It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recyling/craft ideas needed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Ok, march break is around the corner and I have 7-8 kids for the whole week. I've been replenishing my craft supplies and adding different crafty websites to my favourites list to keep us all busy.

I generally try to use as much of my recycling items as I can in each craft to not only put it to better use, but teach the kids how to reuse simple items. One item I have kept for several months now is my empty liquid laundry soap bottles. I have enough saved up that each child (and myself) can make something crafty out of it. The problem is I have scoured the internet to find ideas and so far nothing
I have read about making them into ball scoops, clothespeg holders and flower planters, but none of those appeal to me...and probably not to the kids either!

Anyone have any suggestions?! I figure this is the most creative and imaginative group of people out there, so you'd be the best to ask!

Here's a picture of the type of bottles I have to give you an idea

These are not the big huge bottles, but I believe the smallest ones you can buy. Approx 9.5" high by 6.5" wide (including the handle).

Thanks in advance for any clever crafty ideas!!

Michelle

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Found a game

www.greenguardian.com...

and a toddler tool box

www.rubymoms.com...

[edit on 9-3-2008 by asala]

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
You could cut holes in the main part..fill with bird seed and use the handle to tie a string to (strong one) and hang from a tree branch. The kids enjoy watching the birds when they come to eat. I have done this with my kids years ago.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Asala and AccessDenied,

Thanks for your great ideas! I'm thinking I may go with the bird feeder idea as the bottles are a bit small for the ball-game and toolbox(although both great ideas). Should I do anything special to the bottles to prepare them...in terms of not poisoning the poor birds with leftover laundry soap? I have washed them very thoroughly but not sure if I should do something else to them?

Thanks again guys

Michelle

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Michelle129

Hey Michelle, as long as they are washed out really well they are fine to use.

It also helps if you poke a small hole in the bottle just underneath where you made the opening for the bird seed and poke a stick in there for the birds to perch on.

Have fun!

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Hi! Just thought I'd add a few sketchy ideas. I'm no craft maven BUT why not make the craft projects a treasure hunt or some sort of special 'gathering 'o the goods'?

Project ideas:

The bird feeder...excellent idea! Love it! Tell them about the Spring BirdSong...why the birds chirp ALL day in spring....(something in the birds chirp/song signals the plants to grow, trees to leaf and flowers to bloom

A fairy garden (or city) made of treasures found in nature?
Find fun, entertaining fairy tales and share them as the kids hunt and gather.

Upcycling is the coolest...have the most fun!

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Michelle129
Should I do anything special to the bottles to prepare them...
Michelle

Hay Michelle,
I would never have come up with the ideas, but I do know how to get rid of any soap residue. Vinigar. It binds soap, is great for rinsing your dishes too, not in bulk though.
Just get a gallon of cheep vinigar and rinse away, it is completely non toxic, rinse with a little water.
Sounds like a fun week.
WIS

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Rag rugs out of recyclable plastic bags. I make them and then use them until they fall apart.

I crochet them. They work for a time, and then just fall apart, even after having been hosed off a few times.

I crochet a lot, and don't always use yarn. I use thing strips of old denim jeans, and other materials to make rugs out of.

I see something useful out of anything tossed away.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
WalkInSilence...thanks for the vinegar tip! I will definitely try that to make sure the jugs are rinsed well!

Enthralled Fan...what an interesting concept! I haven't crocheted in quite a while, but do you use the same technique with the plastic bags and other items?

Moonvibe, I love your idea of extending the craft into stories and a treasure hunt! Sometimes I have such high hopes for craft projects, and figure the kids will take at least 2 hrs to complete..and the kids whip them up in 1/2 hour and I'm left with 7.5 hours to fill! I have a wide range of kids to entertain (oldest 14, youngest 2), so I can get the older ones to help out with the hiding of the items and the stories to keep them entertained. I agree that upcycling is the best. We do soooo many crafts and projects here each day that I'd break the bank if I had to buy every last item. And, the less recycling boxes I have to take to the curb every week!

I run a home daycare, but am licensed and contracted by an agency. The agency is running an area-wide art contest up until the end of April to coincide with Earth Day. The concept is for the kids to create a work of art using ONLY recycled items. (glue, tape, paint allowed but nothing else). I've decided to go with one big craft all the kids can contribute to rather than one small craft each. With such a wide range of ages it is difficult to come up with a single craft that all ages can participate in and keep them occupied. We brainstormed this afternoon and have decided to make an entire city (city block really) out of our "stuff". The kids are super excited and actually I am too! We have a lot of ideas and we're hoping to take the win! LOL

Thanks again guys

Michelle

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Michelle, if you are not familiar with this book, it is available on Amazon.com or order through any bookstore. It is where I got every thrifty recycling Idea I know of and made me a REAL cheapskate. It is the best series of books ever and I highly recommend getting all three.

www.thesimpledollar.com...

Ever hear of Dryer lint paper mache? You will.
How about edible play doh?
Remember sock puppets?
Beads made from glue and white bread or rolled up magazine pictures?
Kids today are far to 'Toys R US and XBox.
I bet your little group would enjoy some hands on stuff.
Good luck Michelle.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

That book series looks to be right down my alley! I'm always looking for ways to cut our budget..outside of just craft time. I will definitely look into them more.

All of the daycare providers get a huge book with great craft ideas using household or recycled items. Some of the ones you mentioned like the edible playdough, sock puppets are in there and we've done them. But after doing this for some time the ideas are getting old and need to be refreshed and updated! 2 of the kids out of the 5 have been with me since I started so they're starting to complain about the craft "re-runs" LOL. I will look into those books some more and thanks again for another tip

Michelle

top topics

join