transit in this country will shut down...truckers won't be able to afford to deliver the goods...

A sign. The end of buying and selling.

What we'll have instead is what we are seeing now, a slow crawl that forces us to change our life-styles without us really noticing it.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This is already happening, because diesel is getting so expensive that many truckers are starting to 'retire early.' Eventually, as a previous poster mentioned, other forms of fuel will be implemented. But in the short term you may not be able to get everything you usually buy from the store, or we may be paying more for things that come from farther away. I'm so thankful I moved to a Port city with a lot of local farmers and producers. Our public transit system already runs on biodiesel. (Portland, OR)

I take the green revolution as a good thing in the long run.

Rising Diesel Cost Burning Up Truckers’ Pay
From earlier this month, and this next one from today

High Price of Diesel Makes Truckers Rethink Their Work

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The unchecked rise in fuel prices and this goes for natural gas and heating oil derivatives will take three stages.

1. As middle and lower class workers can no longer afford to even go to work to stay poor and not eat, thier resentment will be taken out on minorities that are unconnected first and then will turn to the leaders that should be leading instead of lining pockets.

2. Unable to feed and clothe themselves they will begin to steal and loot everything not nailed down, or will come loose with a sledgehammer or saws-all. as crime becomes rampant, the people will stop turning on each other and look to the east, for the leaders.

3. They will eventually be fueled by hatred an march on those involved. There will be no end to the sabotage, and most of it will be done by their own troops. Their will be no safe place on earth for them or their decedents. With no way to calm the mobs each and every one will find they harbor a brutus among them who's grandmother or mother froze to death or starved.

Itsa reesky bizanus being the king!

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AmethystSD

What makes you think biodiesel is the answer?

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
What happens....

elevatedone sells his SUV gets something compact and also buys a bike.

Seriously, the gasoline prices are unbeleivable. I almost can't affor to fill'er up anymore, leaves hardly nothing in the wallet. I think I do alright for myself, I honestly can't imagine what others who may be less fortuneate are doing. The stress alone....

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Nothing will happen because they jack up the prices of oil slowly, that way we get used to it before they jack it up again, and then we get used to that. If it happened overnight, that's a differant story, but this slow pace is keeping us from freaking out. I myself have made alternatives already, I am going to have to cut out child care and rely on my mom who is on disability to watch the kids, so now my children no longer get to be with their friends this summer instead they get to hang with grandma who is A LOT less fun. If the prices really skyrocket, I don't know what I'll do, maybe ask the boss for a cost of gas raise.

People keep talking about alternative fuel, well we already have that, the powers that be don't like it so it's not widely available. We had the electric car, where did that go???? This government does not want us off gas, neither did the government before them, nor will the government after this one. It's all about the money.

This is not an alternative fuel issue, this is a corporate/government getting rich off us poor saps issue!

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Also, I think something that may not have occurred to one is that OP is over in the UK. AFAIK, prices over there translate to a whopping $8/gallon.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Cowgirlstraitup7

Thats just it, I for one don't get used to it. I'm still as angry today as when it first went over $2gal. There's no reason for it, when the oil co's are making the billion dollar PROFITS that they are. No reason.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by chromatico
The cost of everything will skyrocket even more. That's what will happen.

People will forgo unnessary travel, fast food, and some leasure activities. We learn to save money and prioritize our needs. No Frills.

Yes prices will go up. Again we will prioritize our needs. Maybe spend some quality time with our families.

It is a wake up call!

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I work for the transit system in Vancouver, BC and we have a fairly large electric bus fleet and grid that covers the Greater Vancouver Region's main lines. The company is currently upgrading the fleet with newer trolleys that actually put power back to the grid when going over 35 km/h I believe and newer diesel buses that use low sulfur diesel and have a particulate filter to cut down on emissions.

Here are some links to the new buses:

Electric Trolleys: www.newflyer.com...

Nova Diesels: www.novabus.com...

A few glitches but otherwise good vehicles and helping Vancouver cut emissions by hopefully getting people out of their cars and onto the buses. With a proposed $14 Billions upgrade of the system by 2020 to double the number of buses and expand the rapid transit lines it will be a cheaper alternative to driving thus keeping emissions lower.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DEEZNUTZ

I was in Portland recently, which I understand uses a similar system, and was very surprised at how not bad the traffic was. I live in a town the fourth the size of Portland which does not have that good of a mass transit system, the traffic is a actually a little worse here than in Portland.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmethystSD
This is already happening, because diesel is getting so expensive that many truckers are starting to 'retire early.' Eventually, as a previous poster mentioned, other forms of fuel will be implemented. But in the short term you may not be able to get everything you usually buy from the store, or we may be paying more for things that come from farther away. I'm so thankful I moved to a Port city with a lot of local farmers and producers. Our public transit system already runs on biodiesel. (Portland, OR)

Remember when diesel was 10-15 cents less per gallon than regular gasoline. What happened? More taxes on diesel than the other fuels?

It seems to me it should till be less expensive than gasoline.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
It's already happening. People are driving less and trying to do multiple erronds when they make a trip.

People will have to sort out some of the priorities in their life. Food will cost more. Everything that is transported will cost more.

It just comes down to choices.

I don't think there is some magic number where there will be a crisis. I think as the price goes up, people will use less gas.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join