It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Commander says forget winning hearts and minds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Commander says forget winning hearts and minds

uk.news.yahoo.com

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - "Winning hearts and minds" in Western-occupied nations like Iraq and Afghanistan is an impossible goal, a British army commander said in frank remarks on Tuesday that challenged an often-heard mantra.

"There will of course be circumstances where we can earn the trust of local people, where we can prevail amongst the national leadership, establish a constructive dialogue with religious authorities, but I doubt we will (be) or maybe ever have been in a position to win their hearts and minds," Lieutenant General Graeme Lamb said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Well either the guy is a genius and being totally honest about the gulf between the east and the west - or he`s a frutiloop - persoanlly i think its the first , Iraq and Afghanistan are so different cultres that you very much will never win over these people wholesale - look at vietnam to see that really hearts and minds doesn`t really work that well - it is a case of when east and west collide.

bet he gets fired though.

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

I may agree with you, at least, in the sense that no one ugly and bent on capitalism should ever win over the hearts and minds of others...

Though, I have no idea who this guy is ...or if what he is saying should be the thing to win over others.... .....So..... my above statement is a little premature.

But, I do know that life is a solid set of laws... and whether this guys "morals" wins anyone over or not... ...The only thing that should ...ever... win any one over ....is 'righteous'.... (for righteous, in this unchanging world, is all that is worthy)

Anything else is sh***y of worthy and if anything other than 'righteous' does happen to win someone over... that person is also sh***y of life, truth and ....justice....

Right Chi Us....Right For All....Righteous
...................It Does Exist.................

[edit on 12-3-2008 by WishI]

join