It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There are no Aliens visiting this Earth

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Carl Sagan was a great man indeed. However the fact that we've been looking for decades and still not found a single shred of scientific evidence puts a dampener on the "Have aliens come to earth?" question.

The first question to ask is "do aliens exist"? As without answering that question, further questions about their preferred diet or vacation destinations is clearly an exercise in ass-delving of the highest quality, as as discussions go, it's got to be the most pointless, baseless dialogue ever.

It seems likely aliens exist, and I personally would love to know for sure. It seems highly unlikely they've visited Earth, though, though I'm always open to new evidence.

I used to believe in aliens for certain when I was a kid, then I realised being irrational and running through life like a supermarket, throwing things I really wanted to believe into my "Shopping Cart of Absolute Fact" was a truly ridiculous waste of a brain. Since then I've always demanded evidence before categorically believing something to be true, and even then I'm prepared to make a complete about-face if new evidence is provided. Sticking my fingers in my ears and going "lalalalalal I can't hear you lalalala I love aliens" doesn't help anyone.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enthralled Fan
And you know something the rest of us don't? It appears you have a belief that aliens exist. Where is your proof or evidence?

There are over 100billion stars in the Milky Way alone.

So far astronomers reckon they ihave spotted over 100,000 galaxies in addition to our own, and that figure is more likley to be in the millions as the deep field images taken by Hubble are analysed.

Thats an awful lot of space, an awful lot of potential planets.

Its kind of arrogant to assume that with all that out there, theres only us here, don't you think?

I am open minded about the subject. I referred to three cases above that I think are very interesting food for thought, and they were off the top of my head.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by dave420
Carl Sagan was a great man indeed. However the fact that we've been looking for decades and still not found a single shred of scientific evidence puts a dampener on the "Have aliens come to earth?" question.

We're looking for a bone needle in a haystack after making an assumption that someone has put it there.

Why do I say that? Because we assumed where to look, at what wavelengths to look, and presumed that aliens would think like we do, and operate science as we do....

Think about it
Would a species that relies on telepathy, or light stimulus, or touch stimulus have any need for radio as we use it?

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Absence of Evidence
is not Evidence of Absence...

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I have thought about it. Until we get any evidence to suggest they actually exist, then and only then should we engage in discussions on whether they've been here, what their favourite Kenny G album is, and if they prefer Bruce Willis to Arnie. Doing so before we have established whether they exist is like a doctor prescribing drugs for a disease yet to be discovered - it might be spot-on, but logic dictates it's far too soon to be doing so.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Enthralled Fan wrote
Why can't things just be what they are, without there having to be an ulterior motive to it?

Which is? How are things?

What's ulterior motives got to do with the secrets of life or the bigger picture. Not everyone is out to con you or anyone else. Most people are simply trying to understand the universe around them, especially those questions where science has yet to come up with an answer, or even a theory.

Fundamental questions

There is still hope that science might come up with answers to the big questions. "Of all the ways of looking for meaning, science has answered the most questions so far," Hanlon continues.

"It has triumphed at explaining many things. However, it hasn't provided answers to the most fundamental questions like why we are here, what is the universe for. But just because it hasn't yet, doesn't mean it can't or won't."

Having said that, it is possible that questions of meaning are simply of a different sort to questions of matter, the physical world in which science has proven so powerful. If so, asking why there is something rather than nothing with mathematics might make no more sense than asking whether a triangle is happy or whether the rocks in the asteroid belt are friends.

Similarly, cosmologists like Stephen Hawking once thought physics would come to know the mind of God in a "theory of everything". He now doubts that is possible.

"Though we haven't run up against a class of questions that we couldn't answer yet," adds Hanlon. With fiendishly difficult phenomena, like consciousness, scientists have yet to exhaust all their theories.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Yes, and I am hearing Carl Sagan in my head right now, saying "billions, and billions" in his own style, in regards to stars.

However, the OP started this thread with the Title of "There are no Aliens visiting this Earth."

I don't disagree that there is more out in the universe in the way of life.

Where is the proof or evidence they are visiting us?

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by kindred

Kindred, thanks for putting that up. It was my point. Things might not always be what the seem.

However, some person who makes up a fantastical tale with nothing to back it up, is not proof of anything.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01

Someone mentioned 'Psuedoskeptics'. Now those are like Peter Byrne. They wear suede shoes, hushpuppies (hence the root word 'suedo') and cravats and Safari leisure suits and entice investors to part with their money funding his trips into the jungles of Tibet.

LOL, that was a good one

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absense.

In the same vein that you want to claim there are no aliens visiting earth, you most certainly cannot prove that there aren't.

Yeah, and the same guy said "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Have you seen any extraordinary evidence. Maybe that's a bad question. Let me rephrase it: Have you seen any extraordinary evidence that can undergo a rigourous peer reviewed investigation and survive all forms of scrutiny?

At a certain point, one has to make a realistic qualification where it can be assumed for practical purposes that there exists a high degree of probability that if aliens had visited earth then there would be some type of evidence that could be discovered. There has not been anything concrete - mostly only hoaxes, fake video, speculation (to include UFOs being of alien origin) - so it is perfectly reasonable that the absense of evidence - even though looked for - does in fact provide a strong indication of aliens not visiting earth.

A more realistic situation:

The absense of evidence of a purported dead child's remains at the bottom of a lake - even though searched for - does in fact provide a strong indication that there is not a body on the bottom of the lake.

Of course, the body could have been invisible, stolen by the CIA, covered up by the government, and teleported out by aliens, but seriously, come on.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absense" is not as wise or as practical as you want it to be. It must be the conspiracy worlds version of "It's only a coincidence" !
I see more than a few people have already posted it!

You guys aren't even using it in the proper context. Carl Sagan came up with that as a way to express the idea of the possiblity of alien life in a time when the rest of the world generally did not believe in the possiblity of life out there.

You are misattributing his intentions, as he himself contended that there was no evidence evidence that aliens had visited earth and believed the chances of aliens ever visiting earth were virtually zero. He still believed it was possible, but he was able to distinguish between his beliefs and reality and accepted that it was highly improbable.

Carl Sagan is rolling in his grave.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.

I think he had a point there

Haha. You probably know Mr. Sagan was a self professed recreational marijuana user! I bet he came up with that little zinger while he was high.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Ree

Well played, sir. Well played.

Sagan would definitely not be one of the "ooh ooooh! aliens at area 51 FTW! reptilians ZOMG!!!11eleventy" crowd we see here, but someone trying to get to the bottom of things. Not that he'd be on here anyway, he was far too busy going to lavish parties thrown by his alien overseers the research library.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by easynow
reply to post by Breadfan

...until someone has a verified alien body to put on display for the world to see ...the only logical conclusion for the scientific community and the general public is to stay open to the possibility and continue with the thought that they might be visiting earth.

I am pretty sure that if aliens exist and are visiting our planet, they wouldnt leave any dead bodies behind, just like the military wouldnt leave any dead soldiers behind enemy lines.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Originally posted by holyTerror

I am pretty sure that if aliens exist and are visiting our planet, they wouldnt leave any dead bodies behind, just like the military wouldnt leave any dead soldiers behind enemy lines.

Hummmm, oh really? So my neighbor who hung out POW MIA flags every day along side old glory, had it all wrong then, huh? All the people who died in every war are accounted for?

Shhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!

[edit on 10-3-2008 by Enthralled Fan]

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

We are talking about something that many on this site say they are immortal and can be killed just like we can. So why can't we see them? If aliens existed, like people assume at Area 51, then if they have one, how did they get it. I mean, don't you think the Alien buddies would come back and consider that an act of war holding on theirs?

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I think the whole point of this thread is that you can't lose the argument. Your being unreasonable. Your basically saying show me an Alien and completely ignoring all the other evidence, such as eye witness testimonies, incidents like Rendlesham forest, the Vicky Landrum incident and the Belgium sightings which all are credible.

THE BENTWATERS RENDLESHAM FOREST INCIDENT
www.ufos-aliens.co.uk...

The Piney Woods Incident, Cash-Landrum
www.ufocasebook.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.cufon.org... Interview

1989-The Belgium UFO Wave

Beyond Our Technology: The F-16 pilot knew that he was chasing something that had speed and maneuverability far beyond the capabilities of his jet. At one point, radar returns showed that the UFO had dropped from 10,000 to 500 feet altitude in 5 seconds, an unbelievable move. The sightings of the giant triangles continued for months, being witnessed over and over again. They often flew low enough to easily be seen with the naked eye.

Classic Status: The Belgium wave has obtained classic status in UFO lore. With over 1,000 witnesses, confirmed radar sightings, plane radar lock-ins, and military confirmations, the fact that an unknown craft moved across the country of Belgium cannot be denied. The case is also important for its unique information sharing. Civilian and military officials were forthcoming with the reports, and set a model for others to follow in their pursuit to uncover the mystery behind the UFO enigma.

ufos.about.com...
en.wikipedia.org...(UFO)
www.youtube.com... video footage

If this technology belongs to some super power, then the question is what are they using it for. Even the best planes of today cannot maneuver like one of those triangles. Surely that's a conspiracy in itself?

Don't know why I bothered posting the above articles, as I already know what you diehard sceptics are going to say.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

Originally posted by Enthralled Fan
And you know something the rest of us don't? It appears you have a belief that aliens exist. Where is your proof or evidence?

There are over 100billion stars in the Milky Way alone.

So far astronomers reckon they ihave spotted over 100,000 galaxies in addition to our own, and that figure is more likley to be in the millions as the deep field images taken by Hubble are analysed.

Thats an awful lot of space, an awful lot of potential planets.

Its kind of arrogant to assume that with all that out there, theres only us here, don't you think?

I am open minded about the subject. I referred to three cases above that I think are very interesting food for thought, and they were off the top of my head.

As we both have stated, we don't deny other beings in other places. We just don't believe they come to Earth.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by holyTerror

Yeah, well, the militaries leave parts of dead soldiers behind enemy lines, including hair, limbs, skin, eyes, kneecaps, and other biological evidence. You think they scoop up all the remains when a soldier is disintegrated by an RPG or blown to bits by a grenade? I won't go into POW camps and all the other circumstances. That is a very general statement you made. It almost seems like an ideal statement. That's kind of odd, isn't it?

I take it you don't subscribe to the Roswell crash. That's good. It's fun to think about, but not to believe in base other belief systems off of.

dave420:

Well played, sir. Well played.

Thank you. Thanku very much.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by kindred

Exactly how are these events you listed credible if they have no proof or evidence indicating aliens visited us?

They are stories. Good ones at that, but the offer no definative proof or evidence of aliens.

I am not saying nothing happened, it's just that there is no proof that what happened was caused by extra terrestrials.

If you can show me otherwise, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
This site is for both sides of the fence, and I agree with the OP. There has been zero, not one, not a single shred of photographic or video proof that aliens exist anywhere, not on earth, not in space, not in the universe, nowhere at all. If you have real proof, show it, otherwise all you have is a bunch of either fuzzy, fake, low quality, fabricated, or otherwise videos and pictures that don't mean anything. Seriously, with this many people in the world with this many still and video cameras, if they were here we would have at least 1 single piece of evidence, and we don't. No one has it, and those shuttle videos don't show anything that anyone can prove are alien in nature.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
This is one of the best pieces of "proof" that aliens are around us:

"Alien Skull -by Lloyd Pye The Keeper of The Skull"

This skull should be taken very seriously. It has been Carbon Dated and has been found to be over 900 years old. It is a skull like nothing we have ever found before -(say researchers). The eye sockets are larger and less deep then are own, the alien skull has no nostril holes, the bone is much thicker than are's yet weighs half of what a human skull would way. Unfortunately they are having a hard time extracting the DNA to get a sample to find out if it is actually human, alien, or a human-alien hybrid.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join