It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geraldine Ferraro sparks controversy with remark on Obama.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Geraldine Ferraro sparks controversy with remark on Obama.

latimesblogs.latimes.com

Comments that trailblazing Democrat Geraldine Ferraro -- now a major fundraiser for Hillary Clinton -- made in advance of a weekend appearance in Southern California are rippling across the political scene today, the latest example of a surrogate causing headaches for the candidate they're supposed to be helping.

Ferraro didn't call Barack Obama, Clinton's rival in the battle royale for the Democratic presidential nomination, a "monster." But in an interview with the Daily Breeze in Torrance, Ferraro broached Obama's race in a way that diminished what the Illinois senator has accomplished.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she said for an article aptly headlined "Geraldine Ferraro lets her emotions do the talking."

She went on: "And if he was a woman (of any color) he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Imagine, the first Women to be put on the Democratic ticket as VP Candidate is downgrading Obama in a degrading way!

This is becoming a little outrageous from the Clinton Campaign...last week they were upset about the fact that an Obama adviser call Hilary a "Monster," calling for his adviser to resign.

I wonder if the Clinton Campaign will cut all ties with Gearldine for this outlandish, condecending comment.

latimesblogs.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11-3-2008 by realmatrix]

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Had she been a white guy, does anyone really believe she'd have been tapped as VP by Mondale? Rrrrriiiiight...

The Clinton surragate/avatars/dirtytricks squad are out in force now. It's obvious that she's in mortal danger of becoming an also ran, so the gloves have come off big time...any thing is fair game.

...and Karl Rove is a bad guy? What does that make the Clinton machine? Hitler?

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Oh good Lord. WELCOME TO DEMOCRACY!!!

People will vote for someone based on ANYTHING. Hillary wouldn't be where she is if she was a man. McCain wouldn't be where he is if he was a mexican. It's ridiculous to say this crap. Especially since some people will vote for someone if they like their hair.

Once again, WELCOME TO DEMOCRACY!!!

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigbert81

Touche'. I couldn't have said it better.

The remarks were tacky and probably racist and sexist and altogether beneath Ferraro. You'd think she'd be more politically correct. But a lot worse has been, and will be, said about Obama before the election is over and he's up to the challenge.

[edit on 11-3-2008 by Sestias]

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias

Originally posted by bigbert81

Touche'. I couldn't have said it better.

The remarks were tacky and probably racist and sexist and altogether beneath Ferraro. You'd think she'd be more politically correct. But a lot worse has been, and will be, said about Obama before the election is over and he's up to the challenge.

[edit on 11-3-2008 by Sestias]

I tend to agree with you on the fact that Obama will be 'SWIFTBOATED" if he is nominated for the Presidency.

However, these remarks are NOT BENEATH Ferraro! She did the Same thing to Jesse Jackson in the 1988 campaign.

Placid of demeanor but pointed in his rhetoric, Jackson struck out repeatedly today against those who suggest his race has been an asset in the campaign. President Reagan suggested Tuesday that people don't ask Jackson tough questions because of his race. And former representative Geraldine A. Ferraro (D-N.Y.) said Wednesday that because of his "radical" views, "if Jesse Jackson were not black, he wouldn't be in the race.
www.politico.com...

This is a disturbing trend from both Ferraro and the Clinton campaign.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
My main thoughts on this issue are:

No, I understand that. Counting how each group votes is important for strategy in future elections. It shows why the candidate won.

But to sum up Obama's campaign as "he's winning because he's black" is unreal. The guy is not winning because he's black. Black people have run before in the past and gotten smashed.

He's a great speaker. Extremely charismatic. He comes at a time when it is acceptable to vote for blacks, not popular. It's not a fad that can be directly attributed.

It's not like I can go, "Man, if I was black I would have totally gotten that job".

The Clinton campaign is actually so desparate that they are grasping for straws and saying absurd things.

Being black maybe helps Obama corner the black vote. Maybe. It works for him the same way it works for Hillary and women.

Just because Obama is black doesn't mean every black person will vote for him, just as the case with Hillary and women. They may, by default, get a higher percentage, but not enough to give all credit to it.

Sorry to quote myself. I had those posted on my thread, which needs to be closed since this one was started first. I just didn't feel like re-typing all of that stuff.

[edit on 12-3-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Ferraro is leaving the Clinton Campaign:
www.cnn.com...

Related thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by realmatrix

Good move by Clinton. She should not want to be associated with that kind of press. That would really hurt her chances at a come back.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620
reply to post by realmatrix

Good move by Clinton. She should not want to be associated with that kind of press. That would really hurt her chances at a come back.

If it had been left up to the Clinton campaign, she would still be working....it was a move by Ferraro.

I am not sure Clinton can mount a comeback without changing the rules the DNC originally set for the campaign. Now she wants a Florida redo by MAIL! Thats a joke...Florida can't even count the votes correctly in a normal set of election circumstances...now we are going to let them vote by mail......no fraud there!

[edit on 12-3-2008 by realmatrix]

new topics

top topics

join