It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soda is addictive

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Ok I drink coca cola all the time. I stopped drinking it 3 days ago because of the stuff they use coca cola for...... Well its too addictive! I just now opend one I could not stand it. Is it the caffiene that makes it addictive? Well I tryed to stop drinking but it was impossible!

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
You got that right. I'm addicted to pop, too. My favourite is Pepsi.

I think that the ingredient they use to make it addictive is the sugar and caffeine. I think that caffeine rules over the sugar ingredient.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Me to dr peppa is my juice,
i cant stop drinking the dam thing.

I want to stop but just cant!! it calls me lol

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Of course we all know the original ingredients of Coke was very addictive, and I can only assume that a suitable legal ingrediant was found as a replacement.

Go a week without these drinks, and you will find yourself feeling fresher, with more energy, and quite possible you may lose weight too over time.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Maybe one day I will be able to quit......... Maybe I need a fail safe enviroment lol

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
Go a week without these drinks, and you will find yourself feeling fresher, with more energy, and quite possible you may lose weight too over time.

oh man, i know! it's wonderful! even a day bis great. and yeah, i think it's the caffiene that makes POP so addictive. who calls it soda anyway?

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Is this a Medical Issues and/or Conspiracy?

regards
seekerof

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
It's the caffine. And if you use suger with it WEEEEEEEEEEE. It's an upper. To quote SNL it "Pumps you up."

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Seeker, a product designed to take advantage of the human body and mind to benefit profit, is always conspiracy. Especially when it is targeted at younger gens, and provides no health benefit at all.

One 12 oz can of Coke...

Calories 140
Sodium 50mg
Total Carb 39g
-----Sugars 39g
Protein 0g

Carbonated Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or Sucrose, Carmel Color, Phosphoric Acid, Natural Flavors, Caffine.

Lets see, a product that provides no proteins but a overly-healthy dose of sugars and carbs, a wad of salt, and a dose of caffeine.

Oh yes, and some natural flavors.

Everything to give the brain a fix, and lower dopamine levels. A nice addictive product, that will give you a bout of withdrawls if no longer consumed.

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by smirkley]

*EDIT* hit the wrong button smirk..my apologies.

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Vanilla Coke is more addictive than regular coke to me...

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
Seeker, a product designed to take advantage of the human body and mind to benefit profit, is always conspiracy. Especially when it is targeted at younger gens, and provides no health benefit at all.

One 12 oz can of Coke...

Calories 140
Sodium 50mg
Total Carb 39g
-----Sugars 39g
Protein 0g

Carbonated Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or Sucrose, Carmel Color, Phosphoric Acid, Natural Flavors, Caffine.

Lets see, a product that provides no proteins but a overly-healthy dose of sugars and carbs, a wad of salt, and a dose of caffeine.

Oh yes, and some natural flavors.

Everything to give the brain a fix, and lower dopamine levels. A nice addictive product, that will give you a bout of withdrawls if no longer consumed.

*EDIT* hit the wrong button smirk..my apologies.

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by Seekerof]

Smirk,
Have you done any research into "soda pop" and have conclusive proof that "pop" is an item commercialized and specifically made product designed to take advantage of people: their body and minds, etc.?

Your source of this as being a "conspiracy" is?

Hell, next, someone will be posting a thread on the merits of "Fruit-a-Loom" users having a higher chance of prostate cancer than those who wear Hanes........

regards
seekerof

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Hell, next, someone will be posting a thread on the merits of "Fruit-a-Loom" users having a higher chance of prostate cancer than those who wear Hanes........

... fortunatly I wear Hanes.

But..

Caffeine also increases dopamine levels in the same way that amphetamines do (heroine and coc aine also manipulate dopamine levels by slowing down the rate of dopamine re-uptake). Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that, in certain parts of the brain, activates "reward pathways" (i.e. the pleasure center). Obviously caffeine's effect is much lower than heroin's, but it is the same mechanism. It is suspected that the dopamine connection contributes to caffeine addiction.
ibs.howstuffworks.com...

My bad, I said decrease, but it is increase in dopamine.
Either way the product is designed to be addictive and the target market is the younger gen,...kinda like cigarettes.

And when you come down off it...

The problem with caffeine is the longer-term effects, which tend to spiral. For example, once the adrenaline wears off, you face fatigue and depression. So what are you going to do? You take more caffeine to get the adrenaline going again. As you might imagine, having your body in a state of emergency all day long isn't very healthy, and it also makes you jumpy and irritable.

But there is some science pointing to the positive benefit of the drug caffeine.

Scientists working with a mouse model of Parkinson's disease have found that caffeine prevents the loss of the neurotransmitter dopamine, which is depleted in the neurodegenerative illness. If the new findings are any indication of caffeine's effects in humans, a coffee a day may help keep Parkinson's away.
www.sciam.com... 809EC588ED9F

Any product that benefits not from it's contribution, but it's repetetive use by manipulating the chemical balance of the human brain, is a product that is 'pushed' and then 'hooked'.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
O....k.....,
First off, thanks Smirkley for the "Caffeine Conspiracy" information.

I'm sure that you are aware that "Caffeine" is utilized in a great many products, correct?

Then there are those who take their bodies seriously, far more than many of us do, and say the opposite? Example:

"Caffeine Info And Products
Have More Energy And Lose More Fat!"

www.bodybuilding.com...

Excerpt:

"Caffeine is the most popular drug on the globe. It is a powerful stimulant to the Central Nervous System. Moderate use seems to be desireable by all, male and female; although excessive use can produce undesireable effects. Caffeine was discovered in 1820. In 1838, it was found that theine, a substance in tea, was identical to caffeine. Six or so caffeine containing plants are used more worldwide as a beverage than any other plants and herbal materials put together. The many caffeinated natural plants are are: Coffee, Tea, Kola, Cocoa, and Guarana......

Caffeine is a power and energy accelerant! It's perfect to super energize your body for powerful workouts. This fast-acting substance delivers the right molecular structure to your energy systems for maximum energy and power output. Caffeine much like Ephedra acts to increase mental alertness and neurologically provide the surge you need to maximize your training. Not just a stimulant, this powerful substance reaches deep into the muscle cell to provide lasting power and delaying the onset of muscle fatigue."

regards
seekerof

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
There was a time where smoking was acceptable and naysayer's were scoffed at. Of course that time has long come and gone, yet the full negetive effects of that will be felt for generation's.

Although for a bodybuilder or athlete I can understand the use of a temporary use of a stimulant to benefit their performance, the original post in this thread definetly was suggesting of the addiction properties, and the difficulties quitting cold-turkey.

BUT, the Olympic committee had a caffeine ban, and if tested positive, you lose your prize..

U.S. sprinter Inger Miller was stripped of a bronze medal in the 60 meters at the 1999 world indoor championships after a positive caffeine test. At last month's Pan American Games, Letitia Vriesde of Surinam lost her gold in the 800 meters for the same offense.
www.mercurynews.com...

Even though this has now been changed and is no longer on the Olympic 'doping' list, it is still considered an addictive drug, that ANY child can buy without question.
www.abc.net.au...

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I think smirkley is right. Those soda drink are useless money wastes. They only make you more thirsty.

I stopped drinking them at around 18.

Even if, say, there weren't any "conspiracy" about the soda industry, there's still a huge "conspiracy" about the fact that too many compagnies today convince people into buyings tons of useless stuff they don't really need or benefit from.

Drink water while they don't over-charge it yet.

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by m0rbid]

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Morbid....though I can agree, somewhat....you mentioned this:

"Drink water while they don't over-charge it yet."

Dude....

Water is free?
Whats up with the selling of water anyhow?
Talk about a true "conspiracy"....wowzers.

I'll stick to my Mountain Dews, though. hehehe

regards
seekerof

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Coke is so much better than Pepsi to me, Pepsi tastes so dry, and...rootbeery. Not that rootbeer is bad, just it is not as good as Coke.

Oh, I LOVE Coke, Diet Coke, and Vanilla Coke. I am addicted perhaps, but would not want to give up my favourite drinks, even if there was a way.

The original Coke was addictive indeed, it actually had Cocaine in it, as it was used for medical purposes, to make wounded be relieved of pain.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I drank soda ALOT until someone on here said something to the likes of "and Pepsi is where the NWO puts their mind control drugs." I drank no soda for a good week or two, then only fountain soda for another week or two

Now I drink more water than soda

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Just thinking a bit more on this...

The caffeine dialates blood vessels allowing for increased flow. Increases dopamine levels to tickle those pleasure centers in the brain. (Your brain will remember and will expect the pleasure again.)

The sugar provides a nice medium duration energy boost. (False energy not generated naturally.)
Sugar is without question one of the most dangerous substances on the food market today.
However, as you will see, the long term use of sugar can cause a severe strain on the delicate glands that regulate blood sugar levels and, in the long run, can cause blood sugar levels to fluctuate erratically.
When cells do not function properly over a long period of time, this can lead to a breakdown in the cellular structure which allows for the invasion of foreign organisms, such as viruses and bacteria, and for the proliferation of mutant cells such as cancer cells.
home.datacomm.ch...

The salt provides a method of creating thirst.
The report set 1.5 grams of sodium per day -- equal to the amount found in two to three cups of many processed soups -- as an adequate intake for most adults. People who are far more active, including endurance athletes, may need more, while adults 50 to 70 years need less (1.3 grams per day). Those age 71 or older need just 1.2 grams per day, the report said.
www.washingtonpost.com...

Excessive thirst is a fairly common symptom and is often the reaction to fluid loss during exercise or intake of salty foods.
www.nlm.nih.gov...

Sounds like a cocktail designed for stimulation and addiction to me.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   
It's not the caffeine that is addictive. When I drink coffee (which has more caffeine than coke), I still crave for coke afterwards.

I went without coke for 3 weeks one time & switched to juice. Instead of getting healthier, I got a long wicked cold. This was fairly recent.

I've switched back to coke. My health was fine. So in my case, coke isn't bad at all.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join