It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2008: The year of Global Food Crisis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   

2008: The year of Global Food Crisis

www.sundayherald.com

Millions more of the world's most vulnerable people are facing starvation as food shortages loom and crop prices spiral ever upwards.

And for the first time in history, say experts, the impact is spreading from the developing to the developed world.

More than 73 million people in 78 countries that depend on food handouts from the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) are facing reduced rations this year. The increasing scarcity of food is the biggest crisis looming for the world'', according to WFP officials.

At the same time, the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation has warned that rising prices have triggered a food crisis in 36 countries, all of which will need extra help. The threat of malnutrition is the world's forgotten problem'', says the World Bank as it demands urgent action.

The bank points out that global food prices have risen by 75% since 2000, while wheat prices have increased by 200%. The cost of other staples such as rice and soya bean have also hit record highs, while corn is at its most expensive in 12 years.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-3-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
This is becoming more and more serious by the day. The costs of grain-related items and dairy in my area has skyrocketed, and with inflation spinning out of control, this has dire implications...I just bought a couple of 50lb bags of rice, and am starting up my garden of veggies...I suggest everyone do the same.

www.sundayherald.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-3-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Due to booming economies in China and India, 3 billion people need food and their diet is now becoming much more Western because they can now afford to eat a better diet. The implications for poor nations are a matter of life and death however.

But the global food crisis highlights one significant problem. There are too many people in the world and we are starting to see infrastructure struggling with the demand. Oil, food, water are among a few and more resources will become finite soon. Sadly, we do not live in a perfect world and 6 billion people are struggling to share basic resources.

You've probably heard the UN has to cut its food relief because of the increase of prices. Basically, if a famine breaks out then the people will die. It is a tragic reflection on society when we cannot feed the poor

Governments need to take tough actions. Either we let the UN equally share out food, which will require a world government [which isn't going to happen] or governments introduce population control.

It is a decision that needs to be made very soon.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I blame it on our stupid oil quandaries . . . but even more so on stupid bio-fuel BS (Ethanol, etc.). More wheat growers are going to corn because they see the profit. Less wheat=higher price for almost everything wheat or bovine related.

[edit on 9/3/2008 by xxpigxx]

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Hmm... I just told my parents about this. It seems really odd though, they acted like they already know (they patirots and never believe the gov would do anything bad). They're preparing, we have livestock and will soon be growing a garden. I don't know how my ani-conspiracy theorist parents know about what's about to happen though.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Yes too many rats in the cage, but mother nature has a way of sorting it all out. Maybe people will now take notice and realise that they cannot do what they like without thinking of the consequences of their actions. We have everything from people driving gas gusslers to large families, there is a price to pay and if we dont wise up we will all be paying it.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I think my parents may have inside info on all this, I have an uncle who does IT for the gov, an uncle who used to do crytography for the pentagon, an uncle and aunt that worked on topsecret aircraft and a bunch of Masons. Maybe one of my family members in the "higher up's" over heard something and told my parents, seeing how we just recently got some livestock and are starting a farm (we have a ton of land up here in Missouri too).

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyjackblack

It always amazes me that the younger generations (mine included at the time) think their parents are uninformed, just because we get our information through diferent channels than they do.

Any way on topic: In my opinion it’s not worth taking land used for food production and using the crops to run our vehicles. What we need to find is a way to generate energy without Burning anything.
Rather than alternative fuels we need an alternative process, electricity works but the question is how the electricity is generated. Wind farms are becoming popular, but the space required limits it’s practicality to just a few areas that have a sustained breeze of 14 knots (min.). Solar energy is good but again it takes a lot of collectors and battery storage, and batteries can be problematical also.
Nuclear power has its own problems i.e. disposal.
A combination of solar and wind generation might work great for the individual building and reactivation of some of the smaller city dams could help small areas but the power companies throw a fit anytime someone wants to go off their grid (a school in the Travers City area of Michigan put up 3 windmills to collect energy and another in the Detroit area has been trying to do the same, the power companies have been fighting them and throwing up any roadblocks they can). Also for some reason, electric autos are unacceptable to most Americans.

Any one else care to comment? I am not by any means an expert and am willing to change my opinion given good reason.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by RedmoonMWC

Lol, I actually know a way of doing that. Imagine a device that powers it's self and generates enough electricity to power three houses all the time. It's coming, but the big electricity companies will kill for it.

top topics

join