It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crime Beat: Tips from public help nab criminals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Crime Beat: Tips from public help nab criminals

www.poughkeepsiejournal.com

Keeping your eyes peeled and your ears perked up could help police nab their next criminal.

"Sometimes it's a little thing, like, 'I saw a vehicle I've never seen before,' " said T.J. Hanlon, public information officer for the Dutchess County Sheriff's Office.

These "little" observations could be bigger than they seem; they could potentially be the missing puzzle pieces that police are hoping to find when conducting an investigation...

...Hanlon said the department strongly encourages the public to call in with tips regarding a crime, no matter how small the tip may seem.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This article gave me the chills when I woke up this morning and saw it on the front page. Welcome to police-state USA where all your neighbors are watching you. If this isn't something straight out of Stalin's playbook, I dunno what is. Everyone is now a spy, and the police-state has eyes and ears everywhere.

I understand that the public can play a role in solving and even deterring legitimate crime, but we don't need a headline article about it. This is more than a message to the people reminding them to "be good citizens." It is a threat, and a reminder of the omnipotence of the state. This article is meant to maintain the climate of fear.

www.poughkeepsiejournal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I can remember a time when real cops were anathema to the idea of the public getting involved in police work.

Unless of course they came to you first to ask questions, or perhaps if you were witnessing a crime in progress. But that is a far cry from using the public as an intelligence-gathering apparatus. I can remember when dispatchers would complain about calls like this jamming up the lines, when there was real police work to be done.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Nothing to see here huh?

Now I don't know what's more scary. The "big-brother" in my face news article, or that no one seems to think that it is an issue.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Starred! Flagged!

Thanks for posting this Jack!

I agree, this is getting beyond disturbing...It's like they're encouraging a paranoid society. Fear, Fear, Fear...Report, Report, Report!

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
thanx for the heads up jack . seems big borther dosent think its got enough spy resources to use against there own people now they try to convince us to spy on our selves. this is just sick if it wasent for the fact that it tastes so good id stop eating this chinese food. never mind i have no appetite now , and now they ruined my dinner thanx nanny state.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
To add to this-I just saw a video a couple of weeks ago on the internet about this very subject, and almost posted a thread on it...It was a short clip of cops going from neighborhood to neighborhood and indoctrinating people on how to rat out any type of suspicious behavior, and which agencies to call. I bet that video is still floating around---It was alarming.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I wouldn't know what search criteria to use for that, so I'm not gonna go on a wild-goose chase at the moment. But if you come across it again, please do post it here, or in a new thread. (U2U me if you start a new thread with it.)

[edit on 3/10/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Interesting.

On the surface, helping to stop crime looks fine. But the problem is, we know there is another element here looking for excuses to get away with things they can't do easily, what better way than to start distrust/dissention from within the community. [enabling a Hatfields and McCoys type scenario come to mind ]

I'm not FOR criminals to get away with anything, but the sheeple have no clue how their sense of right and wrong is being twisted by methods used which are similar to those of the communists, who got most of their tips from their own citizens pimping on each other.

If the federal and state and local weren't combining, I'd have less of an objection.

A house divided, cannot stand.

new topics

top topics

join