It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force's stealth fighters making final flights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Air Force's stealth fighters making final flights

www.cnn.com

DAYTON, Ohio (AP) -- The world's first attack aircraft to employ stealth technology is slipping quietly into history.

The inky black, angular, radar-evading F-117, which spent 27 years in the Air Force arsenal secretly patrolling hostile skies from Serbia to Iraq, will be put in mothballs next month in Nevada.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
That's some Fairly old Technology when you think about it, almost 40 years old.
The sad part about that is that the F-22 started development in the 80s so it's almost 30 year old Technology. Makes you wonder what the Military is working on right now.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Attari

For real!
I want to know what has replaced the F-117 in regards to having a secret undetectable craft. Hmmm........

BTW, the F22 is a awesome fighter.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4thDoctorWhoFan
reply to post by Attari

BTW, the F22 is a awesome fighter.

Actually there is a F35 in development, the F22 was 90's tech not 80's though. I'm looking for link's to the F35 now.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Attari
Actually there is a F35 in development, the F22 was 90's tech not 80's though. I'm looking for link's to the F35 now.

I could be mistaken but I believe the F35 is some sort of joint strike fighter and that the F22 is a WAY more sophisticated and advanced fighter than the F35.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
by Derek Kaufman
88th Air Base Wing Public Affairs

3/4/2008 - WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Ohio -- A retirement ceremony to honor the contributions of the F-117A Nighthawk, the world's first attack aircraft to employ stealth technology, will take place here March 11.

The retirement ceremony is not open to the general public, however, Wright-Patterson employees, retirees and family members with base access are welcome to attend. The 10 a.m. event will take place at Base Operations Hangar 206N where an F-117A from the 49th Fighter Wing at Holloman AFB, N.M. will be displayed. The ceremony will conclude with a flyover at 10:25 a.m.

Same source:

The F-117A fleet relocated to Holloman Air Force Base reflagged to the 49th Fighter Wing in 1992, where the active fleet remains today. Beginning early in 2009, Holloman is slated to replace its retiring F-117s with two squadrons of F-22 Raptors.

Edit to note: KFFO (my sometimes location is WPAFB

and to fix source link

SOURCE

[edit on 11-3-2008 by Zeptepi]

[edit on 11-3-2008 by Zeptepi]

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Attari

F22's early flights were done in 1990, so the tech used to originally build it was from the 1980's. F22 we see now is a few revisions from the original though.

top topics

join