It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Create Artificial Black Hole in Lab

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Direct experiments with black holes are unlikely, due at the very least to the distance any are from Earth, not to mention how difficult these warps in space and time would be to work with.

Instead, researchers are searching for ways to create lab models of event horizons.

Now scientists have created an artificial event horizon on a tabletop using fiber optics.

This beam created waves that got overtaken by the laser flow, resembling how light waves are overcome by the gravitational pull just past an event horizon.

"The most surprising aspect for me is how simple it actually is to create artificial event horizons," Leonhardt told LiveScience.

www.foxnews.com...

This is very cool. If we could learn about blackholes and how they are created, maybe we could begin creating real blackholes to different parts of the universe. Pretty far fetched but would be awesome.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
If anyone else has any info on this. I would like to learn more about. I thought event horizon was just a movie...lol

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Misleading title IMO - they are not creating artificial black holes, they are simulating an "event horizon". Big difference!

The only thing that *might* be creating a black hole is the LHC.

join