It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rite of Memphis-Misraïm

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I just discovered this side masonic order, consisting of 99 degrees, i dont beleive its very popular. if anyone can tell me some more info on the Order i would be very pleased

* 1º Apprentice
* 2º Companion
* 3º Master
* 4º Secret Master
* 5º Perfect Master
* 6º Intimate Secretary
* 7º Provost and Judge
* 8º Intendant of the Buildings
* 9º Master Elect of Nine
* 10º Illustrious Elect of Fifteen
* 11º Sublime Prince Elect
* 12º Grand Master Architect
* 13º Royal Arch
* 14º Grand Elect Perfect and Sublime Master
* 15º Knight of the East or the Sword
* 16º Prince of Jerusalem
* 17º Knight of the East and the West
* 18º Knight of the Rose Cross
* 19º Grand Pontiff
* 20º Knight of the Temple
* 21º Patriarch Noachite
* 22º Knight of the Royal Axe
* 23º Chief of the Tabernacle
* 24º Prince of the Tabernacle
* 25º Knight of the Brazen Serpent
* 26º Prince of Mercy
* 27º Commander of the Temple
* 28º Knight of the Sun, or Prince Adept
* 29º Knight of St. Andrew
* 30º Grand Elected Knight of Kadosh
* 31º Grand Inspector Inquisitor Commander
* 32º Sublime Prince of the Royal Secret
* 33º Sovereign Grand Inspector General
* 34º Knight of Scandinavia
* 35º Knight of the Temple
* 36º Sublime Negociant
* 37º Knight of Shota (Sage of Truth)
* 38º Sublime Elect of Truth (The Red Eagle)
* 39º Grand Elect of the Aeons
* 40º Sage Savaiste (Perfect Sage)
* 41º Knight of the Arch of Seven Colours
* 42º Prince of Light
* 43º Sublime Hermetic Sage (Hermetic Philosopher)
* 44º Prince of the Zodiac
* 45º Sublime Sage of the Mysteries
* 46º Sublime Pastor of the Huts
* 47º Knight of the Seven Stars
* 48º Sublime Guardian of the Sacred Mount
* 49º Sublime Sage of the Pyramids
* 50º Sublime Philosopher of Samothrace
* 51º Sublime Titan of the Caucasus
* 52º Sage of the Labyrinth
* 53º Knight or Sage of the Phoenix
* 54º Sublime Scalde
* 55º Sublime Orphic Doctor
* 56º Pontiff, of Sage of Cadmia
* 57º Sublime Magus
* 58º Sage, or Prince Brahmine
* 59º Sublime Sage, or Grand Pontiff of Ogygia
* 60º Sublime Guardian of the Three Fires
* 61º Sublime Unknown Philosopher
* 62º Sublime Sage of Eulisis
* 63º Sublime Kawi
* 64º Sage of Mythras
* 65º Guardian of Sanctuary - Grand Installator
* 66º Grand Architect of the Mysterious City - Grand Consecrator
* 67º Guardian of the Incommunicable Name - Grand Eulogist
* 68º Patriarch of Truth
* 69º Knight or Sage of the Golden Branch of Eleusis
* 70º Prince of Light, or Patriarch of the Planispheres
* 71º Patriarch of the Sacred Vedas
* 72º Sublime Master of Wisdom
* 73º Patriarch, or Doctor of the Sacred Fire
* 74º Sublime Master of the Stoka
* 75º Knight Commandel of the Lybic Chain
* 76º Interpreter of Hieroglyphics, of Patriarch of Isis
* 77º Sublime Knight or Sage Theosopher
* 78º Grand Pontiff of the Thebiad
* 79º Knight, or Sage of the Redoubtable Sada
* 80º Sublime Elect of the Sanctuary of Mazias
* 81º Intendent Regulator, or Patriarch of Memphis
* 82º Grand Elect of the Temple of Midgard
* 83º Sublime Elect of the Valley of Oddy
* 84º Patriarch or Doctor of the Izeds
* 85º Sublime Sage, or Knight of Kneph
* 86º Sublime Philosopher of the Valley of Kab
* 87º Sublime Prince of Masonry
* 88º Grand Elect of the Sacred Curtain
* 89º Patriarch of the Mystic City
* 90º Sublime Master of the Great Work
* 91º Grand Defender
* 92º Grand Catechist
* 93º Regulator General
* 94º Prince of Memphis, or Grand Administrator
* 95ºGrand Conservator
* 96º Grand and Puissant Sovereign of the Order
* 97º Deputy International Grand Master
* 98º International Grand Master
* 99º Grand Hierophant

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Just noticed that 20 and 35 are the same... Is this supposed to happen? Do they have varying degrees of difficulty for each rank or something? Odd, to say the least.

TheBorg

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBorg

Wow! That's one fine sense of observation TheBorg

It's possible. Cug posted the same degrees in this post within the following thread: (with the same repetition)

Research: Degrees Of World Freemasonry
www.abovetopsecret.com...

EDIT:
Found more information on the degrees themselves...
dglmadras.org.in...

The link will give you 1-33 scroll down to the bottom for links to the rest. (all the way to 99) -

[edit on 11/3/08 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
i just noticed the 2 same degrees, i found some more info on this order:

The Rite of Memphis-Misraïm: An International Order

More than 200 years old, this Rite still engenders lively interest and enjoys important developments on an international level. Faithful to its founding principles, it affirms itself as a Rite that is traditional, symbolic and spiritualistic, and associated with the principles of tolerance and liberty.

Countries where Memphis-Misraïm works today

* Argentina
* Brazil
* Chile
* Spain
* France
* Martinique
* Mauritius
* New Caledonia
* Scandinavia
* Switzerland
* Uruguay
* USA
* Venezuela

Among the Masonic Rites, this Rite has occupied a particular position since its origin. It has its place among the Egyptian rites that drank from the source of the ancient initiatic traditions of the Mediterranean basin: Pythagoreans, Alexandrian hermetic authors, neo-Platonics, the Sabbeans of Harrân, Ismaelies ... It was necessary to wait until the XVIIIth century to find any traces in Europe. These rites were numerous but only two among them came to us: Misraïm and later Memphis. These two would associate and then merge under the influence of General Garibaldi in 1881.

Mod Edit: Members MUST credit external sources. Please see Posting work written by others. **ALL MEMBERS READ** and New Site Tag For Quoting External Sources. Thank you - Jak

[edit on 11/3/08 by JAK]

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Memphis-Mirisam, while undoubtedly interesting, is clandestine and not practiced by regular freemasons. Depending on who you ask, there is some evidence that many of these degrees were used by "degree peddlers" and masons who just like having more degrees because they think it sounds sexy. In any case, no UGLE mason (the bulk of us) will ever be practicing it now anyways. It should also be pointed out the first 33 are copies of blue lodge or scottish rite degrees.

From my understanding, the number of people who do practice it is incredibly small.

[edit on 11-3-2008 by pacificwind]

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by pacificwind

According to some posts in this forum, the Scottish Rite in the US gives out degrees 4 to 32 over a weekend. Would you call them "degree peddlers"?

You seem to be looking down on the Rites of Memphis. Aren't their goals to make better people? Are the goals that different from mainstream Masonry? Is accepting Atheist and females that bad?

Why is UGLE recognition so important if it isn't a superior lodge?

There was once a member here who went through some of these degrees.
One now-banned mason was especially harsh towards him.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Sigh.

Degree peddling is an attempt to sell masons, who care about such things, on made up or otherwise fake degrees. While most degrees are based on historical allegory and all of them to some extent made up, there are several obvious differences.

(1) Just look at the numbers. 32. 67. It should be obvious.
(2) From what I have been able to derive from someone who knows about M-M today, it requires substantially more money (S U B S T A N T I A L L Y more, like, 10x more) than my scottish rite initiation dues. And actually, scottish rite initiation fees are extremely low (highest I've seen is maybe 200?) which pays for two days of meals and books for you. Scottish rite fees are almost entirely at cost, and the M-M degrees are not so elaborate that they cost thousands to put on.
(3) Unlike the scottish rite, where degrees mean nothing, there is a DISTINCT hierarchy in M-M, which is the purpose of degree peddling - to make people think they are somehow "a higher degree."

Your presumptions about my thoughts on memphis are, of course, inaccurate. I do not care what those who choose to practice M-M do. But let's be clear, they are not recognized as masonic. That is my one and only point. What defines something as masonic is at some level recognition between the grand lodge and the UGLE.

People are certainly free to call themselves masons and put on 9823498398 degrees, for all I care. But I will not recognize them as such, and neither does a huge mass of masons. I don't even care what they do - they can put on orgies for all I care. But before anyone comes out and starts screaming this is evidence of the now tried and true 360 degree masons, I wanted to put it to rest. Trust me, someone would say it.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacificwind
Your presumptions about my thoughts on Memphis are, of course, inaccurate.

You call the Rites of Memphis degree-peddlers and say they are not really Masonic, but you don't look down on the organization?

Sigh.

Thanks for answering my questions otherwise.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyNut23

Of course, you assume - yet again - that simply because something is not masonic in the traditional sense, that I must look down on them. People are free to start societies they call masonic, even though they are not (by the traditional recognition definition). It makes no difference to me, and as long as nothing illegal is going on (and I do not think anything is) I have no problem with the existence of Memphis-Misiram. I am agnostic to the existence of the organization.

Degree peddlers are not something at all that has to be looked down upon. Some do, I don't care either way. Why? Because it doesn't bother me personally. If people want to buy degrees, then more power to them.

I certainly think M-M is a good organization to study, if anything because of the excessive ritual laying around.

[edit on 11-3-2008 by pacificwind]

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread starter. I have found theinformation posted by you to be pretty informative. I have heard of this group before and was interested in hearing more about them. Do you have any more info that you can post here about them? I'd be interested in seeing that info, too.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Thanks for posting the link Jak.
Very informative site.

I couldn't find anything about how many members they have. Does anyone know? Is it bigger than the OTO? (around 3000 members, I believe)

found this...

Since 1738, one can find traces of this Rite filled with alchemical, occult and Egyptian references, with a structure of 90 degrees.

It seems they trace their order to around 1738, which makes it pretty ancient as well. The UGLE was formed in 1717. Why is one regular and the other irregular?

I also notice that they don't accept atheists either...

[edit on 12/3/08 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Apparently this Rite is connected with the Ancient and Primative Rite, I can't figure out precisely how.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
You have no idea what you are talking about & your statement is disenfranchised misinformation. Memphis Misraim is regularly practiced by over 14 regular mainstream jurisdictions recognized by the UGLE as well as the state Grand Lodges in the USA.

reply to post by pacificwind

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
And the Scottish Rite in the SJ of the USA recently gave a nice medal and grand cross to their friend in Romania, who runs the Memphis Misraim for the NGLR. I mean...most of what goes on in Masonry is not available on google, but when you are unable to connect the dots with things that are available on the web...then you just lack resourcefulness.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
The Scittish Rite and York Rite were developed as degree peddlers.

When the battle between Antients and Modern Freemasons was happening, certain Grand Lodges wanted to add degrees to make their system more appealling to the masses.

UGLE is worthless and should disband. Regularity is an immature attempt to create little fiefdoms for unsuccesful business men, who can get a 32nd degree and become a shriner in one day as lone as your check clears.

American Scottish Rite is an offshoot and sibling of the KKK, especially the southern jurisdiction.

All fake degrees and bad plays put on by bad actors....
What a joke!

Jew-Below

Grand Orient Freemasonry is the closet thing to the masonry of the 1700's that spawned Revolutions.
Masonry today is a place for a bad meeting, bad meal, no alcohol and religious zealots who are racists!

The state of Ohio sold degrees to over 11,000 men in a 12 month period.
No tests, no proficiency for advancement, write a check, show up and walk out a 32nd degree mason!

Amway would be proud of the grand lodge of ohio!

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Not sure how I missed this one. I've long been interested in these two Rites.

In Italy, under Garibaldi who was Grand Hierophant of the Oriental Rite of Memphis and Grand Praemonstrator of the Egyptian Rite of Mitzraim, the two Rites were merged into a new on called "Memphis-Misraim". This did not happen in all places, and some branches of the Rite(s) are more regular than others (for example, several organizations in South America calling themselves "Memphis-Misraim" admit females, while others admit atheists as well).

In the United States, both Rites were officially tabled back in the 1920's. At that time, Ill. Bro. Harold Van Buren Voorhis, 33°, 97°, 90°, who served as Grand Hierophant of Memphis and Grand Praemonstrator of Mitzraim for the United States, called a meeting of the Sovereign Sanctuary of Memphis, who unanimously voted to table both Rites. The Sovereign Sanctuary then abandoned its formal title, and adopted a new name, the Grand College of Rites of the United States. This is the only regular body in the USA with control over the degrees of Memphis and Mitzraim, along with other defunct Rites.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
i can't imagine being part of a fraternity where there were 99 degrees. how long would it take to go from degree to degree? how many practicing 99 degree brothers are out there?

could you imagine the scene at a get together?

"hello brother, what is your title in your lodge?"

"why i'm of the 43'rd degree.... um..." (pulls out his book)
"why this week im a Sublime Hermetic Sage... and you brother?"

"im either 20th degree or 35th degree Knight of the Temple, im not sure... but it's definitely one or the other."

of course this is just a little attempt at masonic humor on the part of an individual who is not a mason, so you masons out there don't be too harsh on me

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by sandman692

When you get into the Rites, most of the so-called "higher degrees" are conferred at the same time. Especially in Memphis and Mitzraim, where they just took you aside, pronounced you 94°, and then gave you the manuscripts to study. The 95° and higher were honorary and/or administrative.

The Grand College of Rites no longer confers these degrees per se, but they are available for study to the general membership.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
Just noticed that 20 and 35 are the same... Is this supposed to happen?

OP is correct that the 20th degree, is Knight of the Temple; however, the 35th, should read: Sublime Commander of the Temple.

If you read French, there's a good write-up at the French wiki entry:
fr.wikipedia.org...

An extremely good English destination on the web, is:
McBean and Gabirro, A Complete History Of The Ancient And Primitive Rite (2002)

[edit on 31-5-2008 by Fire_In_The_Minds_of_Men]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Fire_In_The_Minds_of_Men

Bookmarked for later. Only question about that that I have now is is that just a typo then?

TheBorg

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join