It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain Mulls its own Pledge of Allegiance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Britain Mulls its own Pledge of Allegiance

www.usatoday.com

LONDON — Britain is considering having schoolchildren pledge allegiance to Queen Elizabeth just as Americans pledge allegiance to the U.S. flag.
A pledge to the monarch, which would be given at a "coming of age" ceremony when children graduate, is part of a series of proposals delivered to Prime Minister Gordon Brown Tuesday in an effort to instill a greater sense of citizenship.

Also proposed: a new public holiday to celebrate "Britishness" that would be similar to Australia Day, which Australians celebrate every Jan. 26 to reflect national pride.

The proposals were made by Lord Peter Goldsmith, a former British attorney general. Brown asked Goldsmith last year to review aspects of British citizenship and the rights and responsibilities that accompany it.

Brown sought the review at a time when Britons have been increasingly concerned about an influx of immigrants, questioned whether its policy of multiculturalism was creating separate enclaves within British society and shocked that so-called "homegrown terrorists" were involved in attacks like the July 7, 2005 London transit bombing that killed 52 passengers.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Sounds like the UK is going back to the medieval times. lol. Hey, with the way things are going here in the states, I won't be suprised to see some sort of new bill introduced where we will have to bow down to King George the Decider next.

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Every time i think of the "pledge" I think of Germany and how the germans had to "pledge" there allegiance.

Screw the flags, queens, presidents . ITS ABOUT THE PEOPLE ...

[edit on 11-3-2008 by oLDWoRLDDiSoRDeR]

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Sigh... this is precisely the thing that is going to make people feel less patriotic.

Even a 10 year old could predict that forcing someone to do something only makes them angry and hate whatever they are forced to do.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I thought we we're supposed to be finishing off all remaining remnants of the old monarchy... why start a pledge of allegiance to the queen again?

I mean, it makes no more sense for Britain to start pledging allegiance again, than it would for Canada.

And I have to agree with oLDWoRLDDisoRDeR, the old pledges of allegiance, no matter what country or leadership, just seems too reminiscent of the old Nazi regime.

It IS supposed to be about the people. The sooner we stop blindly taking bullets for a few men in charge, the sooner we can eliminate so many of these un-necessary wars.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
How about the Scottish pledge allegiance to Scotland, the Welsh to Wales and we English to England.

Then we may feel patriotic.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I think a pledge to the UK and its citizens would perhaps be fine but not to the Monarchy. That's a bit to old and out of date. Forcing people to take an oath to anything does seem to be the opposite of what Britain stands for, though, so it's probably not the best idea put forward.

People should feel naturally proud of their country rather than having it artificially instilled into them. Whilst more could be done to encourage pride, it's not something that can (or should) be force fed. Giving kids a good education about the history of the United Kingdom and its constituent nations (all of them... not just focusing on the one they happen to live in) is a good way to start. I think I spent about a week looking at the British Empire when I was in high school; a week looking at an empire that spanned a quarter of the globe. Whilst history teaching has generally improved (and I've had experience of this), there is still some way to go.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
And what of those students who refuse to pledge any allegiance to queen and Country? Will they find themselves penalised in some way?
Perhaps medication and some extended re-education for them?

Heck, even I don't pledge allegiance to any sort of establishment, only to those I hold dear and to myself. We are after all subjects and not citizens in the UK, mere serfs to do the bidding of the government and to pay our taxes to enable them to do whatever they want, whether we like it or not.

What utter stupidity from Gordon Brown. Perhaps he's just butt-kissing for a knighthood

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Actually, we're citizens. The 'British subject' clause was removed in 1981. Since I was born after 1981, I have never been a British subject!

The British nationality is probably more complex than most due to the history and composition of the United Kingdom - it consists of four home nations each with their own histories as well as the genesis of UK itself after 1707. 'Younger' nations, like the United States, seem to have a different idea of patriotism because their history and culture was created specifically for them.

I don't think we can define or celebrate Britishness like that because it's entirely different - it has a background and deeper roots in all the nationalities that make up the UK and has evolved and adapted to this. And that, I think, is its fundamental strength - it doesn't pretend to be exclusive like Englishness/Scottishness/Welshness/Irishness (and I think these identities have many problems that people overlook). It transcends these nationalities and encompasses them, taking each into account. It's flexible, it means different things to different people, but there is nevertheless so much to be proud of.

Though born in England, I don't think of myself as English. In my opinion it doesn't mean anything... there are so many differences in England (North and South, regional/county differences, differences between cities and towns) that it just doesn't form the cohesive identity that it purports to be. The only thing that really united England is sport - the rest of the time there are too many differences. I'm sure we've all heard people talking about those "bloody northerners" or "bloody southerners" and so on, for instance, and although this might be used jokingly it still highlights how diverse and disunified England itself is. I take a similar view of Scottishness, Welshness and Irishness.

top topics

join