It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Elder Futhark and Runes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I had no knowledge of this language/numeric system/songs called the Futhard until I was given a silver locket as a gift, it is an odd shaped locket, looks like a door with Celtic knootting on the front of it, and on the back are 4 rune symbols, side by side. the symbols are for Algiz, Raidho, Tiwaz, and Sowilo, in that order. I am wondering if any of you out there could enlighten me as to what these mean when they are side by side?

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Seems to be a general protection talisman.

Algiz = Protection
Raidho = Journey
Teiwaz = Duty, Strength
Sowilo = Success, Positive Energy, Health

So, put together, it seems to be a charm for protection on your journey through life, to grant you strength and good health.

I don't believe it translates to an exact sentence. I also don't believe it is intended to do so.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Correct on all points!!

The runes are interesting (I learned to read them) -- to the Norse, anyone who could write was both powerful and magical, so the individual letter shapes had meaning... as well as being a way to write down messages.

Wikipedia has a pretty neat article on them (including the bits about the belief that they are of divine origin):
en.wikipedia.org...

I got interested in them in the 1960's, when LORD OF THE RINGS came out and we all sat around trying to decipher the Elvish script and the Dwarven runes. I do use them for problem solving (a "free association" sort of thing)

Just for fun, here's a free rune reading site:
www.facade.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Given the history of the runes do you find it in any way unsual that this locket was made in the 1930's? It came from an estate sale in Louisiana, and we were told that it was the families grandmother's item, and that she had it made in the 30's.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Finding the maiden name of the grandmother may give you a more accurate reading of the RUNEs. The meaning varied slightly from culture to culture. Identifying the race of the grandmother may give you the exact intent of the locket. I have a feeling that is is basically a good luck charm as replied by the previous. As to the lockets craft circa 1930s it is an item of particular meaning since interests where not that great in decoding FUTHARK among common people at the time

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaypeth

Well... I would have to argue. Germany at the time, as I'm sure we all know, was super gung-ho Germanic nationalism / cultural revival. It is definitely possible - maybe even likely - that this is the origin of the piece of jewelry in question.

So, might not be just an interesting bit of jewelry, but also a peephole into history

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Very interesting WalkingFox, because the family did come from Germany. I do not have the family name, maybe if I go back to the antique dealership who acquired it for me they would know. But I do remember them saying she came here from Germany. I feel like it is an important piece of jewelry for some reason, that is why I brought it up in this forum, I was able to find out what the rune symbols were, but I have not seen a single example of them placed in a single line like these are. Also there is a maker's mark, I am very familiar with most common marks but I have not been able to locate this particular maker. The antique dealer had no knowledge of what the locket was, he didn't even know what the symbols were, so as far as value goes, he didn't know what the value would be and based it on current silver values, my hubby practically got it for nothing.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
"arts" translates as "kind" in German, according to Babelfish. But the fact that it's runes is odd in and of itself. It might be some sort of organization or might stand for a motto in German.

Interesting. Time for more digging! I'll have to see if I can think of any occultic groups using Runes in that time period. See if you can get a name (whose estate it was and where they lived.) We can see if we can track down an obituary and find out more.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

This is getting more and more interesting! I am going back to the dealer, her grandfather is the buyer for this location and was unavailable this week, I am going back on tuesday and will get back with you with any additional info I can get. Thanks!

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Sorry I have not been back to this thread in a few days. I have not been able to get any more information on this locket. Mr. Masters, the gentleman who procured this locket, doesn't have any furhter info on it. It has been a while and he said he doesn't keep that kind of record for his antiques. I am dissapointed. Maybe the makers mark is a hint. It is a circle with a dot in the center, but the circle doesn't quite close together at the bottom. Very small mark. But like I said before, I used to work looking up maker's marks, and this one is unusual to me, I have never seen it.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I'll have to look it up, but I'm positive at least one of those runes at the top of the website is a sumerian glyph, the 'arrow head'. Others maybe, but the only reason I remember that one is because Sitchin tried to explain this as meaning 'cockpit' as he placed it the larger body. Reminds me of the 'ben-ben' too.

Just random thoughts, always been interested in runes and I'd like to here more on this.

thanks. EMM

[edit on 23-3-2008 by ElectroMagnetic Multivers]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
In the 1910-30 there was a "fad" regards runes and Viking items. This piece could be a copy of those pieces or influenced by that fad. This was driven by the finding of several ship burials and the materials from the mass graves associated with the Battle of Visby.

Battle of Visby

Oseberg ship

A list of viking ship finds

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
could just be initials or anagram. it could even siply say ART'S as in this locket belongs to art. it is a form of writeing after all, in fact i know of many such ingraveings and such that is english written in futharc, for fun infact i use futhark to mark my drinking cup at work

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
There is a great resource available at [link removed] ... it goes into in-depth analysis of each symbol, offering rune meanings and other insights. It's not too esoteric, so it's great for beginners, but amazing for experts too.

Hope to see you there,

~~~~~~~~~~~

www.abovetopsecret.com...
4) Advertising: You will not advertise or promote other ... websites on ATS within posts...

[edit on 10-4-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

new topics

top topics

join