It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Universe a Big Black Hole

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I've always wondered this and remember discussing this with a friend many years ago.

If time is a concept that exists because of space and/or doesn't really exist, couldn't it be the case that our perception of the universe expanding from a big bang is merely that... perception.

Isn't it possible that the universe has already expanded to it's greatest size, folded back upon itself and created the zero point that began the universal explosion? We're just perceiving the time before it happens?

Doesn't everything go in cycles in this universe anyway? Doesn't it reason the universe will have a "big contraction" at some point or that the "big bang" and "big contraction" are one in the same?

Like stars... and black holes. The same.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
It is possible. It's also possible that I just now died and didn't even realize it but came back to life because of a series of quantum fluctuations that let me type this. It's possible that I've died every other second of my life, but it's not very probable.

You seem to be speaking of something called "The big crunch" where after the big bang, the universe (as observations interpret that it is currently expanding) reaches a point where it begins contracting, usually due to dark matter or some other hypothetical undiscovered force. It is one of many theories. We just can't know right now due to lack of oberservation. Along with the big crunch, there is also something called the heat death where the universe keeps expanding into subatomic decay and eventual nothingness, where happily small chance quantum flucuations can kick start matter and then life again.

The problem with humans is that we are literally #. We suck. We are nothing in comparison to existence. When a tennis ball is hit, we are trying to interpret the information from that ball that we can acquire in 1 nano second to try to explain the infinate universe (or not).

Many people follow the path of least resistance and say "God" did it all. Others follow the path of most resistance and say it can be explained by observation. In the end, they are both flawed I think (although I consider science practical and religion impractical, because we as a species WILL die, yet, the universe will remain for much longer, and then who knows what will happen.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Ree
It is possible. It's also possible that I just now died and didn't even realize it but came back to life because of a series of quantum fluctuations that let me type this. It's possible that I've died every other second of my life, but it's not very probable.

Many people follow the path of least resistance and say "God" did it all. Others follow the path of most resistance and say it can be explained by observation. In the end, they are both flawed I think (although I consider science practical and religion impractical, because we as a species WILL die, yet, the universe will remain for much longer, and then who knows what will happen.

The first part of your post is very intriguing and something that I allude to often. We can't really know anything beyond a shadow of a doubt. I have doubt, though my "senses" tell me that I am, that I am actually sitting at this computer now. However, given that consciousness is not fully expanded we have to accept what our "perception" relays to us, albeit faulty.

To the second part of your post. I don't think that the annihilation of the human species is an inevitability. However, looking at the current status quo of the human outlook, it is probably a likelihood.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
That was a theory that has dropped favor with scientists. It was thought that there was a big bang, then a big crunch, big bang, so on and so on.

There does not appear to be enough mass/gravity to slow the expansion of object...but the opposite seems to be happening; objects are gaining speed away from a central point. (appears anyway).

Time is a tricky subject, depending on how your discussing it. Special Relativity states that time is measured according to the relative velocity of the reference frame it is measured in. Kinda vague I know... but time is wrapped up in the definition of the first 4 dimensions (4th isn't really time, but really close to it)

When your looking at perceptions of the universe, read up on quiff waves. Those throw a huge curve ball at discussions

top topics

join