It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we list bible predictions that have come true?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptionToChoose

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
So basically, every prophecy that is false in the bible, isn't false, but will happen "in the future"?

It's kinda like the blind pig finding an acorn. Eventually that poor pig WILL find an acorn, and if I said before hand that he would, then I'm a prophet.

I'm going to make a prophecy ... the world will end.

Okay .. if we wait long enough it will happen. Guess that means I'm a prophet.

bye

I'll jump on board, though, when you give details as to how it will end, when that will start/finish, and provide a checklist of events to look for along the way which actually start happening as you long ago said it would. Even the bible gets pretty serious (OT-style) about a prophet who predicts yet nothing ever happens . . this person is therefore false, and to be dealt with.

I'm not personally into stoning these days, but the psychological equivalent of getting one's brains bashed in seems to be how it's handled online. And should be.

Just keep the prophesies vague and very distant, and you can't go wrong.

Heck, it always worked in biblical times

J

[edit on 21-4-2008 by jimbo999]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jimbo999

Guess I'd have to respond that faith is the substance of things hoped for, not the things hoped for. If proof is granted, and knowledge given, what then is faith? One can have knowledge or faith, but not both.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
In Matt: 24:32-34 didn't jesus say that this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. Does that mean he was talking to that present time and his disciples would be alive when this happens?
In Matt: 23:34-36 & Luke 11:47-51 Jesus spoke to the religious leaders saying this will happen to that generation back then.

I fill there's big money to be made by people using our fears and misunderstanding of the bible and the prohecy written in it. War War 1 came and the end days were there upon us, then came war world 2 and the end days were upon us. Then vietnam and now the War on terrorism and the end days are here. Jesus said the end would come when the gospel had been preached all over the world. Matt. 24:14 then Paul states in Col.1:6 and again in Col.1:23 or Luke. 21:20 that the gospels has been taught to every creature of the earth.

I just think the bible was written for that time period and all those prophecies have been fulfilled along time ago. The end times meant end of the age. Now this is just my opinion and I'm bringing it here to see what you all think. I'm still searching for truth about the bible and I'm not a firm believer of anything at this point. I just want to learn so I hope I don't offend anyone with this stuff.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
In Matt: 24:32-34 didn't jesus say that this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. Does that mean he was talking to that present time and his disciples would be alive when this happens?

Matt 24:32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

During this whole chapter, Christ is talking about the signs of the end, and then says this generation shall not pass untill all things be fullfilled: "this generation" being the generation that sees these signs, not the generation he was telling them too.

Originally posted by Solarskye
In Matt: 23:34-36 & Luke 11:47-51 Jesus spoke to the religious leaders saying this will happen to that generation back then.

Christ does not say their sins will come upon them back then, He is saying that generation will be judged for these sins, and if you understand the context, he is talking about the resurrection to judgement.

[edit on 21/4/08 by doctorex]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

23When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. I tell you the truth, you will not finish going through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.
Matthew 10:23

This did not happen!

And

Luke 9:27 I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God."

All of these people are dead, and the kingdom of God has never occurred on Earth!!!!

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire

23When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. I tell you the truth, you will not finish going through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

This did not happen!

That's because the English is a misquote and this is not exactly what it says in the Greek. It says the cities will not be finished until His coming, not "you will be finished going through them". Also the words of Christ were mainly for the church throughout time, not one single person and their life time, or only who happened to be standing near him at the time.

And

Luke 9:27 I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God."

All of these people are dead, and the kingdom of God has never occurred on Earth!!!!

Again it has a lot do with translation and the what the previous verse is talking about.

26 For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels.
27 But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

The word translated as standing "here" is the greek word "autuo", which means the same spot. So the same spot as what? The same point in time where Jesus returns in glory, which is exactly what he is talking about. So what is Jesus saying? At his return there will be some people alive who do not taste death, but enter into the kingdom of God without actually dieing. It is the very event Paul is talking about in these verses...

1CORINTHIANS 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
51 Behold, I show you a mystery; We shall not all sleep (die), but we shall all be changed,
52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we (the church) shall be changed (talking of those still alive)
53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

These things have not happened yet because Christ has not yet returned in his glory, so their is no conflict. Any percieved conflicts simply arise from taking verses out of context and the difficulties in translating from one language to another.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

The thing is, Biblical prophecy watchers know exactly what is going to happen with the exception of a few things like the significance of the number 666 or when the rapture will occur. But the prophecies are so precise, it has nothing to do with having to wait to see what happens like a previous author mentioned on this page. We already know what they mean and are keeping an eye out for the next items on the docket for fulfillment.

So what is exactly going to happen? What are the "next items on the docket for fulfillment."

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by doctorex

This did not happen!

That's because the English is a misquote and this is not exactly what it says in the Greek. It says the cities will not be finished until His coming, not "you will be finished going through them". Also the words of Christ were mainly for the church throughout time, not one single person and their life time, or only who happened to be standing near him at the time.

So the verse should read:

23When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. I tell you the truth, the cities will not be finished until His coming,

Are you serious? When is a city ever "finished"?? Rome has been a city for how long? But is it finished? No a City is never finished, Is Athens, Rhodes or any other Greek or any city on Earth ever truly finished? The verse makes perfect since, it seems perfectly clear what was being stated. What you claim it means make no since whatsoever.

Matthew 10:23 (Today's New International Version)
23 When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

Matthew 10:23 (Worldwide English (New Testament)
23When they trouble you in one town, go to another. I tell you the truth. You will not go to all the towns in Israel before the Son of Man comes.

Matthew 10:23 (New International Reader's Version)
23 "When people attack you in one place, escape to another. What I'm about to tell you is true. You will not finish going through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

Matthew 10:23 (New Life Version)
23 When they make it hard for you in one town, go to another. For sure, I tell you, before you have gone through the Jewish cities, the Son of Man will come.

Matthew 10:23 (Darby Translation)
23But when they persecute you in this city, flee to the other; for verily I say to you, Ye shall not have completed the cities of Israel until the Son of man be come.

Matthew 10:23 (New Living Translation)
23 When you are persecuted in one town, flee to the next. I tell you the truth, the Son of Man[a] will return before you have reached all the towns of Israel.
Bible Gateway

It is perfectly clear what is being said here, and it didn't happen this way.

And

Again it has a lot do with translation and the what the previous verse is talking about.

26 For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels.
27 But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

The word translated as standing "here" is the greek word "autuo", which means the same spot. So the same spot as what? The same point in time where Jesus returns in glory, which is exactly what he is talking about. So what is Jesus saying? At his return there will be some people alive who do not taste death, but enter into the kingdom of God without actually dieing. It is the very event Paul is talking about in these verses...

1CORINTHIANS 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
51 Behold, I show you a mystery; We shall not all sleep (die), but we shall all be changed,
52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we (the church) shall be changed (talking of those still alive)
53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

These things have not happened yet because Christ has not yet returned in his glory, so their is no conflict. Any percieved conflicts simply arise from taking verses out of context and the difficulties in translating from one language to another.

I have not taken this out of context, it says what it says, there is no conflict between what was written in Greek then translated into English.

I do find it interesting the verses believers believe in there is never a question of context or translation, but when verses from the same book are used to show possible conflicts or unfulfilled prophecy then the context and translation argument comes into play.

I'm attempting to use reason and logic to understand all of this, but really it seems you must have faith in order to discount my arguments.

[edit on 22-4-2008 by LDragonFire]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   

So the verse should read:

23When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. I tell you the truth, the cities will not be finished until His coming,

Are you serious? When is a city ever "finished"?? Rome has been a city for how long? But is it finished? No a City is never finished, Is Athens, Rhodes or any other Greek or any city on Earth ever truly finished? The verse makes perfect since, it seems perfectly clear what was being stated. What you claim it means make no since whatsoever.

No, you're simply looking from the wrong angle. You're thinking of Israel as a place, a location. Israel were a people, a family, and they consisted of 12 tribes, which was also more than simply the tribe of Judah, who today are the Jews. Do you know who these other tribes became?

23 When you are persecuted in one town, flee to the next. I tell you the truth, the Son of Man[a] will return before you have reached all the towns of Israel.
Bible Gateway

The only thing clear is that you don't understand what exactly Israel is and was.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   

I have not taken this out of context, it says what it says, there is no conflict between what was written in Greek then translated into English.

I do find it interesting the verses believers believe in there is never a question of context or translation, but when verses from the same book are used to show possible conflicts or unfulfilled prophecy then the context and translation argument comes into play.

I'm attempting to use reason and logic to understand all of this, but really it seems you must have faith in order to discount my arguments.

I'm sorry but you are taking it out of context. Christ is talking about the day he returns in his glory and then says that some people in this same spot (autuo), will not taste of death. He is plainly talking about the people at his return. If you can't understand the reason and logic of that, then I don't know what to say, other than you are simply choosing not to see it.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   

No, you're simply looking from the wrong angle. You're thinking of Israel as a place, a location. Israel were a people, a family, and they consisted of 12 tribes, which was also more than simply the tribe of Judah, who today are the Jews. Do you know who these other tribes became?

Interesting that it's not what the bible says. So now according to you cities or towns actually mean the 12 tribes of Israel?

Bible Gateway

The only thing clear is that you don't understand what exactly Israel is and was.

Regarding your interpretations I will agree with you, your not making this up as you go are you?

I'm sorry but you are taking it out of context. Christ is talking about the day he returns in his glory and then says that some people in this same spot (autuo), will not taste of death. He is plainly talking about the people at his return. If you can't understand the reason and logic of that, then I don't know what to say, other than you are simply choosing not to see it.

Ok we will check and see if I'm taking this out of context, or is it you must see what you wish to see.

Matthew 10
1He called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out evil[a] spirits and to heal every disease and sickness.

2These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon (who is called Peter) and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee, and his brother John; 3Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus; 4Simon the Zealot and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him.

5These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: "Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans. 6Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. 7As you go, preach this message: 'The kingdom of heaven is near.' 8Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy,drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give. 9Do not take along any gold or silver or copper in your belts; 10take no bag for the journey, or extra tunic, or sandals or a staff; for the worker is worth his keep.

11"Whatever town or village you enter, search for some worthy person there and stay at his house until you leave. 12As you enter the home, give it your greeting. 13If the home is deserving, let your peace rest on it; if it is not, let your peace return to you. 14If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town. 15I tell you the truth, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town. 16I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.

17"Be on your guard against men; they will hand you over to the local councils and flog you in their synagogues. 18On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. 19But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, 20for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.

21"Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. 22All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. 23When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. I tell you the truth, you will not finish going through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

1. Jesus sends out his disciples.
2. Jesus instructs his disciples on their mission.
3. Jesus tells them what to do in certain situations.
4. Jesus states they are to preach to the sheep of Israel
5. Jesus tells them When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. I tell you the truth, you will not finish going through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

He says "you" meaning the 12 disciples, and that their work will not be completed before his second coming.

Did this occur?

What I'm posting is not out of context!

A interesting side note did any of the disciples ever raise the dead?

[edit on 23-4-2008 by LDragonFire]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Both of you got this wrong. If you read the whole book of Matthew, you will see that the event you are wondering about, which is the return of Christ has occured once. After He died, He was burried for 3 days and rose on the third day. The apostles saw him in his glory. This is the event Christ was talking about as far as your question is concerned. That is also known as his firstcoming. His secondcoming has yet to be.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Firstly, that is not he statement I said you took out of context, the statement I said you took out of context was the one about people still being alive and entering the KIngdom.

When referring to that stamentent about the cities of Israel, I said you didn't understand what Israel is, and no I didn't mean the cities were the 12 tribes. If I tell you you to go to cities of a spreading people (when jesus said this 1o tribes had already dispersed), and that these cities will never be finished, am I talking about the cities of where these people originated, or that these cities will be completed in construction? No. These people as they spread will keep building cities right up until the time of the return of Christ, so even if you still want to believe that Christ is saying they will never be able to go from one city to the next and reach all the cities of Israel before the return of Christ, it still wouldn't be possible, because most of them wouldn't even have been built yet.

Also when speaking to the Apostles, Jesus' words weren't meant simply for them, it was also to be recorded for the church, for the future, another fact you don't seem to understand.

And if you think what Jesus is saying the apostles about going to the surounding cities during his lifetime, and this is part of his staement about them not going to all the cities of Israel, you should take note that the area Jesus tells the Appostles to go to is only the land of Judea, he tells them not to go to cities of the Samaritans, which was actually part of the ancient kingdom of the Israelites.

[edit on 23/4/08 by doctorex]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Locoman8

The appostles did not see Jesus in all is Glory, that happens when he returns as a lion, bringing his kingdom to this world as King of Kings, and Lord of Lords.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by doctorex

Call it what you will but the part about them not seeing death before he returns is talking about when he resurrected from the dead. The apostles saw him and weather it was in all His glory or not, to them he looked angelic because they just saw him crucified. People get confused with that line about "this generation surely will not pass before the return of the king" or whatever he says. People that don't have faith in christianity go back to that line to prove that Jesus was wrong but he wasn't. He was talking about when he rose on the third day.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

dunno man....looked at the links and its very vague.
There is not one prophecy on there at all....just fables and nostradamus type nonsense.

It is because i said it is.....oh wow a prophecy.....please people, give us something of substance...otherwise you just sound foolish.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
the book of isaiah basically describes the lds churchs past present and future vividly

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by brfb9
the book of isaiah basically describes the lds churchs past present and future vividly

Can you explain this? By lds you are referring to Latter Day Saints?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Don't get me started on the mormons.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Apart from Biblical predictions that have come true, what about the foods that we are instructed NOT to eat?

Something to be said how science has been able to explain why some of these non kosher foods are not exactly 100% safe for human consumption.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join