It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USDA Says It's None of the Public's Business Who Ate Recalled Meat

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

USDA Says It's None of the Public's Business Who Ate Recalled Meat

www.commondreams.org

At least 10,000 food distributors sold recalled meat from the shuttered Hallmark slaughterhouse in Chino, CA including ConAgra, General Foods, Nestle and H.J. Heinz and it could still be on store shelves.

But Richard Raymond, USDA undersecretary for food safety, told an incredulous House Appropriation’s agriculture panel this week the information is “proprietary” and would not be released.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
ww2.cdph.ca.gov
www.ocregister.com
www.latimes.com
www.usatoday.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Video of workers abusing cows raises food safety questions
Middle Class May Be Subject To Food Rations, Warns UN

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Well, big surprise here, eh?

Maybe they should just come clean and rename Richard Raymond's job title to "USDA undersecretary for protection of corporate profiteering at the expense of the consumer."

Here's a link to the 126 page -and growing- list of companies in California who purchased beef from the Chino plant.

Hallmark / Westland Meat Recall - Retail Distribution List (pdf)

Note how the companies listed in the above link, for the most part, are not huge multi-national corporations, in fact, it seems many are just the local burger joints and markets.

This situation is sickening, on so many levels.

www.commondreams.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Say what!? This is outrageous. I have actually been waiting to hear what other manufacturers and distributors used this slaughter house. I guess the answer is more companies than not or they wouldn't be trying to hide it. Has anyone tested those downer cows? Before I was just concerned - now I'm worried.

The only processed meat our family uses is lunch meat turkey and frozen lasagna...wondering about the lasagna. Mine is better, but it takes two or three hours to make and four year olds don't know the difference.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Well this just another show of power by corporate America, after all they are afraid of the law sues that this information will bring.

Incredible when the government is not longer for the people but rather spit of the same people that they were swore to serve.

What a shame and joke our political system has become.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Let's play "Logical Extremes!"

If its none of our business who eats the bad meat that the corporations have been allowed to push on an unsuspecting public, because they've been essentially granted to the protection of the USDA, then...

I think we should just start stripping the muscles off the unclaimed human dead, grounding it up, and using it as substitute for whichever of the corporations are in short supply.

"Hey, what do you think it's in this, Jack?"

"Eh, we can never know, Bill. The USDA's thinks it's none of our business."

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
McKennalite

Now that is a possibility that was presented in an old religious motivated movie from back in the 70s, for some reason your post brought back the memories of this particular movie, in which the mark of the beast was tattoo on peoples and without the mark you could not eat but what the people didn't know is that the government was feeding them the death.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Welcome to the planned and executing NWO dystopia, where wrong is right, and:

"War is Peace"

"Freedom is Slavery"

"Ignorance is Strength."

The government is here to protect, not the governed, but the ungoverned; those entities who are "above the law."

Way past time to grow your own and go vegan.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Oh, that sounds like a real uplifter of a movie, marg. Haha. I was also playing a bit on soylent green, because you know... soylent green is people.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Do you make your own noodles? Why does it take so long? I buy whole wheat noodles that are the kind you don't have to cook first. I used to get the frozen, but I've sworn off commercial meat and the price is sooo much less to make it fresh. Not to mention it doesn't have all the preservatives the commercial stuff has.

Another thing I do now is make two batches at once, and freeze one, then when you're ready for more, just defrost and heat

ps- I LOVE your avatar!

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
There's a rather easy solution to this, and I'm rather disgusted Americans aren't doing it...

Just rally small groups of picketers to stand outside grocery stores, butchers, etc... and let the public know.

The truth would be enough to put almost all shoppers off from buying beef, and hence, the beef industry would come crashing down on the USDA demanding answers as to why they didn't tell the public!

I mean... that is what I'd expect from concerned consumers.

Has the US Citizens become so complacent toward their lives that they can't even be bothered to care about which meal is potentially POISON?

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Actually due to health related issues (with a cholesterol level that doesn't want to go down even when I am not in anyway over weight and do exercises often) I have to change my diet completely.

I am now eating less or none meat, no refined flours and had eliminated sugar.

Only sprouted bread for me, I refuse to take any medication for cholesterol, as usual my husband is the one that has lost most of the weight.

[edit on 9-3-2008 by marg6043]

MBF

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
What do you want to bet that some of the usda inspectors were caught taking money under the table. This happens. It doesn't matter if the meat is good or bad, some of the inspectors want money under the table.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MBF

That is a big possibility that money is transfered to keep mouths, ears and eyes shut, after all we are a profit ridden nation and profit margins has to be kept at all cost even over the health and well beings of citizens.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I brought my cholesterol down 80 points without medication, although I did start taking cinnamon capsules and flax oil. NO white flour or rice. Bake my own multirain bread. Pretty cheap considering I would've been on statins for the rest of my life (with loads of side effects).

The doctor was astounded.

Oh, and I quit eating commercial meat!

MBF

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Years ago, we raised hogs and did a good job of it. Lots of people would want to by them from us to have slaughtered. We would take them to a local slaughterhouse near us. Most of the time we would carry 5-10. After a while they would all be condemned and we knew that there was nothing wrong with the meat. We carried a load one time and put some in our name and the rest in the name of the people that was buying them. The ones in our name was condemned and the rest was ok and they were all from the same pen. After we started putting the hogs in the names of the buyers, we stopped having the problem. The inspector had worked under my father at a local factory a few years before.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Here's an update on the story:

WASHINGTON — The largest meat recall in U.S. history was bound to reverberate throughout the food-manufacturing world. So far, four major food manufacturers — ConAgra, General Mills, Heinz and Nestlé — have acknowledged that meat involved in the 143 million-pound recall, announced Feb. 17, was used in some of their products.

So why haven't those products been recalled?

They have been — very quietly.

Nestlé, General Mills, Heinz and ConAgra each acknowledged to news organizations that they have recalled products containing beef from the meatpacking company Hallmark/Westland.

Those products include two versions of Nestlé's Hot Pocket sandwiches, Heinz's Boston Market lasagna with meat sauce, General Mills' Progresso Italian Wedding Soup and a variety of meat products from ConAgra, ranging from Slim Jim snacks to Hunt's Manwich Original Sloppy Joe Sauce.

The companies stressed that the use of Hallmark/Westland meat was limited, and that they notified retailers and told them to pull those products.

But none had taken the usual step of notifying consumers through news releases and warnings on Web sites.

Why the secrecy? In part because the recall is indirect; the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) urged Hallmark/Westland to contact food producers that use its meat and urge them to pull their products. But the USDA did not contact food producers.

The food manufacturers said they are under no obligation to notify consumers.
Source | The Seattle Times | What they didn't tell you about recent meat recall

Anyone eating that kind of crap should be warned, but they should have already known that type of "food," from those types of companies, wasn't healthy to begin with.

No one should be under any illusions that the big corporate entities involved have any interest in anything other than protecting their bottom line.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I wanted to buy some frozen lasanga this week, but it seems......it's was all recalled....although they neglected to take some of it out of the freezer...so, well, I'll live without it for awhile, just in case.

this is halarious, ya know.....
they have all this questionable beef out there, and we don't even have the right to attempt to make sure it's not in our freezer....but then.....they are so concerned about the little smoke from the ends of people's cigarettes are going to cause massive deaths that they will try to force a boss who is a smoker to remove all the smokers from the little smoking break room he has way down in the basement...under the parking lot....in a place that no one but smokers has any reason to be.....and try to force resturants to judge weather you are obese or not, and refuse to serve you if they think you are.
sounds a little suspicious to me!!
kind of like....we have the right to kill you for a profit, but well, we need your taxmoney to pay off this massive debt that we've accumulated....so no, we're gonna have to do something about all those bad habits you have!!
when in fact, there's just as much possibility that you are getting sick from something that they know is in the food, or water, or air, or other consumer products...but, well, there's big profit to be made by dumping your waste into the consumer products instead of disposing of it according to epa's guidelines!! the cigarettes, the idea that people are eating themselves to death are just the grand ole scapegoats!! you could take all the cigarettes away tomorrow and they would just have to find another scapegoat to use as an excuse, then another, and another.....but well....there's just too much profit to be lost to actually blow the cover off of these companies that are knowingly selling us products that pose a health risk to the consumer.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MBF

A good example of for who this nation interest works for, thanks for the experience.

Now I am glad that I do not eat any of the crap on that report goosdawgand hope that seriously health conscious people either.

For some reason I decided to give up meat when the clone issue came to light so I will still with poultry and fish, unless the poultry is also going to be cloned.

[edit on 15-3-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Well they were talking about cloning poultry back in 2001:

AviGenics and Origen intend to create cloned poultry, which they believe will lead to new biopharmaceutical production methods and new poultry breeding strategies. Geron will receive equity in both companies as part of the total consideration and will share in future revenues from products under the licenses.

Access to Geron's patent rights will enable AviGenics' strategy to be the first company to clone a bird. "Our goal is to apply nuclear transfer technology to our chicken-based transgenic, biopharmaceutical production platform," remarks Carl E. Marhaver, AviGenics' president and CEO. "We want to offer a fast, efficient, and safe platform to the numerous companies currently looking to manufacture therapeutic antibodies and other biopharmaceuticals."

AviGenics plans to also use the cloning technology to improve poultry breeding stock used throughout the broiler and egg-layer industries. Chickens with desirable traits, such as resistance to Salmonella, can be propagated via cloning.
Source | bnet | AG-BIOTECH: Chickens to Be Cloned

Grow your own and eat it raw!

Edit to add:

Veggies, that is!!

[edit on 15-3-2008 by goosdawg]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

Well I guess that vegan I will become, now tell me is fish are to be cloned also.

I am not joking when I said that I am completely getting off of the meat and If I have to give away the poultry I will.

I am in a stage on my life and my husband also that health is our most and biggest concern and we already enjoyed all the food we wanted too, so change is unavoidable and we can live with it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join