It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House of Augustus Opens to Public

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Almost 50 years ago, archaeologists searching for the ruined house of Augustus found a tiny clue buried deep in 2,000 years' worth of rubble overlooking the Forum in Rome.

On Sunday following decades of painstaking restoration, the frescoes in vivid shades of blue, red and ochre went on public show for the first time since they were painted in about 30BC.

You can now tour the palatial home of Emperor Augustus Caesar. Some nice pics of the wall frescoes offer a rare glimpse into the home life of Rome's first Emperor.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
What a nice find!

The Dallas Museum of Art has the "From the Ashes of Vesuvius" exhibition currently residing in its galleries. My daughter and I went to go see it -- they had carefully repositioned things in the gallery to give a "feel" of what it might have been like to be in some of the rooms.
dallasmuseumofart.org...

You could certainly see a difference in the artists' abilities in the statues and frescoes. But it was fascinating; we wanted to stay much longer!

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
man i would love to go see the house of agustus that would be amazing

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I wonder what Agustus would think of tourists from the future prancing through his palace like they owned the place? :p

new topics

top topics

join