It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Say They Use Tasers on Non-Violent People

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Police Say They Use Tasers on Non-Violent People

www.canada.com

However, in a number of cases, police used the Taser as soon as someone displayed a "fighting stance" or simply to get a non-violent suspect to do what they were told.

"Suspect fled from plainclothes members and resisted arrest when caught. Suspect was taken to the ground but refused to allow [officers] to handcuff him and held his arms underneath his body," reads one report from 2006. "Strikes and open hand techniques were attempted but the suspect was still resisting. A [Taser] drive stun was applied to the suspect's lower back and the suspect was then handcuffed."

Jason Gratl, president of the B.C. Civil Liberties Association, said he was troubled to see Vancouver police are using the Taser as a compliance tool.

"The officers seem content to Taser individuals for lack of compliance with verbal commands or aggressive posturing," said Gratl. "It is dead certain from these reports that Tasers are not merely an alternative to the use of sidearms but are used in practice as a convenient tool to gain physical control over individuals."

There is debate over whether the Taser should be used to get non-violent suspects to comply with police orders.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Uh-oh...Me thinks this is going to cause some serious uproar...With the rise in Police brutality being shown all over the news as of late, this is going to further enrage the public.

www.canada.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Uh-oh...Me thinks this is going to cause some serious uproar...With the rise in Police brutality being shown all over the news as of late, this is going to further enrage the public.

It may enrage a few people, but little will be done in the long run.

The police will continue to use electrocution as a means to subdue, and we Canadians will continue to let it happen.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The Taser was created for use as a non-lethal alternative for police and individuals to subdue a dangerous opponent. The idea was that cops could tase a subject who was wielding a potentially deadly weapon such as a baseball bat, knife, etc. with minimal risk to the officer, and without pulling a gun and simply shooting the subject.

Sadly, it has become a weapon of torture to be used by lazy, under-trained, testosterone-filled bullies in uniform. It is now used on unarmed subjects almost universally in situations where years ago any physical violence of any kind would have been considered unwarranted. Where once police would at least TRY and talk to a subject and peacefully resolve a situation, now they just pull out that little sparking monster and zap 'em till they fall and can't move, then zap 'em again beacuse they're not responding as the cops would like (because they can't move).

"Non-lethal" weaponry is designed for the express purpose of inflicting pain to enforce authority. Sounds a whole lot like torture to me.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Nighthawk
"Non-lethal" weaponry is designed for the express purpose of inflicting pain to enforce authority. Sounds a whole lot like torture to me.

Right on the nose! That is exactly what this tech is, a torture device.

star for you for that very astute observation.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
No doubt. I just had to do a debate where I was pro-tasers and I was cringing the entire time.

Tasers are great when used in correct situations. They should not be used on people who do not pose a threat to others or themselves.

Why would you risk injuring someone for the sake of injuring them? Pepper spray also.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620
No doubt. I just had to do a debate where I was pro-tasers and I was cringing the entire time.

Tasers are great when used in correct situations. They should not be used on people who do not pose a threat to others or themselves.

Why would you risk injuring someone for the sake of injuring them? Pepper spray also.

The real purpose of Tasers, I've long suspected, is to put an end to passive resistance. In the protests of old people would simply sit down, go limp and not fight back, and cops had to literally pick people up and carry them off. They couldn't just beat a peaceful protester without SOMEBODY raising a stink and the pictures hitting the cover of "Time". Well now, they tase that person, juice 'em up to make them "pay" for inconveniencing them, and also to enrage others to fight, thus giving cops an excuse to open up with something heavier (sap gloves, batons, guns, etc.). Resisting arrest peacably is one thing, likely to get someone a slap on the wrist. Push someone to violence against a police officer and that slap on the wrist becomes a serious crime with serious consquences. Make no mistake, the police state is here and now.

new topics

top topics

join