It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we list bible predictions that have come true?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
This is why I find these conversations so exhausting. The questions above are something I have explained a million times on ATS. No offense to anyone.

Originally posted by FlyersFan
OF COURSE I'm going to bring up 'this generation will not pass ...' It's blaringly obvious. It was wrong. Period.

As far as Matthew and Luke attempting to whitewash the error with theo-babble ... It doesn't fly.

No it is not. This stems from your misunderstanding. Look carefully at the wording in Matthew and Luke. It looks like the same warning but it is not. In Luke, Jesus is warning of the destruction that came in 70 A.D. 'The sign' they were to watch out for was when Jerusalem was surrounded by enemies. This is exactly how it happened with the Roman overthrow. That generation did not pass. Then in Matthew the warning is specifically for the end times and even more specifically the tribulation. 'The sign' given here is not the surrounding of Jerusalem but the abomination of desolation. So, Luke is referring to that generation (and later switches over to the end times) while Matthew is referring to the tribulation generation and end times.

As for your 'list of Bible contradictions' I simply don't have the time to answer them for you. It's up to you to do the research like I did on my website HERE. There are dozens of other websites that answer these so called 'contradictions.'

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
So basically, every prophecy that is false in the bible, isn't false, but will happen "in the future"?

Sorta like how the "day of the lord" has been, what's the word, nigh, for 2,500 years now.

I know you're smarter than this, Foxy. When the context of a prophecy is referring to the end times (generally the tribulation period, Messianic kingdom, and the time leading up to them), it's pretty silly to complain that they haven't been fulfilled yet. They weren't supposed to be.

Originally posted by LDragonFire
Jesus implies that he will return in John’s lifetime.

No. Peter was complaining because Jesus warned Peter that He would end up dying for his testimony. Peter was upset and asked about John. Jesus' reply basically boils down to 'none of your business.' I cite this verse all the time when people ask why there are some rich/poor Christians, healthy/sick Christians, free/persecuted Christians, etc. It's because we all have our own 'destiny.' if you will.

Concerning all the 'soon' references. I'm sorry to tell you but it is much more clear in the original Greek. The word 'soon' in the original Greek means rapidly. quickly. As in, when it happens it is going to be quick. Cross reference this with the 'thief in the night' descriptions and the dozens of warnings by Jesus to be ready. To see the Greek words used, See: HERE and HERE.

Then the whole '2,000 year' gap. Already explained on ATS HERE. Not to mention HERE.

Not trying to be mean, Guys, but this is why I typically stay out of these discussions. It's the same objections and explanations over and over again.

Did anyone even bother checking out all the links I gave previously? They pretty much explain everything being brought up a lot better than I could. If you're actually trying to learn something, I highly suggest checking them out. If you're just here to take things out of context and argue, then I really can't help you.

[edit on 3/18/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Why only 70 AD what about the BC

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   

So basically, every prophecy that is false in the bible, isn't false, but will happen "in the future"?

It's kinda like the blind pig finding an acorn. Eventually that poor pig WILL find an acorn, and if I said before hand that he would, then I'm a prophet.

I'm going to make a prophecy ... the world will end.

Okay .. if we wait long enough it will happen. Guess that means I'm a prophet.

bye

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

It's kinda like the blind pig finding an acorn. Eventually that poor pig WILL find an acorn, and if I said before hand that he would, then I'm a prophet.

I'm going to make a prophecy ... the world will end.

Okay .. if we wait long enough it will happen. Guess that means I'm a prophet.

bye

I'll jump on board, though, when you give details as to how it will end, when that will start/finish, and provide a checklist of events to look for along the way which actually start happening as you long ago said it would. Even the bible gets pretty serious (OT-style) about a prophet who predicts yet nothing ever happens . . this person is therefore false, and to be dealt with.

I'm not personally into stoning these days, but the psychological equivalent of getting one's brains bashed in seems to be how it's handled online. And should be.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

You are a believer, you have faith. It doesn't matter what Jesus Christ himself says, if it doesn't jive with your faith, you will pick one verse to discount five. I have stated before, if the bible gave a recipe for roast beef, some how the believer would end up with chicken noodle soup. Even if you changed the word soon with quickly the meaning is still the same.

I know the day can be as 100,000 years as stated in the bible, but It was my understanding this was referring to creation. Jesus's own words are too direct to even bring this time thing into it. Jesus was not saying the event would go quickly, he was clearly stating over and over it Was going to happen Soon, or Quickly or Rapidly or whatever word you wish to use to fit your belief, but Heaven for bid you take the guys words as written.

Really how can you justify distorting this?:

Matthew 22:34 I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.[there generation]
Matthew 23:36 I tell you the truth, all this will come upon this generation. [speaking about there present time]
Mark 13:30 I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. [there generation]
Luke 9:27 I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God." [can it be any clearer]
Luke 21:32"I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.[do you think Jesus is making a point here, can there be any doubt what he meant?]
Matthew 10:23When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. I tell you the truth, you will not finish going through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

If these are true, it blows your belief that this is the end times, and it also blows your belief that prophecy is being fulfilled in our present world.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Like any other religion without the prof found in their holy books they would not have a leg to stand on.

But if is in the bible is true, we most forget historical facts and trust the God of Israel and their never accepted messiah as the real deal.

Top it with bias links to religious site and some preaching from your tube and there you have it no debate but uncontested and infallible religious base facts.

Great job people.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Last reply to this thread then I'll be moving along. Not going to pop a vein by trying to be helpful and patiently explain anything only to have everything turned around to pigs and acorns and chicken noodle soup.

Matthew 22:34 I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.[there generation]

Then generation who 'sees all these things.' As in, the end times and tribulation. Read the context.

Matthew 23:36 I tell you the truth, all this will come upon this generation. [speaking about there present time]

Look at the CONTEXT. *Bang head against a brick wall* Jesus was cursing them for their disbelief and prophesying their dispora and destruction. This happened in their generation.

Mark 13:30 I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. [there generation]

Same thing as Matthew. Context.

Luke 9:27 I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God." [can it be any clearer]

Pentecost, grace, and the HS. This happened 40 days after his ascension. Yes, those people experienced this.

Luke 21:32"I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.[do you think Jesus is making a point here, can there be any doubt what he meant?]

CONTEXT. Prophetic dualism. Both then and tribulation/second coming/end times. I don't understand what is so difficult.

Matthew 10:23When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. I tell you the truth, you will not finish going through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

And this is true. Israel will not accept Jesus as the Messiah until the end. This is prophesied explicitly in other passages.

Ok, I've answered pretty much every question addressed to me on this thread, gave you a good starting point, supplied many, many links, and answered many objections. I will now leave it to the reader to take it from there.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Prophecies has been in this earth since the beginning of mankind, for centuries even before Jesus.

In Matt xvi.28 for example Jesus say "Truly I say unto you , there are some standing here who shall not taste of death, till they see the son of man coming in his kingdom.

It seems that religious zealots seems to by pass certain facts find within the bible to pursue their agendas of doom and gloom.

Like somebody pointed out this was to be fulfilled before the generations of Jesus was put to rest.

Not one Millenia later or two or more, what this prove like others had said before me in this thread this are one of the many inconsistencies found in th bible that seems to be ignore by theologians, religious scholars and followers.

Since 1889 and the beginning of the fundamentalist movement the end of time prophecies has become a good way to keep religious dependency going

As the result many cultist groups has sprouted bringing death in the name of end of times through the last century.

Remember Cult leader David Koresh aka Jesus, leader of Branch Davidian.?

Yes doomsday will come alright at the hands of humanity itself.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Good Bye and take Care Always Go-on and Go up to a Higher Level of Discussions for there is No Much Universal Love There (^^,) I say in an advance No Regrets If All Christians were get Banned Here then the Predictions Will Happen Again and the Clock is Ticking Fast (^^,) the Good and Bad Will Repeatedly Clash Again but if we Solve All the Mysteries in the BIBLE then We will know what is then We will know that there is someone is Always Looking at us and laughing at us Secretly Because we are not Meeting up in the Middle of this many conflict Crossroads

1 John 4
Test the Spirits
1Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

Jeremiah 6:16

16 This is what the LORD says:
"Stand at the crossroads and look;
ask for the ancient paths,
ask where the good way is, and walk in it,
and you will find rest for your souls.
But you said, 'We will not walk in it.'

Isaiah 34:16

16 Look in the scroll of the LORD and read:
None of these will be missing,
not one will lack her mate.
For it is his mouth that has given the order,
and his Spirit will gather them together.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by johnb1]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I know the day can be as 100,000 years as stated in the bible, but It was my understanding this was referring to creation. Jesus's own words are too direct to even bring this time thing into it.

I've been meaning to reply to this but kept forgetting. Just a few things, first of all, it's a day is as 1,000 years (no big deal- just a minor correction). Second, It is not dealing with creation. The precise context is Peter explaining the return of Christ. So, the context is perfect in this case and ties into the Hosea prophecy I mentioned before. This is what Peter said:

First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. They will say, "Where is this 'coming' he promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation..."

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

II Peter 3:3-9

Cross referencing this with the Hosea prophecy, it meshes flawlessly.

Take care, everyone.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I stand corrected, the phrase was always used on me to explain creation. Thanks for your replies to this thread, you have done a wonderful job showing your stand on things.

I don't necessarily agree with you, because it seems one must have faith to accept many of the predictions you say have come to pass, and I do not have faith.

The truth is I'm not knowledgeable enough about the bible to debate throughly, yet I do try anyway, because I have questions that I would like to see answered, and so far none have been able to answer them.

Having blind faith isn't enough for me, there is plenty of reasons about the bible, and Christianity to Not have this faith, you must ignore so much to have this faith, and I do find it interesting that Millions around the world Do.

I'm still not convinced that prophecy regarding Israel is true, the plan was laid out and humans enacted this plan Because it was in the bible making the predictions come true, it was their intent. You can't do the same thing regarding prediction by Nostradamus.

[edit on 19-3-2008 by LDragonFire]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You make a good point in the inconsistency of the gospel but you also have to realize that Matthew, Luke and Mark were all scribes for the apostles and that because of certain views and certain outlooks, these scribes would write what they see. If three people today were in the same place writing about what was happening, there would be inconsistency in what they saw. This doesn't disprove the gospel because they have more consistency than inconsistency. Find a better argument.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I just wanted to state something. I admire your will to debate though you admit your lack of faith and lack of knowledge of the bible. And I just wanted to point out the blind faith of christianity which you speak of. Traditional christianity believes tradition of man. For instance, they celebrate Easter (the celebration of the god and goddess of fertility: Pagan deities) instead of celebrating the christian Passover (the crucifixion of Christ as celebrated on the Last Supper....eat the bread for it is my battered flesh. Drink the wine for it is my spilled blood. It represents Christ as the sacrificial lamb of the passover). Another version of blind faith by the traditional christians is the Sunday worship instead of the true seventh day sabbath on Saturday. The truth is that the Roman Catholics changed christianity to bring more pagans into the religion so they created the worship on Sunday (worship of the sun god) and easter as well as christmas which is actually the celebration of the sun god rising after being at it's lowest point for 3 days. Christ wasn't even born on December 25. He was born near September in b.c. 4. Blind faith, my friend is why people like you have no faith.

On another note, with prophecy, there is a big picture people need to step back and look at. God created the world and life in 6 days and rested on the 7th. That is simply symbolism for his plans for mankind. He gave mankind 6 days to go about their business but he wanted 1 day out of the week for his teachings and his worship. The same goes for the rule of man. 1 day in heaven is like 1,000 years on earth. God gave man 6,000 years for man to prove that he can rule in peace with a government that worked. Man has not been able to do this. The last 1,000 years would be the rule of Christ and his perfect government on earth along with world peace. In order for this to happen, there has to be a transition period for man to humble himself before God. This is the 3 1/2 year tribulation. If you think about it, man has existed for nearly 6,000 years. 4,000 years in the b.c.'s and 2000+ in the a.d.'s. To say we're living in the end times is easy to assum because of this.

So, to all that call themselves christians, stop your pagan celebrations of Easter, Christmas and Sunday worship and repent by worshiping on Saturdays and celebrate our lord's passover.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Locoman8
reply to post by FlyersFan

You make a good point in the inconsistency of the gospel but you also have to realize that Matthew, Luke and Mark were all scribes for the apostles and that because of certain views and certain outlooks, these scribes would write what they see. If three people today were in the same place writing about what was happening, there would be inconsistency in what they saw. This doesn't disprove the gospel because they have more consistency than inconsistency. Find a better argument.

Good point! Since neither Matthew, Mark, nor Luke were at the "empty tomb" of Jesus, we can easily see why they mention different (and contradictory) details of the event. Different people see different things. Although none of them were there. They all got their information from someone else. Someone who WAS there decided to tell different details to each gospel author. Yep! Uh huh. Makes sense!

According to the gospel accounts, the only consistent witness in every empty tomb narrative is Mary Magdalene. Too bad she couldn't get her details straight the four different times she told the story to the gospel writers. I'm sure it was a traumatic experience for her. That probably explains why she said to Matthew: "It was Mary and I who went to the tomb". Then she told Mark, "It was Mary the mother of James, Salome, and I who went to the tomb". And then she told Luke, "It was Mary the mother of James, Joanna, me and others who went to the tomb". Finally she told John, "it was just me who went to the tomb".

Not to mention the other details she mixed up concerning what happened when she got there and what she did after that. She's quite the one woman example of the old "four different witnesses give four different accounts of the same car accident" argument!

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Locoman8

Thanks for your reply but I'm gonna have to break apart your paragraph to respond correctly to it.

I just wanted to state something. I admire your will to debate though you admit your lack of faith and lack of knowledge of the bible. And I just wanted to point out the blind faith of christianity which you speak of.

I was raised in church and my grandfather was a southern baptist minister, religion has been apart of my life since birth. I would label myself as a amateur theologian, but I'm far from being a expert. That is the point to my Jesus threads to learn and to discuss.

Traditional christianity believes tradition of man. For instance, they celebrate Easter (the celebration of the god and goddess of fertility: Pagan deities) instead of celebrating the christian Passover (the crucifixion of Christ as celebrated on the Last Supper....eat the bread for it is my battered flesh. Drink the wine for it is my spilled blood. It represents Christ as the sacrificial lamb of the passover). Another version of blind faith by the traditional christians is the Sunday worship instead of the true seventh day sabbath on Saturday. The truth is that the Roman Catholics changed christianity to bring more pagans into the religion so they created the worship on Sunday (worship of the sun god) and easter as well as christmas which is actually the celebration of the sun god rising after being at it's lowest point for 3 days. Christ wasn't even born on December 25. He was born near September in b.c. 4. Blind faith, my friend is why people like you have no faith.

This is one of the problems I have with Christianity, it's followers and others tend to reinvent it every few hundred years, Christianity they way it was right before and right after Christs death/resurrection today is not only unrecognizable, but unknown completely. I wonder if it started out with Pagan DNA or did it evolve that way to be more palatable towards a Pagan world.

To me modern Christianity is nothing but a doctrine of Man, and has little to do with Jesus or his teachings, they evoke his name and his stories but they have hate in there hearts towards gays and Muslims, just 2 examples, in the past it was Native North and South American Indians. Christians have been at war with Muslims for over 2000 years and yet again we have the 4th crusade raging right now. I don't expect any Christian to answer or confirm this, there actions throughout history are proof enough, besides you yourself know whats in your heart.

On another note, with prophecy, there is a big picture people need to step back and look at. God created the world and life in 6 days and rested on the 7th. That is simply symbolism for his plans for mankind. He gave mankind 6 days to go about their business but he wanted 1 day out of the week for his teachings and his worship. The same goes for the rule of man. 1 day in heaven is like 1,000 years on earth. God gave man 6,000 years for man to prove that he can rule in peace with a government that worked. Man has not been able to do this. The last 1,000 years would be the rule of Christ and his perfect government on earth along with world peace. In order for this to happen, there has to be a transition period for man to humble himself before God. This is the 3 1/2 year tribulation. If you think about it, man has existed for nearly 6,000 years. 4,000 years in the b.c.'s and 2000+ in the a.d.'s. To say we're living in the end times is easy to assum because of this.

This is a interesting theory you have here, but there is evidence that humans have been on Earth for at least 160,000 years:
160,000-year-old fossilized skulls uncovered in Ethiopia are oldest anatomically modern humans Now what to believe, science or your preacher, or a book written in the bronze age?

So, to all that call themselves christians, stop your pagan celebrations of Easter, Christmas and Sunday worship and repent by worshiping on Saturdays and celebrate our lord's passover.

Can you provide some prophetic information from the bible?

Did the bible foretell that the word of God would be changed like it has been?

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
If this hasn't been posted yet I kind of like this one concerning the city of Babylon. From Isaiah

And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the beauty of the Chaldeans’ pride, shall be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah. It shall never be inhabited, neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation: neither shall the Arabian pitch tent there; neither shall shepherds make their flocks to lie down there. But wild beasts of the desert shall live there; and their houses shall be full of doleful creatures; and ostriches shall dwell there, and wild goats shall dance there. And wolves shall cry in their castles, and jackals in the pleasant palaces: and her time is near to come, and her days shall not be prolonged (13:19-22).

This was fulfilled, Babylon is now a wasteland. Interestingly Saddam Hussein had a plan to restore Babylon, but it was cut short by the Iraqi war. The US used the site as an ammo dump so now it's contaminated with depleted uranium. It will probably never be fit for human habitation
. It's amazing how precise Biblical prophecy is. By the way Isaiah also predicted that the Medes under a man named Cyrus would destroy Babylon, long before Cyrus was ever born!

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Sure we can:

1.) none so far.....

Gee, that was easy huh?

J.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

Hmmm...and you can pretty well say the same thing about 5,000 other biblical cities from history. Hardly prophetic in that light though, is it?

J.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Exodus Chapter 20 verses 8-11.

8) Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9) Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
10) but the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates.
11) For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Christ even repeated this in his Gospels. Read the Gospels and see for yourself. He never said the sabbath would change to the first day of Sunday. He even says to keep the passover holy. That was the whole message behind the Last Supper before his crucifixion.

As far as the old skull you found, you should know that God put man on the earth before Adam and Eve but made a covenant with Adam and Eve. He created these two in his vision. He put man on earth before them in order to tend to the land. Your expression of these ancient humans would be "cavemen" who act on instinct and not on knowledge or faith. It is hidden very tightly in the opening chapters of Genesis. I'll post about it later but I'm in a hurry right now. Have to get to work.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimbo999
reply to post by SevenThunders

Hmmm...and you can pretty well say the same thing about 5,000 other biblical cities from history. Hardly prophetic in that light though, is it?

J.

Well no actually. Most of the major ones are still around, like Jerusalem and Damascas and even Nineveh (modern day Mosul). Damascus however will be destroyed as we move into the end times. That is prophesied in the Bible. I suspect the Israelis will nuke it.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join