It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by chromatico
reply to post by neformore
Pfft. Like there isn't a black market or a way to get stuff on the Continent.
Originally posted by neformore
When that was done in 1977? Really?
Maybe today, but not 30 years ago in the UK. Nope.
Originally posted by Odessy
lol, JUST like when the alien disrupted Tom Cruise!
lol but I dunno,
Its pretty old, so that make sit that much more impressive...
I tell you something though, if they are really that worried about us as a race not moving in the right direction, they might as well have a direct intervention instead of silly radio frequencies.
For analog stations it is relatively easy to break into the transmission network. All that is needed is to determine the frequency used in the studio-to-transmitter link, then generate a signal at the same frequency from a position near the transmitter site. The input stage of a cheap video sender can produce the right kind of signal. A low-power microwave signal generator or a home-made equivalent from easily available components provides the signal (which is pointed at the receiving dish antenna).
Originally posted by dave420
So analogue broadcasting equipment didn't exist in the UK in the 1970s? Because that's what it would take for no-one to get their hands on it should they want to.
Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
Presuming that these were real aliens (and I persoanlly do NOT presume that), they obviously wanted their presence to be known and their important message to be heard, or they wouldn't have bothered hijacking the TV signal...but then why did they only hijack the ITN signal and then only for a few minutes? If their message was so impotatnt, don't you think they would have presented themselves to the whole world instead of just a few ITN viewers in Southern Britain? Why not BBC 1? Why not the Beijing News and the CBS evening news (where I would presume the voice would speak Chinese and American English respectively, rather than the English accent that it spoke with on ITN.)
As it was, less than 0.01% of the world's population heard this "important message" with the other 99.99% totally oblivious. It just does make any sense.
...Oh well, at least the people of Southern Britain who heard the ITN telecast have been living in peace and harmony for the past 30 years, and becuase of that they must have helped the world avert whatever disaster vrillon was talking about.