It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandatory Invasive Census

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
www.census.gov...

The American Community Survey is a nationwide survey designed to provide communities a fresh look at how they are changing. It will replace the decennial long form in future censuses and is a critical element in the Census Bureau's reengineered 2010 census.
The decennial census has two parts: 1) the short form, which counts the population; and 2) the long form, which obtains demographic, housing, social, and economic information from a 1-in-6 sample of households. Information from the long form is used for the administration of federal programs and the distribution of billions of federal dollars.
Since this is done only once every 10 years, long-form information becomes out of date. Planners and other data users are reluctant to rely on it for decisions that are expensive and affect the quality of life of thousands of people. The American Community Survey is a way to provide the data communities need every year instead of once in ten years.
The American Community Survey is conducted under the authority of Title 13, United States Code, Sections 141 and 193, and response is mandatory. According to Section 221, persons who do not respond shall be fined not more than $100. Title 18 U.S.C. Section 3571 and Section 3559, in effect amends Title 13 U.S.C. Section 221 by changing the fine for anyone over 18 years old who refuses or willfully neglects to complete the questionnaire or answer questions posed by census takers from a fine of not more than $100 to not more than $5,000. The U.S. Census Bureau may use this information only for statistical purposes. We can assure you that your confidentiality is protected. Title 13 requires the Census Bureau to keep all information about you and all other respondents strictly confidential. Any Census Bureau employee who violates these provisions is subject to a fine of up to $250,000 or a prison sentence of up to five years, or both.
You may view Title 13 at the U. S. House of Representatives website at the following address: uscode.house.gov...
Full implementation of the American Community Survey is planned in every county of the United States. The survey would include approximately three million households. Data are collected by mail and Census Bureau staff follow up with those who do not respond.
The American Community Survey will provide estimates of demographic, housing, social, and economic characteristics every year for all states, as well as for all cities, counties, metropolitan areas, and population groups of 65,000 people or more.
For smaller areas, it will take three to five years to accumulate sufficient sample to produce data for areas as small as census tracts. For example, areas of 20,000 to 65,000 can use data averaged over three years. For rural areas and city neighborhoods or population groups of less than 20,000 people, it will take five years to accumulate a sample that is similar to that of the decennial census. These averages can be updated every year. Eventually, we will be able to measure changes over time for small areas and population groups.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I think this is a good example of an overall general trend of tightening the grasp on Americans, this time with an agency which hasn't had much attention and would not be on the list of 'usual suspects'.

Right now, when you think of invasion of privacy by the government, you probably think first of FBI wiretaps, Department of Homeland Security terrorist lists, the Executive Branch's blatant disregard of law and others.

A vital implementation of Big Brother's will is going to be further intrusive data mining by the Census Bureau, random mail searches by the USPS (or at least searches of 'suspected terrorist activities' passing through the mail), and more invasive data mining by banking regulators, credit agencies and the like due to the recent subprime meltdown, housing meltdown and credit crunch.

The noose is getting tighter, and the powers that be need to have the noose strangle us from all directions. All agencies need to be utilized to achieve this.

$5,000 fine be damned, I'm not answering any personal or identifying questions.

Two personal stories somewhat related:

I had a college professor who was once sent a survey in the mail. It purported to be anonymous, and wanted to judge the overall atmosphere of the college, how the faculty felt the college was being managed, and other similar questions. The survey said no personal information would be collected, it was completely anonymous and no information gathered would be used in any way detrimental to the professor's career.

The professor passed around the survey for the class and told us she wasn't going to respond to this anonymous survey..... a month later, she got a letter in the mail stating she hadn't replied to the survey and 'strongly' urged her to complete the survey.

When I was in high school, a similar anonymous and optional survey was circulated to be completed by every junior in their English classes. In general, the intent was to measure the students' opinions of faculty and administrator effectiveness, and to find ways to teach the students more effectively.

After giving the brief instructions for this optional survey, the teacher walked down each isle and handed the surveys out. When she got to my desk, I politely told her I did not want to complete the survey. She got awfully mad and my stance was that since the survey was optional, I would rather not complete it. The optional nature of the survey was made known in both the oral instructions and on the first page of the survey itself. (To be fair, in high school I was already an ATSer in the making, so some of my decision was based simply on my wanting to go against the grain, thinking for myself, yada yada).
I 'held my ground', and, long story short, my refusal to complete the optional survey got me a visit to the assistant principal's office and a day of ISS (In school suspension).

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I can say with 100% certainty that I will not be completing any mandatory data mining surveys that could possibly put me and my family at risk in the future. Who really knows the implications of filling out this type of survey. Remember Eugenics? With this information, they will be able to see which religions are grouped where, which races are settling where, the highest concentrations of families with children, illegals etc. This could lead to a targeted attack of certain types of people. I know there is a law that says this is mandatory, but does anyone know the origin of this law, who passed it, wrote it, etc? What is the agenda? etc.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
so, i double posted and cant seem to find a way to delete it. must be a conspiracy!

[edit on 10-3-2008 by kaspermartyrphantom]

new topics

top topics

join