It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf War Illness Strongly Linked to Chemical Exposure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Gulf War Illness Strongly Linked to Chemical Exposure

www.washingtonpost.com

A new scientific review finds a strong association between exposure to certain chemicals and the Gulf War illness suffered by many veterans...

...An estimated 250,000 personnel received the carbamate pyridostigmine bromide (PB) as a pretreatment for potential exposure to nerve agents. Those who took more pills had a higher incidence of symptoms.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
So, as stated in the article, there has been much speculation and several studies done focusing on what has become known as Gulf War Illness (Syndrome). This article brings together 115 different papers written on the subject and compares the results to known symptoms of various chemical agents.

It looks like the PB (pyridostigmine bromide) pills given to soldiers as a preventative measure against nerve agents is very likely to have been the cause for some of these cases. It further states that soldiers were exposed to unsafe amounts of various pesticides.

Is the military/government simply that irresponsible that they gave potentially tainted pills to our soldiers and left them in places where could be exposed to some very harmful pesticides? Or do you think some of the wide-ranging conspiracies are true and the government intentionally exposed our soldiers to some very ill stuff?

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
My uncle was a good man. He was a hard working electrician. He served his country as a tank commander during the 1st Gulf War.

When he got back he told me that while the poisen gas alerts sounded his commanding officers who were wearing gas masks told him everything was OK and he shouldn't worry about wearing his cheap torn mask.

Eight months after he came home he tied his wife to chair and blew her head off with a shotgun. He dosen't know why to this day he did that.

I don't recognize my uncle any more.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I was there and fortunately for me, once the air campaign started, I was detached from my unit to a high corps level HQ with two others manning a RATT rig (radio teletype), and since we were able to remote our vehicle/radio station almost 2 miles from HQ, we were able to avoid taking those pills, though ordered to.

Before leaving for the front, these pills were issued in blisterpacks to every soldier in formation and a briefing was conducted about this pill. We were informed that it was to help us should we be under chemical attack and that it would help with the already distributed atropine injector packs which were in our protective mask carrier.

When the officer ( I can't remember if he was a medical doctor), was asked if this was tested, he was honest and said that it wasn't, which obviously concerned my unit personnel.

Since he admitted this to us, we were under direct orders to take this, which meant squad level formations or higher, popping the pill out, putting it in our hand to show the superiors, then having a higher up witness each soldier taking the pill.

This was also worrying to me and my fellow unit members.

Of course they said it was for our own benefit. I don't blame the unit, they were following orders as well, which was obvious since this was such an important deal.

4 pills a day, every six hours if I remember correctly.

Once my Ratt team was detached to the front in support of a higher unit, and we were remoted 2 miles from the HQ, we as a team, did the blisterpack deal though we tossed the pills.

I didn't take those pills for very many days, but I have had some nerve damage near my spinal canal which was exposed via MRI, though I have not had any traumatic event such as an automobile accident or something of that sort that would cause this nerve spiderweb that has been identified.

I can only imagine the ill effects that this pill would have had on my fellow soldiers that took the full cycle of these (untested at the time) pills.

Guinea pigs is what I thought we were, and it looks like I was right.

My reasoning was the fact that from the training I received, I was always under the impression that we could not survive a nerve agent attack, if exposed, the atropine injector kit and the PB pills to me were a way for the military to hopefully have some live (but vegetated) specimens to examine in hopes to find something that could help to develop an actual antidote for certain nerve agents for future use.

From Guinea pigs on down is my own personal speculation, so don't ask me for links for that, I just wanted to let you know my feelings on the whole fiasco.

My father served four terms in Vietnam and has suffered some of the effects of Agent Orange, now I have something in common with him.

I am sure that once my generation of Gulf war veterans is weeded out by the effects of this experiment, more of the truth will surface, though I don't expect that any justice will be served to the victims.

Whatever you do , please do not blame the soldiers, the marines, the airmen who served for a higher purpose, serving YOU, the citizens of our country.

I could feel bitter, but I honestly do not know where this type of decision is made so I will not place blame myself, I just have to go on with my life the best that I can and try to live it in a way that leaves no shame upon my family.

I deal with the things I can control and don't waste my time worrying about things I can't.

I would like to say that I am surprised by this news,

I'm not.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Hi JacKatMtn,
My husband was in on the first wave also. He was stationed in state after it was over. It is funny that after all these years the redcross just okayed him to give blood this year. (2008)

second coment: During outprocessing physicals, the pa had a specific list of symptoms and if anyone had more than three on the list they were refered to a whole different team to process them.

new topics

top topics

join