It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You Follow All the Traffic Laws Police Departments Will Go Bankrupt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Your local police department needs you to break traffic laws so they can ticket you and create revenue. If every person started to obey the traffic laws the Police departments would go bankrupt. I found this interesting tidbit of information in one of those, avoiding speeding tickets books, written by a 20 year New York State police veteran; I wish I remembered the book or still had it, otherwise I would give him proper credit for this statement.

I don’t hate cops and they make me feel safe. What I don’t like are those certain police departments that seem to over ticket. I work in a small city with such a reputation. They have never given me any trouble and I have only had one speeding ticket in my life, which I did deserve. What I don’t like are all these new traffic cameras they are installing to create even more revenue. There are many scenarios that can cause someone to run a traffic light, and the point of having a human officer is so he can objectify the situation where a machine sees in black and white.

If we allow this to happen pretty soon there will be a traffic camera at every light in this country and next will come the speed cameras like they have in the U.K. So the best way to fight these overzealous ticketers is to not break any more traffic laws, at least in these certain towns so the police departments and the traffic camera companies (which get a very big cut) will have to find other ways to profit. People make mistakes, that’s why a police officer can pull up your info and maybe if he sees you have a pretty good driving record he can give you a break: I have never heard of a traffic camera mailing anyone a warning.

It would be interesting to see how a police department would react to a situation like this. Would they make the laws even stricter hoping to write more tickets? Would they have to appeal to the government to help subsidize the loss of income? I know police departments aren’t dependent on just writing tickets but they pay for a lot of things they need.

Its kind of Ironic they need you to break the law, yet your not supposed and you will be punished if you do.

I do like cops, just not all police departments.

[edit on 11-3-2008 by jojoKnowsBest]

[edit on 11-3-2008 by jojoKnowsBest]

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
This is good example; in Dallas they found red light cameras to be to affective. Since they installed them people have stopped running red lights at these intersections and the camera's stopped raking in income. The company who absorbed the cost of these cameras cant make back the money they invested. Check out the link from MSNBC.

Red light cameras too good for their own good?

They are not alone. Faced with data showing that drivers pay attention to cameras at intersections — resulting in fewer ticketable violations and ever-shrinking revenue from fines — municipalities across the country are reconsidering red light cameras, which often work too well.

[edit on 21-3-2008 by jojoKnowsBest]

new topics

join