It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are YOU afraid to speak the TRUTH?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Short one:

Been thinking; not many people on this forum use their real faces in their avatars.
Some even "censor" their pictures in some way or another.
Not many is giving out their location or country of origin.
I don't think it's even 0.1% who give out their real name.

I am guilty as charged to all of the above and I know I am far from alone.

This is why?

Becuse you have bad self-confidence?
No. This is no dating site.
Because it makes you more clandestine and cool?
No. That gives no credibility to your posts.
Because you are, even though you won't admit it, afraid.
Maybe.

I can say, without acting too paranoid, that I am, if not afraid, cautious.
Yes, I know, they can track me down with IP-locating and such but still and I do consider this before posting. You never know.
Suddenly you might just start that thread that really pinches that nerv, maybe you write something that gets the big red flashing light go off. They won't storm your house or anything that radical, but they might just keep an extra watchful eye on your behaviour.

My questions:
Do you ever feel afraid, or maybe a similar but not so acute emotion, when posting here?
Have you ever wanted to post something, let's say; radical, and then changed your mind when you think about eventual reprecussions?
Do you sereiously suspect that this forum is closesly monitored from the outside or even inside?
Why do you think most users tend to remain as anonymous as possible?

[edit=typo]

[edit on 11-3-2008 by Raud]

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Raud

I am not afraid! That is for sure. ...pay no attention to my anonymous avatar : P

anyway, really, though..... I have no reason to be afraid. As I am just some idiot with no smarts to use knowledge, let alone, any smarts to know the inside knowledge that is so dangerous, in the first place.

even an idiot can know what righteous is though, and that, I do know.

and I also know, that this easy thing to understand that is called "righteous" is all that needs to be understood for this world to get better.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Afraid or just sensible?

I live in two worlds. (like Neo eh?) One is my daily life that everyone knows me by my face & my real world creations and the other is one I created in cyberspace when I registered that I can kill off and recreate another day if I wish.

Though I'm not completely anonymous (I don't spoof my IP, wardrive, block ATS from seeing my machine or use a remailer with my email), I keep my ATS world separate from my personal & professional world because that gives me more leeway to take, test or adjust my positions/subjects that may not be in my best interest in my "real life".

Not afraid - I'm just able to relax a bit more here without worrying about offending someone who might create a negative effect on my income or real world relationships.

Some sites I am who I am in the real world, but since ATS gives us the option - I choose to play the game along with most everyone else here.

[edit on 11-3-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Raud

My real name is so common that people would think I was making it up.

I'm too lazy to put up an avatar.

When not online, I am never shy about saying what is on my mind, and have been accused of being brutally honest, so I am not afraid to say what is on my mind while online, either.

I don't worry about being monitored for any reason. I don't think anybody should, unless they are threatening to hurt people, or are giving away secrets that would be a detriment to national security.

I guess it all boils down to just how paranoid you are!

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   
If the government is reading this right now then they can go ‘beep’ themselves

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
You can look upon me and not see what's hidden beneath the illusion of the phyical eyes that tell the lies to your phyical mind that is in sleep of death without awakening to the fact of me behind the mask being that which you see over there.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Yeah, you bet, *fruit* them!

I guess I am pretty paranoid, but don't say I haven't got the reason!

There are some things on my mind that I wish I had the guts to post, but I am not willing to take the risk...it might blow the whole thing... Better keep it to converstaions IRL with all cellphones in the vincinity switched off... That is paranoid. I know.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Not afraid to post anything but my opinion or direct knowledge within legal means.

The only problem I see on a routine basis is the wackjobs that disagree with with my view attack the messenger, not the message. I would encourage anyone with different views to post but keep on topic. This is how people become informed or even change their point of view.

As for my avatar, it's a test page of a radiofaxsimile from station JMH in Tokyo Japan. No, that's not me.

I feel that people want to remain somewhat anonymous as they are younger as a group, less secure in their thoughts, and they have grown up with this internet thing and are used to the anonymous means of the internet.

In my particular case, many people in my area know me and more than several of them love to read the posts I leave, but they are too bashful to get involved. (Get the hint folks)

Good questions and a star....

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I think those with something to lose are more afraid to speak the truth than others who feel they have nothing to lose.

Also, even if we can be tracked online, most of us maybe still think we're anonymous and nobody can identify us because we're behind some computer at home or work.

I will pose another question. If ATS required verified first and last names instead of nicknames, how many posts would we see here about the 'truth'?

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Good Questions....Good Questions...

It's not that I'm scared, or afraid, I am just suspicious. Having lived in a free country, I shouldn't be nervous about posting my opinion, but the truth is, I think some of us are just a litle cautious... If someone really wanted to know anything about me, I'm sure they could figure it out, the internet is not as secure as we all think it is. Everything I'm doing right now, is probably being logged on some massive server somewhere (Email, ATS, Facebook, TripAdvisor, My University Email etc..) ... We can't really hide...

All in all, I think it just makes us all feel a little bit better about the stuff we put up on the net... Radicals, Rebels, Protesters...etc... have recieved flack in the past for speaking out, and standing up, and generally just thinking for themselves and not following the crowd... Even though it probably doesn't make a difference, using a screen name, makes some of us feel better about the stands we take in certain topics. And about our opinions on specific subjects, that may be considered, "Not so Low-Profile" and could be of interest to some third party with "Not so Nice" Motives. Who knows..? Maybe it just gives us the illusion that we are being "sneaky" lol.

As for ATS being monitored from the inside or the outside....anything is possible...Anything is possible.

[edit on 12-3-2008 by CA_Orot]

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
What are you talking about? That is me right there!
And what makes you think that my name isn't in fact bobafett?

Or, I could say, try ordering a pizza or making reservations with my name and you will get laughed at.

Though, at times, if you are nice, I will let you call me Shirley.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Very good thread!

Personally, I am suspicious. Not just of who might be lurking in the shadows, but I don't necessarily want just anybody on this site attacking me personally.

I have written hundreds of articles on the net under my real name and I have said some pretty direct things in them and it has never bothered me. But those articles weren't on subjects that could eventually get me locked up in some camp.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I am more afraid of just wackos on here then I am of the government. LOL

I have already posted my picture - took it down.
I have already posted where I generally live.
I dont post my real name, nor my addresss....my IP addy is know by those running the site, but I dont care.
I only use this screen name here.

I just dont want to give out my pictures/name to strangers on here. To many crazies. LOL
has nothing to do with what I post about.

[edit on 12-3-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Good thread. I've thought about doing a thread like this many times.

My experiences in life have brought me in contact with some very dangerous, whacko, crazy and just plain mean people. I have also been stalked on the Internet more than once. I'm still not afraid to put my general location on my profile.

It is sad to think but most people in our world are living in fear of someone bothering them. This is why crimes are committed with witnesses that do not lift a finger to help the victim and sure won't testify against anyone in court. Damn cowards.

It torques me when a poster will speak ill of a country and not have their location listed.

Fear is a self imposed prison. Fear fuels paranoia. I refuse to allow fear to dictate the way I live my life.

I am cautious and watchful and always have a weapon at hands reach. That's just good sense
to me. I'm well known in my city and surrounding counties. Easy to find too. But scared is one thing I am not.

Dizzie

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I'm not fearful of what I believe, I'm just of the opinion that it is not wise to put too much personal information out on the internet for any ol joe schmoe to see. If I have a belief then it is solid enough to stand behind it.

You just never know what wacko is out there and the internet so I try to play it safe and not put myself out there if not necessary.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Since I am no astrophysicist nor any threat to government or higher powers, nor do I have any access to secrets that would be considered "national security threat" no....I am not afraid. I like to speak my mind and comment on what I believe. If that makes me a target for some reason, so be it. The only reason I used an avatar instead of my real picture is because I thought it looked cool and most importantly I am REALLY REALLY FUGLY and I didn't want to scare or make anyone here sick to their stomach.

We can't all be rocket scientists.......or good looking

[edit on 12-3-2008 by QBSneak000]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by QBSneak000
I am REALLY REALLY FUGLY and I didn't want to scare or make anyone here sick to their stomach.

We can't all be rocket scientists.......or good looking

, spoken like a true Canuck. I'm just a hop over Baker from you neighbor here in the Skagit River flood plane. I have posted my picture as an avatar before here, but it was in the shadow - FUGLY not, but half-way to geezerhood.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame

It torques me when a poster will speak ill of a country and not have their location listed.

Dizzie

Err... Didn't think about that aspect. I feel like such a hypocrite....
Been flaming both US and Russia in the past without givning my country of origin away...why do I do that?

Good point. Will think it through...

Thank you for all the nice replies.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
You are all cowardly.

Thank God one of us has a pair.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by doctormcauley
You are all cowardly.

Thank God one of us has a pair.

I am a female. I don't mind saying it when something like what you stated pops up.

I don't need or want a pair, nor should it have anything to do with what a person's opnion is.

I am quite sure, this is a reason why some females might not be likely to state that they are females, and, or put up a picture.

Apparently, your "pair" has not matured yet.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join