It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: New Vaccine Can Stop Lung Cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
After decades of increasing death's caused by smoking related lung cancer, it appears that a vaccine has shown considerable promise in slowing, and in some cases eliminating, the faulty cells. Lung cancer has long been known to be a painful and devastating disease. While the smoking industry is reeling from lawsuits, corporate image issue's, and public disdain, years of use prior will have many smoker's inevitably facing cancer as they age.

AP News
Three patients injected with the vaccine, GVAX, had no recurrence of lung cancer for more than three years afterward, according to the study of 43 people with the most common form of the disease, non-small cell lung cancer.
Non-small cell lung cancer is the nation's leading cause of cancer death, killing more than 150,000 people each year. The disease is related to smoking and is often difficult to treat. Treatment usually involves removal of the tumor, chemotherapy or both.

Although this science of cancer eradication can only enhance the success of the medical intervention of cancer patients, I would be even more concerned of this being received as a sign of a decreased issue among teens. Adults over the age of twenty-five who have not yet begun to smoke, are statistically less likely to begin the deadly addiction. Unfortunatly, people who begin to smoke under this age, are more likely to be life-long smoker's. It is apparent to me that a more aggressive anti-smoking campaign should be directed to further reduce the likelyhood of a vaccine giving the impression that it is a nominal disease.

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by smirkley]

[Edited on 20-2-2004 by Kano]

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
ya i read about this in the paper. if they can come out with this, why not every cancer. i think it is also connected with smoking. the government makes TONS of cash off cigarette sales. so having vaccine will make people less worried about quitting. which in turn boosts sales. im definatly not saying the vaccine is a bad thing, its good. but if they can do that, im sure they can find a cure for the cold, and other cancers (which they have, but not released them yet due to money gains)

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Just saw the report for this with an interview, on the local news today.

The person interviewed suggested that this vaccine can be modified to be applied to many other types of cancer. The urgency of Lung cancer as well as Prostrate cancer caused the focus to be in this area first.

This sounds like a very promising vaccine that would have major positive influence on one of the most difficult to treat disease in modern times.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by tiegm
but if they can do that, im sure they can find a cure for the cold, and other cancers (which they have, but not released them yet due to money gains)

Just read in another thread about this guy who seriously claimed he had found the cure for cold: '___'. I laughed, but he said it had helped him every time, not just once. Ergot which is another substance which is isolated from the same fongus as '___' is also a very promising cure against migrene.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Yeah, I agree with Smirkley - a vaccine is great but it may lead to a rise in smokers, although the vaccine only delays death. Otherwise it's a great discovery!

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
That's really good news.

Now we need to find vaccines for other cancers...

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
The argument that the vaccine would increase the rate of smokers should be moot. You can have all sorts of other life debilitating problems from smoking like emphysema. But that is besides the point. This reminds me of an argument that I heard a while back that if there was a cure for AIDS it would tell teens that they could have all the sex they want without caring. That is just plain stupid. It is also barbaric to think to withhold such a drug that could save, or even prolong lives.

Meddled

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   
im a skeptic, and while this seems to be a good thing now, how helpful is it going to be in the longrun. as has been pointed out in nearly every other post, its glorifying smoking, but you have to remember, a large percentage of drugs only work for a small percentage of the population. some of these vaccines and drugs are cultured in such a way, that often times they are more dangerous than the disease they are inteded to treat....not to mention the way the govt likes to sneak a little extra stuff into the needle just to see how it works.

(btw, know im late, but yea, new)

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   
As a long time smoker myself, I can't see this as anything but good...

Hopefully, this is just a stop gap measure until we are able to clone ourselves new lungs.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   
that has to be the best news i have heard all week

top topics

join