It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music & Stress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
We all live stressful lives, in one way or another. Jobs, children, family, etc., are all variables in our lives that can ultimately lead to back breaking stress. Very few of us are going through lives with little to no debt, and I'm sure even those that make decent livings still have some financial concerns. Bottom line, we are all forced to endure daily hurdles that can lead to psychological problems.

I know for me personally, I live as stress free as one could expect. I have committed myself psychologically to not emphasizing on materialistic items that are replaceable, or the monthly bills that are always going to be there. But being human, I can not maintain this standard every day. And from time to time I find myself under excessive amounts of stress that can really bring me down. But something I have always done, but tend to forget all too often, is the ability of music to subside the oncoming stress. There is nothing better in life than popping an mp3 player in your pocket and going for a long walk, jog, or run.

The last few days I have began jogging again. I run a set route each day and it's almost four miles. Much of it is a slight incline, but there is about a one mile stretch that is really uphill. Throwing some music on while I'm out for this, even if I only walk the whole journey, I find myself at a peace and I see the world in this degree of clarity that allows everything to just make sense.

Some may think I'm crazy but I am sure others will know what I am talking about. Through the day I just look into the cars passing by and look at complete strangers and wonder the lives that they live and the problems they may face. Or the birds that fly overhead and think of what they see each and every day. Then focus on the music that you listen to and grasp the lyrics for what they are trying to say. By the time you make it back home, you may not even remember that you had a problem.

With the warmer weather coming and the clocks allowing for more daylight, I am really looking forward to going out later in the evenings. I try to go later when it's getting a little cool, as I just prefer this time of day. Last night I even went out shortly before midnight for a half hour jog. This is truly the best time, in my opinion. When the sky is pitch black and the only lighting is that of the poles above head. Staring at the stars and just allowing the mind to wander of all of the possibilities. Mind you I would not recommend these hours of the day if you do not feel comfortable out on your own, but if you do.. man it works.

And on top of everything else, the physical exertion is never a bad thing.

[edit on 7-3-2008 by chissler]

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I've got to agree with you about listening to music helps with stress,i'm a very stressed person so putting my mp3 player on always calms me down.
I have a set selection of songs that is i'm stressed i put on and it caplms in a few minutes.
I have helped a few friends with this as well,lent C.D's and tried to get them to do the same thing i do,they all said it really works.

I've helped someone on the road to less stress,i'm very proud of myself

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Yes!! Music is the best stress releif ever. When I'm feeling like I'm going to explode and go postal in the shopping mall with a sniper rifle. I stick on some hard,fast speedcore. I can feel the bad vibes running scared. Such a relief.

music rules,I hope who/what ever invented it has a place in the ether.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Yeah music is very useful for stress relief, I think music therapy is even a recognised form of alternative therapy now.

One thing I do find however, is if I overuse it it has the opposite effect because I start to associate certain songs with feelings or times in my life. So now I generally try and listen to the radio (streaming at home because actual radio sucks!) or I go on the search for like 10 new songs to play.

It does work though, I particularly love driving with it. Well, now that I've sold my car I guess that'll be 'riding' if I can get some sort of headset.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Music therapy is 100% a recognizable treatment.

I work in residential care and if a client is manic, using some music therapy is always an option to soothe him or her and allow themselves to come back down a few levels. Not always successful, but it can be when used appropriately.

Pending on the individual, anything from a renowned musician to the sound of running water can do what we need done.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I assume I use music as a stress reliever in a very different way than most perhaps. Instead of using a soothing, calm type music, I crank up something I can dance to. I literally put myself right into it like one would do a workout, till Iam sweating buckets. I get a workout and relieve stress at the same time.

top topics

join