It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God, the Devil and other puzzling mysteries of Faith

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I am a catholic by birth but I have lately come to think of myself as a Thiest. I believe in most if not all of the teachings of Jesus, but have so many questions about the bible thus far receiving only unsatisfactory answers. I am hoping some here may be able to help me explore these and other faith based questions.

There is clearly a difference in the character of God as portrayed in the Old Testament vs the New Testament. I seem to always get the reason behind this as Christ coming to be and his sacrifice eliminated the need for the vengeful God of the OT. And still people say that despite the punishment and fire and brimstone of the OT God, he was still doing it out of love and compassion much like a parent disciplines a child.

If God is all forgiving all loving, would he accept Lucifer back into heaven if he wanted?

If the devil is too evil to want to go back, this contradicts the supposed presence of God I have heard about. It is often described as a comfort and love that is beyond reason that it would be 'hell' to not be near it. It seems to reason that the devil would want to go back. If not, then basically God made him to be as such, incapable of reverting to a state even near his previous position which was soo close to God.

In order to get into the kingdom of heaven, many say you have to believe Jesus Christ died on the cross for all mans sins. If this is the case, if one believes this, but still chooses to sin, he should still get into heaven. If he is still required to live a virtuous life, then the concept behind the reason of Christ's death seem not all valid.

The arrogance factor. God wants us to worship him. This seems out of character for someone in a position of unlimited benevolent power. I can understand him wanting us to love him and want to do right, but to worship him seems..more in the realm of man.

I have so many more, I can only collect these few thoughts in a clear enough manner now to ask. I will inquire more as I get feedback. I hope to hear from many, and they be reasonable and friendly.

Thank you.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Just looking over threads I made and saw this one never went anywhere. I still would like to get some feedback on this if anyone cares to chime in.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

hello

yes the character is different but then again Gods plans was further down the road, you only have to look at revelation for one to see that character is still there.

God himself says there will be another "agreement" and this is the new testament, he said he will write his law in their hearts.

according to the book of Enoch Satan and the fallen angels ask Enoch to petition God. Its irrelevant if Satan wants back in or not. God states quite clearly that blasphemy of the holy spirit is unforgivable and, IMHO, the holy spirit is but of the Godhead, when Satan rebelled etc this is what he did, he corrupted the creation of God.

Secondly, unlike the people here on earth he has been in the presence of God, i think this makes a huge difference. Its one thing to say something about someone, another to say it to them.

The Bible is for mankind, not the angels etc. these are our laws if you will, our rule book etc. It is not the same as for the angels as they are different to us.

regarding Sin. my opinion is that all our sins are forgiven, however if we choose to willingly and continuously sin then we walk away from the gift of christ given to us by the grace of God. we are not perfect so we will and do sin but if we are genuine in or apology and repentance it is forgiven.

However that is not to say that we do not have to answer for our sins.

regarding worship, this can be done in our actions and our hearts, we give glory and reverence and credit in all things to God. its a genuine acknowledgment in love of God.

have you ever heard the saying, its lonely at the top? I'm not saying God is lonely of course.

You must know how it feels when you are rejected by someone/something
such as a partner, friend or even a pet.

David

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Hi wolf321!

I am going to work backwards with your questions.

God does expect worship but he's looking for people to worship him in Spirit - because he is Spirit. God is the Mighty "WoW" factor and when people discover his presence lives inside them, the world really does get a little brighter. God is a God of mystery - but he's a God who reveals himself to those he loves. Why does he choose to reveal himself to some and not others - I haven't a clue. I would venture to say, that most only read about him but fail to really seek him.

When people talk about the kingdom of heaven, they think of the eternal realm, where there is eternal life. What most fail to see is that Jesus "is" eternal life and you don't have to wait until you die to experience him. What he has to offer is completely free. You mention, that you are Catholic and I'll say 'they sure have pretty Churches' lol - but what it all boils down to is your personal relationship with God. I don't like group think tanks because there is only room for you and you alone on the narrow path to God.

Everyone sins except little babies. So many people think 'Peter' holds the key to the kingdom because he guessed it right that Jesus was the Messiah - but the real key, to entering the kingdom of God - in the here and now is to become childlike. Most people are set in there ways and have preconceived notions and that's why so many fail to find the truth - the real truth, that Jesus is all he claimed to be and more. Consider a child. They totally trust and depend on you for everything. And they will believe anything you tell them. You tell them Santa is real from an early age and an excitement builds in them and they learn to accept it and even better they begin to anticipate it. There really is nothing quite like a good surprise.

I'm not so sure, that Lucifer and Satan are the same person. But let's assume they are, and since there are more references to the title Satan, I'll use this example: The last time he makes an appearance in the Old Testament is in Zecheriah 3. Joshua is getting ready to be anointed by the Lord and Satan stands next to Joshua to accuse him. The Lord looks at the condition Joshua is in - his clothes and turban are nasty, and practically in disgust the Lord says to Satan "The Lord rebuke you Satan! The Lord who hase chosen Jerusalem, rebuke you! Is not this man a burning stick snatched from the fire?" But Jesus also says in Revelation 3 - in the letter to Laodicea, "I love those I rebuke and discipline, so be earnest and repent."

God is a God of mercy. He always has been. He always will be. There are reasons behind all the curses that have existed from Eden until now. Jesus is the only fix there is. Darkness had to be beaten at it's own game. Jesus was in and out and it never saw him coming.

[edit on 24-8-2008 by Myrtales Instinct]

top topics

join