It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Law to make tongue kissing minors a sex offense

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Law to make tongue kissing minors a sex offense

www.cnn.com

RICHMOND, Virginia (AP) -- State legislators passed a law Saturday that would require adults who French kiss a child younger than 13 to register as a sex offender.

Those convicted of tongue-kissing a child would be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in jail and a $2,500 fine. The House of Delegates passed the legislation 96-1 and the Senate 39-0.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Apparently I've been living in my own world again, because I already thought that this was illegal.

I'd strive for stricker punishments for this, but hey, it's a start.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I thought it was already illegal for an adult 18+ to do anything of the like with a minor under 16...

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Me too. I will be shuddering for about 10 days now at the thought that this actually happens. WTH is wrong with people.

My only questin is..... WHY...... WHY would someone do that?

***Please note*** this is a question in which I do not want to know the answer to. DO NOT tell me the answer because TRUELY DO NOT want or need to know.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I should bl**dy well think so!

Why would any normal person want to do that to a child anyway?

Society is way to soft on paedophiles anyway.
They should be treated like the animals that they are and forever hounded wherever they are found!

[edit on 10-3-2008 by scobro]

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I agree that we are too soft. I would say at least a good flogging is in order, a public flogging upon conviction before they are sent to prison, and then once more for good measure when they get released, just to let them know we remember and we are watching. Strike two should be shot on sight.

If they did not get it the first time, then they arent going to understand the second, so just shoot on site. It is quick, and cheap.

apc

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by C0le

Depends on the state. For example over in Kansas it's 16, but here in Missouri you're legally an adult at 17. Usually it's the difference in age that matters as far as any sort of statutory situation, but I thought it's only when sex is involved. Kissing... I don't know I'm going to have to think about that before forming an opinion.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I agree with you all here. I thought this was already illegal? I mean not only is it agsint the law, but its just morally wrong. I just will never understand how a grow person can tounge kiss a child passionately?
I mean really, I didnt think we needed a law to make that clear?

So whats going on here? Are people doing this in public alot? I guess I dont get out much, but really.. Stuff like this happens alot and its a good thing a law is in place for such lost souls like those of do this.
And it doesnt seem to be as hefty punishment either.. I mean if a guy is going to kiss a kid like that, you know what else is leading to that?

Someone kissing like that has intent to do much more, so are they just slapping these sickos on the wrist and letting them go back to where the child is?? Kids should be taken out of the home at that point, the person doing it should be sent to prison and stripped of their chance to hurt that child any further, no mistermeters! That should be an out right felony from the get go. Unless they are just using the system to their advantage. AT this point in life, sometimes the bad guys have more right than the victums.. Sad.

apc

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
See that's where I'm having trouble with this... how is the child being seriously harmed? Sex causes psychological trauma I know, but somehow a consensual kiss is fine... an open mouthed kiss is too... but the moment a tongue is involved they should be locked up? I can see how this could be considered somewhat harmful if only because one thing can lead to another, but it's not on the same level as fondling or sex.

I guess I agree with this legislature's course of action - making it a misdemeanor. As long as the listing is temporary I can tolerate the offender registry as well. In no way does this warrant a felony conviction or prison as the child is not being seriously endangered. It's sick, perverse, and disgusting yes. But those are opinions based on a moral standpoint. Morality should stay out of the legal system else we get tyranny based on bias and opinion. We have enough of that already.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Key words I picked up here are "seriously harmed" and "consensual kiss". I think any measurement of harm warrants punishment.

I cannot see any reason for anyone to be french kissing anyone 12 and under. By definition of the law, no child of that age can consent; so by the definition of the law, there cannot be a consensual french kiss. Certain states have laws against anything that might lead to a sexual situation as well. That "innocent" act of french kissing can be a stepping stone to grooming the child for even worse acts.

I do not agree with the statement "I can see how this could be considered somewhat harmful if only because one thing can lead to another, but it's not on the same level as fondling or sex".

The statement minimizes the situation with "somewhat" "if only" "it's not". Read the same statement without using minimizing words. A french kiss is a romantic, pleasureable, erotic act. There is simply no justification against doing it. No offense meant to anyone, but I want to share a play on words. This is actual thinking from sexual offenders. (I used to volunteer and help counselors) "All I did was...", "I just"..."She liked it"... One step leads to another because they get "bored". If you BASE jump, you want more and more excitement because "just" jumping off a bridge gets old.

Sorry if I go overboard here, but working with victims and offenders you see things that most people overlook. I admit that some offenders, I believe to be innocent. Others offend because they didn't see themselves hurting anyone. (whats a quick fondle hurt anyone anyway?) But the victims, how because they were young, were easily manipulated by someone with 10,20,30,40 years of life experience. This law is a good thing, but it's a shame it has to exists because wow, people should know better.

apc

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
The possibility for harm existing is why I think this action is appropriate. What some people are calling for, throwing people in prison and whatever, is not. The punishment must fit the crime, not some hypothetical intent (thought-crime). Even pedophiles have rights that must be defended if we are all to keep our own.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
APC... Man, we are talking about children under the age of 12!!!
YUCK! I understand you are only playing devils advocate here, so I will do my best to try not to let me emotions get in the way here.

Tounge kissing a child that young should be a felony.. Period. If a guy is going to kiss a child like that, its purely grooming them into something else.
Now lets talk about kids who are 12 +. I think your message would apply to any kids over the age of 12. But younger than 12.. Come on..
Dont sit there and play devils advocate to these pedo who abuse children.
It seem these days these pedos have more rights than the damn child they are abusing.
Someone is going to have to step up to the plate, and say look.. There is a point where a child should be protected. And IM talking about the young ones. Under 12.. Yes over 12 the laws can be less. I can agree with you on that.. But I seriously disagree with any grown up kissing a kid under 12 like that..
Ill just leave out what I would personally do if I ever saw that happening infront of my own eyes..

But do know. The more people we have playing into their hands. Another child grows up, and thinks its okay.. And repeats the hate over and over agin.

Those of us who where groomed at a young at will stand up aginst this crap, and push for the full punishment! Thats like saying, Well sir, he only has the crack bagged up in little baggies.. He sertinly was not going to sell it!!

Or I only have a loaded gun, and tons of ammo, But I never had any plans on shooting anyone.. Dont mind this ski mask.. Its harmless..
phfffff

apc

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I am NOT playing devil's advocate. If it were my kid and I caught someone with their tongue down his or her throat, they'd never find the body. But what I do to protect mine and what the State does are two different concerns. This activity is simply not on the same level of threat to public safety as exists with someone who molests or has sex with a child. Something being disgusting and emotionally disturbing does not mean it is causing definitive harm or loss. Show me a case of a person suffering from PTSD that can be traced to getting kissed when they were 10 and I'll concede. Otherwise the offense is simply not serious enough to warrant the level of punishment that you advocate.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Show me a case of a person suffering from PTSD that can be traced to getting kissed when they were 10 and I'll concede.

Well I thought this would be an easy one. But I was wrong. Granted Ive only spent 1 day looking and researching a few cases. And overall the research I did to try to pinpoint this has left me a bit sick.
And did rumage up some old memories I didnt want to relive.
Well such is life. And such is trick questions.

Most of these kids 10 years and under really dont understand there is anything wrong with kissing a grown up like that. As thats why its called grooming. So we are to say its a light offence for sexual grooming. Becasue I could find no proof of kissing leading into PTSD directly.

No cases so far of children getting PTSD from just kissing alone. But I will keep looking in my free time. I think its an important issue.
And I know we both agree on protecting our own children. And the state is a different thing all together.

I guess at the end of the day all we can do is protect "your own". And make sure those around you are safe.

I know this is a tricky issue. And the law can be used to go after someone who honestly did nothing wrong.

Thats why the system is so blind.. It has to be.. If not tons of people would use it as their personal get back at you system.

To many people lie, and try to frame people these days.

But you know who gets hurt..

Those kids with no protection being groomed for later sexual abuse that will most sertinly lead to PTSD. I should know.. Im a victum, and better yet this happened to me in a church. Where I was groomed by the preist.
Kissing, and being on my knees often to kiss the preists ring on his finger.
I dont even want to get into details..
But If the state would have stepped in and put that preist in jail..
I wouldnt have the issues I have today..
But becasue he was a high standing preist.. When I told on him.. They said hes a preist. He wouldnt do that. He only loves you..
But such is the way of the world.. I deal with it everyday..
So I guess these poor kids are going to have to tuff it out like I did..

[edit on 14-3-2008 by zysin5]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Sorry to hear a bout your past experieces. I have mine own past distressing expeirences I wont go into.

Frankly, noone should have to worry about the state if everyone participated in the system on a daily basis to the fullest extent. Get away from the Television and take a few hours to go over recent budget and curct documents with a few people, and corruption can be virtually estinguished. the point is, if everyday millions of citizens across the country are auditing their own government, it would be impossible to hide anything from us. WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT! Stop believeing that the government is some kind of seperate entity who's job is to make sure you dont have to do anything with it except vote for the guy who says stuff you like.

I believe there should be heavy regulation of business, complete removal of private ownership over strategic resources, and zero tolerance for any kind of crime against a minor. whether it be slapping a kid, buying him beer/tobacco, or giving them a tongue kiss.

If anyone were to see such a thing, it is their duty as a citizen to immideately and forcefully detain that man and have him handed to the authorities. I do not believe they should be shown mercy because it was a kiss and not sex or fondling.

If an adult tongue kisses a child of the age we are discussing here, he is a pedophile. A pedophile is a pedophile is a pedophile. There is no rationalizing the intent.

when human traffickers and sex tradesman are caught with their hapless victims, we dont give them a lesser sentence just because they have not yet "delivered the people". We should not go leniant on a pedophile for a tongue kiss because he/she has not yet delivered the sex.

[edit on 3/19/2008 by DYepes]

apc

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Thanks DYepes. Nice to get the occasional reminder of what a fascist looks like.

zysin5, I don't mean to minimize your experiences or anything. What you have shared at least would be absolutely applicable as a history of behavior if the priest were ever to go on and commit more serious acts and would weigh heavily on the severity of his sentencing. But the grooming alone does not justify a life sentence, which in reality is what a felony conviction is. People who haven't much experience with the legal system don't usually realize that. The punishment must always fit the crime and emotion or morality must not enter into the equation. This is why I would tolerate a temporary sexual offender registry for people convicted of this misdemeanor. The act itself is fairly benign compared to what is possible. While those hypothetical possibilities can not justify further punishment, they can justify continued scrutiny.

top topics

join