It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there an end to space?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I did contribute my take on the subject, it's in the post below my first.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by lilblam
By the way, energy is SOMETHING. When there is nothing, there IS no energy. Energy is ALL that there is, and everything is composed of energy in its different forms. You jumped to a conclusion in another thread by assuming that by NOTHING I mean just energy... as energy is something

id like to no what ur talkin bout, i dont recall.
what are u talking about/ i dont fallow at all. as far as i can tell, ur telling me that energy is somthing. i think i no that. did i say otherwise?

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   
read my links please, post any more you find for us 2 read. You will learn a great deal by reading them. Energy is something, but would it be useable in the void, i mean with no forces to shape it or whatnot, would it just be there waiting for the chance to make a higgs boson or wateva then giv it its energy or sumthing.

[Edited on 22-2-2004 by quiksilver]

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer

By the way, energy is SOMETHING. When there is nothing, there IS no energy. Energy is ALL that there is, and everything is composed of energy in its different forms. You jumped to a conclusion in another thread by assuming that by NOTHING I mean just energy... as energy is something

what are u talking about/ i dont fallow at all. as far as i can tell, ur telling me that energy is somthing. i think i no that. did i say otherwise?

There's a possibility that I'm confusing you with someone else due to similar avatar icons... I'm associating the icons since your name's just too long to finish reading... sorry about that! If you dunno what I'm talking about you must be the wrong person

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by quiksilver
read my links please, post any more you find for us 2 read. You will learn a great deal by reading them. Energy is something, but would it be useable in the void, i mean with no forces to shape it or whatnot, would it just be there waiting for the chance to make a higgs boson or wateva then giv it its energy or sumthing.

Never said the Chaos theory is true. Just because there is no "God" as perceived by humanity, doesn't mean everything is random. In fact, randomness is perspective-based and everything at one level or another is "by design".

If you think the lottery numbers are random, and in the next morning's paper you find out they were rigged, that would be one example. So I'm just saying perception isn't the best thing to rely on, as there forces and things outside this realm (no God, sorry) that play this planet like a chess board. No, they never "formed out of pure energy by accident".

Also, they were NEVER formed, and neither were we because time doesn't exist, but I'm not talking about time in this post.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
no no please talk about time in this post, just a brief explanation on your thought about time. I have no idea where you got the idea that we dont exist because time doesnt exist.
1) Im pretty sure I'm living and breathing and all that # and that my brain wouldnt be capable of a single thought focused on virtually creating a world to make it content or something.(but then again my brain doesn't exist, not does my thought)
2) Who said time doesn't exist?? Or what is your definition of time that you made up so you could say that it doesn't exist.(so why would you make it up in the first place, so you must be talking about general time here)
or... am i just babbling on about something I didn't understand in the first place??
peace . . read links.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Never said we don't exist. Time doesn't exist, though. I didn't make any definitions up for anything. Read this thread, and you'll understand.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Is there an end to space?

Simply put, we don't know. We have a fair estimate at how big our universe is from measuring the Background Radiation. It is also postulated that space and time began with the big bang, thus anything outside the universe (or before the big bang) is nothing. Not nothing in any way thats particularly comprehendable to us however, (theres nothing in my cup) but nothing nothing.

Some great articles from the Astronomy Dept. at Cornell U. about this topic:

How big is the Universe?

Or scroll down to the list of Questions and Answers at the bottom of this page (there is a ton of them, and they rock).
curious.astro.cornell.edu...

Dealining with the twin concepts of infinity and nothing can be extremely taxing on the old brain.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 01:06 AM
link   
the universe is infinitly expanding so it has no end nor does it have a center either

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 01:20 AM
link   
it must have a centre, from which to evenly expand from, or else it is randomly expanding from anywhere, but even then it must be expanding a even distance from some point of another at any given moment?

[Edited on 23-2-2004 by quiksilver]

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer

He is saying like if you just had absolutly nothing there in a space thats free there cant be energybecause there is nothing there to amake energy with or to give it to, and he's right.

[Edited on 23-2-2004 by AD5673]

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   
'borrowed energy' like randomness, all you need is the random chance of a higgs boson or wateva, and for it to borrow enough energy to blow off the universe, which would be about a chance of 1 in like google x google x google or sumthing which i think would come to about like what a 1 wif a milion zeroes on it lol, and that would take a long while, but yea.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 02:04 AM
link   

it must have a centre, from which to evenly expand from, or else it is randomly expanding from anywhere, but even then it must be expanding a even distance from some point of another at any given moment?

Well, that is basically what Reletivity Physics would say also. In short and simple terms, any specific unit is the center of the universe with everything else expanding (or moving away) from it.

The Center Point of an Infinite (Whatever shape you're measuring) is Reletive to it's Edges. Does that make sense? If not read up on the Theory of Reletivity and it will be in there somewhere..

This link may also help.
What is the Universe Expanding Into?
curious.astro.cornell.edu...

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
i "think". key word i think. htere is no way of knowingbut. i think that energy can be created and destroyed but only in outer space.i think that space is like earth. it may not have plates but the matter in space is moving and colliding. so space xhas no ent but dosent go on forever.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

As far as we know, this is incorrect. Space is thought to be a curved 4d space. The best analogy goes like this: think of the universe as a 3d sphere. That's one less dimension than the real universe, but it works. Now think of the part that we experience as it's surface, which roughly works out to a 2d plane. But unlike a regular 2d surface, if you move far enough in any direction, you'll end up where you were. As far as we can tell, the universe is like that, except incomprehensibly big.

Now, if the 3d sphere is expanding, every point on the 2d surface will be moving away from every other point, making *EVERY POSSIBLE LOCATION* the center of the expansion *from it's own viewpoint* Now add on one dimension, and compare to the real world. We're fairly certain that this is how the real universe works, from astronomy.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
There is no absolute proof to prove that there is an end to space.And I have been confused for many years by the question that what the hell is outside our space.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
It is possible to have an infinite space in a defined number of dimensions.

You can think it like this: if you have a three dimensions width, height and depth and you start inserting 2D shapes into that (height x width, no depth) it follows that there are ininite space in depth dimension.

So, if our three dimensional (or four, or whatever, we do not know that yet and I do not believe time to be a dimension) universe expands into an area that has more dimensions, we might actually have infinite space. That way there will be no paradox.

You can, of course, always ask where did the reason come from. The trick is to create a theory that needs no reason. With a mind of a human seeking for a reason, that will never happen.

Basically all this means that if there are more dimensions somewhere else, it is practically possible to have an infinite universe when it has less dimensions than the place it lies in.

This also means that your question about possibility of infinity is already answered

[edit on 15/6/08 by rawsom]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I think no one knows the answer and never will. There are no tests or any theories to see if there is an end or not. I dont think a human can comprohend somthing like this. Well thats what i think. 1000's and 1000s and 1000's of years have gone by and no one has the answer.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
The realities as they exist in our kitchens would surely prompt the question regarding "space," a region that surrounded the universe when it was a singularity ready to blow and expand according to the Big Bang theory -- space that the Universe is expanding into.

If you ask a Cornell University astronomer about THAT space, here is the answer:

What was there before the Big Bang and what is there outside of our universe?

We can define the universe as everything there is, so in that case there is nothing outside of it. We also say that space and time both started at the Big Bang and therefore there was nothing before it.

Another definition for the universe is the observable universe - which is the part of it that we can technically see. We cannot know what is outside of that (since we can't observe it), but we think that physics works the same everywhere and so we think that it should be very similar to the observable universe. We actually think that the universe might be infinite in extent, and so goes on forever, even though we can only see a finite part of it.

We can speculate in meta-physics or in religion about what was before the Big Bang, but again, we cannot use science to tell anything about it as physics as we understand it breaks down at that point.

According to the educated and underlined last paragraph, the answers may be obtain by visiting different forums set up to discuss topics related to meta-physics and/or religion.

God loves to dwell in places where laws of physics break down.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
i think somehow there is an end to space but we will NEVER be able to get there unless someone makes a medicine that keeps u alive for MILLIONS INFINITY YEARS lol but if there was think what would be there a wall lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join