It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there an end to space?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
its like a giant game of pac-man if you go to the edge of the universe in on direction and just keep going you come out on the other side and the ghosties that are chasing you.......... wait never mind

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dmsoldier
in our galaxy there is, they have found were like a bubble, and theres other bubbles,

someone find the artical!

I read that in Nexus magazine but cannot find the exact issue

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Infinity ends with the end of space, time, infinity is not endless. Unless you were a God and could see past the end of space, time, Our uneverse is limed by our minds to comprehend, by perspective time does not really exist and everthing is really occuring in same instant. The singularity is still sitting there unmoved all is illsion.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
i think that there is a end to space, but its probably like a hundred billion light years away. i dont think there is a wall but somehow i think it has to end.....i confuse myself, and i have thousands of questions in my mind about it. i just wished i had answers.....you know what?, I DONT KNOW.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by constantwonder
its like a giant game of pac-man if you go to the edge of the universe in on direction and just keep going you come out on the other side and the ghosties that are chasing you.......... wait never mind

That's actually probably true. It's just in 3d, though, which is odd to think about. If you go far enough in any direction, you'll end up where you started. Unfortunately, the universe is probably expanding so fast that you couldn't ever hope to actually do that.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Never an end,everything has always been and always will be,never a beginning or end.Course you could rephrase the end of our universe as for the end of space...no.Law of thermo dynamics energy cant be created or destroyed,therefore space is most definetly infinite

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I personally think that space is infinite. I simply can't accept, logically, that it has an end somewhere.....because there must be something 'beyond' that end.

Also, on the other hand, my mind can't grasp the notion of space being infinite, either.

Both scenarios seem absurd, to my tiny mind.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Old Man
I personally think that space is infinite. I simply can't accept, logically, that it has an end somewhere.....because there must be something 'beyond' that end.

Also, on the other hand, my mind can't grasp the notion of space being infinite, either.

Both scenarios seem absurd, to my tiny mind.

Thats because the human mind works in patterns in everything it does practically.Its a biological dysfunction dont blame yourself

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
This is what I think:

Space....being, as it is, physical and three dimensional:

It is impossible that space should 'come to an end' somewhere.

It also seems impossible that it stretches on for ever and ever.

But I would probably go with the latter.....though both are absurd to think about

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I will try and simplify this for everyone, you know in the Bible where God says I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.
In the Bhagavad-gita it says Rama exhale, Rama Inhale.
It also says in the gita if you traveled at the speed of mind for a billion years you would still know nothing of the creator.
And then if you really think about it, you think God would put up with this crap forever, he would just # can this universe and start over, ohwell win some lose some what's another bubble or 2googol.

Then also you must realize this is the gross physical plane, cause and effect, this is where everything just crunches together. Like when you wife hits you in the head with the cast iron skillet, and you say dang I should not of did what ever it was I did EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNGGGGWAWAWAWAWAW
What Huh????

[edit on 6-12-2008 by googolplex]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Space has to be infinite because the absence of something is nothing and that is what space is, nothing at all except space gases. What doesn't make sense to me is how or why does anything exist at all, for all practical reasons nothing should really exist, nothing at all, if you really think about it it makes more sense that if everything came from God then where did God come from, he says he just always was and always has been in existence and he is who is he though he never changes so that doesn't really answer the question, however, it seems much easier to say that God exists and created everything than to just think that everything else that exists just exists cause it exists AND YET WE EXIST AND YET THE EARTH EXISTS though it shouldn't. Ok well, I am done babbling now. I want to know the reasons for all of this or God, there must be a greater explanation than what we can understand as humans.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
there is no reason,everything just is,yes its hard to wrap your mind around but that because like i said the human mind likes patterns,everything around us works in patterns...tv show begins and ends...the sun rises and sets...the book starts and finishes.Again unless im mistaken the law of thermodynamics *energy cannot be created or destroyed* hasnt been disproven,therefore everything has always existed.I kinda leave it at there, any further and my brain hurts.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by brickhouse32

Hi Brick

You must understand that there is not anything in the nothing, no space gases no nothing , no time, no end because it does not begin. There is no way to measure nothing, how big is nothing or how small is nothing. It's none of the above, not big, not small, not here, not there.

Further thought with out the something you would not even have the context to relize that the nothing does not even exist.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by googolplex]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Good answers all. What really messes up my head is that in all of this nothing there are somethings that are fixed, like our planet and each of us. So in the nothing something exists and in this nothingness something is fixed, or relatively fixed anyway. My head hurts now. :0)

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by brickhouse32
Good answers all. What really messes up my head is that in all of this nothing there are somethings that are fixed, like our planet and each of us. So in the nothing something exists and in this nothingness something is fixed, or relatively fixed anyway. My head hurts now. :0)

The thing is brickhouse, is that you are in the something a kind of bubble in the nothing, the nothing does not exist, there is not there, to exist, not time, not space nothing, notta.
This is like yin and yang, the nothing and the something, this really starts to become fun, when you realize the implications. Like if you think of the nothing which literialy is not there, but at the same time, nothing can not even not be there unless something is there to make the nothing not exist.

And like even now, the scientist getting into quantum particles, now they are saying nothing is there it's virtural, great all is illusion, what a paradox.
Wish I could get out of this straight jacket, it's hard to type with nose.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Well, let's see what one scientist says about that:

www2.binghamton.edu...

ASK A SCIENTIST
Date: 04-23-2008

Question: Where does space end? What, if anything, is after the end of space?

Answer:

Your question pushes up against the limits of cosmology and astronomy. Cosmology is the mathematical theory of the Universe and its origin, while astronomy is the science of observing and measuring the objects that appear to us in outer space. Astrophysics is the science that allows these measurements to be interpreted. Concerning the end of space, first, since space in the Universe is currently believed to be expanding (as part of the Big Bang theory of the origin of the Universe), it is not possible to point to its end. In fact, space is understood to be expanding at an accelerating pace and so the act of pointing to the limits of space would not even be accomplished before that limit had been left far behind. In the practice of astronomy, the end of space is considered to be the furthest objects whose light we, the observers, can view using current technology. Since the technology of astronomy continues to develop, the limits of space in astronomy must increase as the observational range increases over time. Another important factor is the belief that the speed of light is fixed and the same at all times and places. This means that it takes light a certain finite time to travel through space. This, combined with current estimates of the age of the Universe, it can be said that there is light traveling though space that has not yet reached us. As this light comes to us, the Universe is seen to grow. One conclusion you could draw from all of these facts is that there is no end to space. If there were a current stable boundary of the universe, its detection could be approached by technological improvement only in a pattern of diminishing returns, as when you move in some direction by decreasing your steps by half with each step. For example, in refining existing techniques one makes improvements to existing technology, like increases in energy efficiency of an existing machine. In that pattern a goal will never be reached because, according to the 'diminishing returns' pattern, we would be approaching the goal ever more slowly. You might ask 'but why couldn't someone invent a new technique that would enable a big jump in our ability to observe great distances'. That could happen, but no one can predict that, and so it can't be taken into account until it happens. So, even if there was an end to space, and space wasn't expanding, we could never predict that we could observe it.As to the question of what would be 'out there' after the space of the Universe ends, this is currently not within scientific investigation. It can come up in various theoretical models, but since these are all mathematical, using variables that cannot presently be observed, I think an appropriate answer is that what is out there beyond space is a construction of mathematical variables.

As you can see, the answer is nowhere as simple as the question.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

This is of interrest what this scientist says, but it was just a short time ago that the scientist, were saying well it's been 15 billions years the universe should be slowing down now. This scientist better go study some more math, the bang just occured why would it be slowing.
This also reminds me of when I was watching them put a lake, next to the land fill, and these people are running things. First thing plumber learns poop runs down hill, want to go for swim.
Speed of light does very.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
You know, one thing that I've thought about for quite a long time has to do with the "Big Bang" theory. What if the "Big Bang" was just a local event in a much larger universe than we could even imagine. What if we are just not able to see much further than 14-15 billion light years with our instrumentation, and what if there are other areas of space where other "Big Bang" events occurred? Prior to the late 19th century, we thought that our Milky Way was all that there was. Over time, we began to distinguish other galaxies, then groups of galaxies, such as the local group, then other groups, etc. What if what we consider "the universe" is just an "island" in a sea of other "universes"(for lack of a better term), which also came into existence by other "big bangs"?
Any thoughts on this, anyone?

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Yes multipule universes, with multiple bangs, once time becomes immaterial, you could just Bang on forever until everything that could happen has already happened, since time does not exist forever is incongruous, or inconsequential.
String theory is kind of out now.
But with these multipule universes, it's quite possible that they would some be over lapping our universe. If this is so, it is quite possible you could step right in to one of these over lapping universes, and the change would be so subtile you would not even know it.
Any how these other universe would just be like bubbles floating around in Gods mind, just God dreaming, nothing so tangible that you could really touch, only the passing of the grand illusion.
This is one of the lower planes of existance, but at same time is a very important cross road, as said before this is where it all crunches together into the real nitty gritty. This is where existance balances the yin and the yang, the black and the white, the nothing and the something, and all the impossible impossiblitys occur.
What is funny is some people can not see past this flat world we live on.
Don't worry be happy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join