It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pupils 'to take allegiance oath'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Making pupils swear an oath of allegiance to the Crown

How stupid and how unfair.

Firstly we should not have to swear allegiance at all to the Queen and no one in public office should either. British history is built on the struggle for our liberty against tyranny and absolute Monarchs of the past.

We don't need this "gimmick" to remind us of how undemocratic the Crown is.

Our Bill of Rights (which Gordon Brown seems to forget is still in law) is the constitution of the land, protecting us from Monarchist tyranny. Her son, Charles Windsor, should strike fear in us all because he is a tyrant in the making. The "Prince" likes to violate the system by getting involved in political debates.

His comments are not welcomed and should be prevented for doing so.

As a republican, I am delighted by the public anger that has sprung out from this silly little idea from Goldsmith.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Can't imagine myself or anyone in my school agreeing to do this.
It is never going to work, and they must know this, so I doubt it will be introduced.
What are they even trying to achieve by doing this anyway?
The lack of patrioism is not the problem with this country.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
If this is introduced, not only will it make a mockery over that war between parliment and the monarchy and make their painful deaths a complete waste. It will also cause more problems in Northern Ireland. Because NI is still part of the UK does this mean that republicans will have to pledge allegiance to the queen? This will create more friction than enough in Stormount and I fear that it will set us back a few years and destroy the hard work and effort that has been put in to create a powersharing government.

It will definately not be welcomed in the Republican communities of Northern Ireland, and I know it will be the same in Scotland.

Hopefully this does not go ahead

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
How draconian. I would not like this idea at all.

Originally posted by speight89 Because NI is still part of the UK does this mean that republicans will have to pledge allegiance to the queen?

Speight89, it looks like we're talking about kids here, not Republican politicians. They are already supposed to take a pledge to sit in parliament. The SDLP have done so, whereas Sinn Fein have not, although the aforementioned don't mind picking up their fat cheques from the Brits, whilst not bothering to sit in office.

Sorry, I don't want to go off topic.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
yes I know, but I am stating what I think will happen because many parents and politicans will not appreciate this.

well, it looks like it may have to be pushed back into topic

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Silly idea from silly people casting about to satisfy the very silly rantings of the likes of the silly Daily Mail crew.

My nationality does not depend on my swearing anything to anybody.

new topics

top topics

join