It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i spy with my little fly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I Wasn’t sure if to post this or not, but I found it interesting. How many times have you wished you could be a fly on the wall? Well looks like the government have beaten us to it. Get your fly swots out.

news.sky.com...

Scientists have successfully carried out experiments that enable them to control animals and insects.

Fly-on-the-wallNow international governments are developing and refining the science to use it to their advantage.

It might all sound like something out of a James Bond film, but the proverbial fly-on-the-wall could become the latest weapon in international espionage and a rat down a hole could take on a different meaning.

It works like this. Scientists in America have been inserting micro-probes into beetle pupa days before it hatches.

The implants, which are ultra-light and positioned near the wings and brain, then naturally integrate themselves in the body as the beetle grows and develops.

Researchers have then been able to control their movement and pre-programme their flight path.

David Cohen from The New Scientist who published an article on this research said, "The idea is to be able to take control of the flight of an insect's movement so it could be guided to a destination of their choosing."

Advertisement

The next step for the scientists is to implant recording devices so the insects can feed back sound or images to a remote computer. The insects could then, in theory be used to spy on people or objects, and would be virtually undetectable.

And according to David Cohen, that next step isn't far off. "It's not beyond the realms of possibility that putting a camera on an insect could be achieved within a year."

The research has been led by the military, and it's thought they'll want to push ahead with the development.

But the science behind this can, and in some cases is, being used for other purposes. It's understood that scientists in Israel have been carrying out similar experiments, but using rats. The idea being, that, with a camera attached, they could be used as a search and rescue tool, looking for missing people in explosions or earthquakes.

The concept of using insect-like devices as spying weapons isn't a new one, but its now widely believed that they don't make a suitable substitute for the real thing. Should the final stages of development be successful, it would, in theory, mean that any insect, spider or small animal could be modified.

So the next time a fly lands on your window sill, it could be watching you.

Mod edit: to add ex tags

[edit on 3/10/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
ROFLMAO. I love it. If the technology ever goes public I will be in line to get my flies and rats.

Can you imagine the many uses for these little critters? Plant one under the seat of your child's car, in your husbands office, your neighbors house and the list goes on.

My dad held various political offices as I was growing up and I learned at a young age that there was an ear somewhere so be oh so careful to not be heard if plotting.

Hmmm maybe the pest control companies would be good stock to invest in. Puts a whole new meaning on insect control doesn't it?

Dizzie

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
That is awesome.

I want one . . .

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I do have one it’s called the next-door neighbour. All jokes aside the fact that the government will use it is one worry ,but lest go one step further. If they can do this to such a small thing as a fly what’s to stop them doing it to embryo ? Weather the embryo is in a lab with hundreds of others, or in an unsuspecting mother to- be. That way they would have control over humans before their even born. May be I should of put this in the N.W.O.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Judge; “Is the government prepared to call their next witness?”

Crummy government lawyer: “We are your honor” “The Despotic state calls Leo The Fly to the stand”

Bailiff: “Uh, raise one of your legs please.”

(Leo The Fly raises a leg)

Bailiff: “Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth”

(Leo The Fly just sits there)

I know, I know, the government will use cameras and recorders to get what they need. Flies will not be testifying for the government. But that’s not to say that many insects aren’t involved in government work as we speak. I have seen a lot of maggots and worms in government work for many years now. Why should flies and rats be any different?

(Swats fly) Whack! Gotcha! (Meanwhile, in a laboratory far off in a hidden office building somewhere, a scientist says, “Dangit, that’s the third spy fly we’ve lost this week.”

Is it “Spy vs Spy”? Or is it “Fly vs Fly” only time will tell…

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Ok, here is my idea..

Find out what signals they use to control the flys. Create a "bug zapper" that has a transmitter on it that will constantly spam signals that make the flys crash into it.

Imagine that. A 100% effective bug zapper that takes over the minds of insects, and tells them to commit suicide.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
i knew it! This is a cover up for the microscopic helicopters! j/k

found here:zapatopi.net...

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by iammonkey

It works like this. Scientists in America have been inserting micro-probes into beetle pupa days before it hatches.

The implants, which are ultra-light and positioned near the wings and brain, then naturally integrate themselves in the body as the beetle grows and develops.

I find that very very unfeesible, implants naturally integrate.. They neurosystem is so complex in insects that we cannot manufacturer something that will do the above claim. I'd like to see a sceintist show us the workings of a flys neurostructure as its full grown, muchless when its in its developing stages.

Looking around on the subject, we know so little about the brain o fthe fly that I doubt that sceintist have anything more then a hypothosis or action plan. The atricle says they already plant them in the pupa.. I dont see they integrating with the developing cells to control them.. just doesnt work that way

External Source

Taghert estimates that the fly brain contains several hundred different subtypes of nerve cells and guesses that the human brain may contain thousands.

"Estimates, guesses".. not enough for me!

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Sorry! Wrong thread!

[edit on 11-3-2008 by Clearskies]

top topics

join