It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loose a limb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
My question is simple. Would you loose a limb to save your life? I was thinking about that guy who got trapped in a cravos in the desert. his arm got wedged between a boulder and the wall. he ended up cutting off part of his arm with a knife. to even have a chance of getting out alive. Would you do the same and if so how far would you go?

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Well, right now, sitting down in my home, I would say yeah. Either die, or have a chance of living I guess I wouldn't really have a choice. But I don't know how I would react if it really happened. But if I was thinking straight I would do it, if it was the only way to have a chance of living.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
You know i probably would,chew through if i had to,jk but i imagine the worst thing would be if that scenario was to happen underwater like shown in films.
Funny though they always show being trapped underwater but not above like the guy getting his arm wedged.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Loosing a limb can't be nearly as bad a losing one so sure, why not loose a limb to save my own life?

Okay, I had to get that out of my system.

In a situation where your arm or leg is crushed under something or jammed into something or being ground up in something I have to think that after a point the pain simply wouldn't be a factor anymore. You'll either pass out from shock or do whatever you have to to snap, cut or sever that trapped limb.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by quantum wind

There are a few stories like this, all based off the theme of a fox gnawing off a leg held in a trap.

I think this is a question people can only answer when they're in that kind of a situation. It's hard to give a yes or no while sitting at a terminal sipping coffee. But I have noticed that with humans there's a strong survival instinct, and that the inconceivable becomes conceivable with surprising speed.

Peace,

KAI

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
That's pretty good question. And I bet you ninety nine percent of your respondents will say, "Duh, YES!" But in a real world situation I bet A LOT of people couldn't do it. Do I think I could? I think so. I mean if I had a hatchet, sure...If all I had was a sharp edged rock...well, I'd have wait and see. And hopefully I'll never have to.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
In the words of homer simpson 'it'll grow back right?'

seriously though, did you hear about the bloke who had to cut arm off below the elbow as it was curshed beneath a fallen boulder, but all he had was a penknife.

Took him about twelve attempts as he kept passing out when the blade touched his nerves.

He survived though. What a guy.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I would loose a limb to save my life. I would also cut the limb off of a loved one or stranger to save there life, if it was the only way.

The fella you are talking about I assume is Aron Ralston you can read his story HERE

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
How odd that this topic should come up. I was, ironically enough, discussing this exact question with a friend as a topic of conversation while driving. I certainly hope that this isn't some sort of omen.

As for the question posed ... "would I sacrifice a limb to save my life?" ... absolutely! Of course, this is an easy question to answer when posed in a hypothetical manner. When seated in front of a computer screen, the prospect of taking a Swiss Army Knife and cutting away one's own limb is certainly a remote one. I am certain that the reality of such of situation would be a most daunting one.

Naturally, I would want to preserve my own life. Compared to dying, living a life without a limb: i.e. arm, leg, hand, foot, etc. is hardly a choice. I would pick living every time. To live life with a missing limb is debilitating and certainly a challenge but with the technology behind today's prosthetics, it is certainly a challenge that can be met and overcome. The issue in my mind, however, that I would find extremely difficult is the prospect of removing one's own limb.

If it were a finger or toe, yes, it would be difficult and certainly not a situation that I would want to face but, nevertheless, this is a decision and an action that I do believe that I could perform. When one raises the prospect of removing one's own hand, arm, leg or foot....well, that is another kettle of fish altogether. Frankly, the entire premise is rather horrific and I am troubled to think that it might actually be easier to take one's own life than to endure the agony of self amputation.

I have heard of the rock-climber who had to amputate his own arm when it became caught in a crevasse. I cannot imagine the anguish that he must have felt. To consider the pain he had to endure is a testament to the iron-will and supreme focus that this man demonstrated. If I should ever find myself in a similar situation (God Forbid), I would hope that I could exhibit similar courage and presence of mind.

new topics

top topics

join