It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BNP leader blames Muslims for Britain's drug problems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   

The BBC was last night dragged into a race row after it broadcast claims by the British National Party blaming Muslim immigrants for the country's hard drugs problems. The comments were made during a debate on multiculturalism on BBC2's Newsnight, which examined the results of a survey for the channel's White season – a series of documentaries on what it means to be white and working class in Britain today.

When informed the poll showed that white working class Britons were more concerned about drug and drink culture than immigration, the BNP leader Nick Griffin responded with an attack on Pakistani immigrants. He said: "You can't possibly separate the hard drugs trade from the question of Islam and particularly Pakistani immigration. Any working class area of Britain – in a multiracial area – the hard drugs problem is related to Islam and Pakistan."

www.islamophobia-watch.com...

whats next?

"muslims reponsible for global warming"

"indian curry burns whole in the ozone layer"

BNPs are perfect circus clowns, and only fellow clowns will take notice of such extraordinary clown intelligence.

Do find it intriguing how they are allowed to go about in disparaging remarks...

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Oh, where do we start poking holes in this statement?

A lot of drugs like coc aine come from Columbia, more and more people (white British citizens, no less!) are growing marijuana themselves and whilst a lot of heroin does come from Afghanistan it has nothing to do with Islam or Pakistani immigrants and more to do with the Taliban and their funds... just like buying illicit substances from South America funds some of these drug cartels in the region.

I don't see how religion or race is an issue - drugs are drugs, and people from all kinds of places are involved in producing, transporting and selling them. If you make up ridiculous facts about the illegal drugs trade like this then you demean the efforts of those trying to stop it; tackling drugs needs to transcend barriers of class, race, religion and nationality. I've seen up-close how it can ruin lives of people who are otherwise good and decent, who had so much potential but wasted it. Griffin's comments are ignorant and show his complete unsuitability to hold even a single local council seat, let alone a Parliamentary seat. The man brings race and religion into issues where it's irrelevant for his own political gain.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The smugglers are mainly turks I believe, since '79 the ayatollahs took a dim view on it so the Iranians aren't so much involved anymore.

But as IsaHassan said, the processing of the raw product mainly takes place in Pakistan.

However, that's one drug, I hardly think Muslims can be blamed for drugs in general. Our columbian and dutch friends (who are responsible for pretty much all of the coke/crack on one hand and '___' and E on the other) are notorious fanatical in their devotion to Islam.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Hamas rounded up drug addicts and dealers when they took control of Gaza. I highly doubt muslims are to blame for our drug problem, most likely the paramilitaries in Northern Ireland.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
If cocain was produced in wales, the welsh would smuggle it.

if heroin was produced in scotland the scottish would smuggle it.

If britain was under occupation and years of invasion, and they had a climate for it they would grow it.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
What interests me is the condemnation Nick Griffin and the BNP receive simply for airing their opinions in a so called democracy.
Believe what you want as long as it doesn't upset the majority sensibilities seems to be the order of the day at present.

Whether people like it or not Nick Griffen is the leader of a political party and as such represents a percentage of the British population.
news.bbc.co.uk...
www.irr.org.uk...
(Note that BNP accounted for 4.9% of EC votes in 2004, Muslims account for 2.7% of the population. Consider the disproportionate amount of media coverage given to each minority)

Do they not have the right to be heard as other minorities have?

BNP politicians are treated to a particularly biased grilling, (which absolutely would not be allowed for any other politicians or social representative) on the few occassions they are given coverage by MSM.

That the majority of Heroin and other opiates which reach the UK originates in Afghanistan and Pakistan is beyond debate.
That this poison is ends up in the UK through a supply chain which is predominently Muslim is also beyond debate.
Muslims consist of 2.7% of the UK population.
Muslims consist of 10% of the UK prison population; predominantly for drug related offenses.

Their are grounds to believe that there is a significant link between Muslims and the drug trade in the UK and warrants discussion and debate.
There are obviously contributory factors but to castigate Nick Griffin for simply airing the issue is typical and most unfair.
Any "criticism" of Muslims is racist and must be condemned and BNP are convenient scapegoats.

For the record.
I do not support the BNP in any shape or form.
I have never voted for the BNP.
I do agree with some of their policies, but I also agree with some of Labours, some of the Tories and some Lib Dem policies.
I do support the right for the BNP to be given a fair and even treatment by the MSM.
(People will also then be able to see just how idiotic and hair brain the majority of their policies are!)

[Edit; Grammar and clarity.]

[edit on 10-3-2008 by Freeborn]

[edit on 10-3-2008 by Freeborn]

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I condemn them because what they're saying is untrue. They refer to 'drugs', not specifically heroin (which, as you rightly say, comes primarily from Afghanistan).

The truth is that drugs are imported from all over the world and trying to link with with a religion or a race is ludicrous. Surely you can see that. It reminds me of the obsession that Nazi Germany or Stalin's USSR had with the Jews, believing that they were behind every problem. We all know where that led... let's not go down that route again.

If we really want to solve the drug problem in the UK then this is not the way to do it - Nick Griffin is scapegoating Muslims because it fits with his political agenda. I don't deny that Muslims are involved in drug trafficking and other breaches of the law - this is perfectly true. But they don't break laws because they are Muslims, which is what Nick Griffin appears to be doing. Why doesn't he blame Catholics for the coc aine problem? After all, most South American nations are predominately Roman Catholic.

All drug smugglers and dealers are as bad as one another - they all deserve to be behind bars, irrespective of their race or religion.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Ste2652

Yes, I agree with a lot of what you said.
My initial point is that ANYTHING the BNP says is immediately demonised and there appears to be little scrutiny of the content of their statements / policies merely as they are far right wing.

There is a corelation between the heroin trade and Muslims therefore it is a subject worthy of serious discussion.
That there are contributory factors I have no doubt and that the BNP subsequently use the information to further their own agenda is beyong dispute, (which politicians don't?).

I also think it's fair to say that the MSM have an exceptionally biased approach against the BNP which would not be tolerated with any other political or social organisation.
This undemocratic treatment helps contribute to the increased feeling of alienation and margnilisation from the members of our society who feel that their legitimate concerns are being censored and even actively repressed.
This is contrary to the whole ethos of free speech.

In addition it negates any serious discussion on current drug policies.
The current policy of prohibition simply does not work.
But any serious debate on this subject is heavily censored, even here on ATS.

A current attempt at serious discussion on the subject whilst remainig within the T&C. (its very hard I assure you).

www.belowtopsecret.com...'

The point is, any serious discussion on alternative approaches is seriously frowned upon.
As a society we seem to increasinly wanting to bury our heads in the sand and are actively discouraged from discussing legitimate but uncomfortable subjects and until such time that we do we will continue in this downward spiral.

top topics

join