It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media continues to blur the lines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Recently, while watching the news, I was immediately concerned when a major nightly news anchor began reporting on the mental health of a pop music star whose name I will omit. A couple days later, while reading the newspaper, I overheard (why it was even on my television, I cannot say) a major entertainment television show reporting on the presidential campaigns. These are not the only times I've noticed this recent trend. I've also noticed local news station carrying story's that recount the popular television shows in which celebrities compete in a dance-off and also one in which contestants compete by singing and dancing while viewers at home vote for the contestant they like best. Are these television show's results really news worthy?

Why do I think this is such a big deal? Well, there's a reason why it's called "Entertainment News" and "National News".

Is America so interested in a Hollywood pop music star's children that they need nightly updated on their child support between the local weather and international news?

Are our political figures and judicial system becoming more of an entertainment novelty than a legitimate interest?

In my eyes, the blurring of the lines between "entertainment" and "news" raises major concerns about what should be taken seriously here in America. Before long major political scandals such as Watergate will begin to be laughed off just as the latest arrest of an actor or actress is.

Is this a major concern for anyone else? Has anyone else noticed the blurring of entertainment and news lately? If so, please describe.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I think the replies to this thread pretty much sum up the existing complacency of most Americans.

They no longer care ... as long as it doesn't inconvenience them. Raise the price of gas and all of a sudden they start to complain.

Well, suck it up buttercup because if you'd raised an issue and pretended like you cared a year ago, or two years ago, or even a month ago ... maybe the price of gas wouldn't have gone up.

Maybe if your nightly news had been reporting on the war in Sudan, or the ethnic uprisings in Iraq rather than how Britney Spears is fighting for her children, you could have aired your grievances to your local congressman, as I have, and possibly - eventually, changed the situation.

[edit on 23-4-2008 by tyranny22]

new topics

join