It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our economic meltdown started when the democrats took over the congress

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
It seems that after we voted in more democrats that everything seemed to unravel in this country. Millions losing their homes, jobs, and hope. Did we screw up big time in that last major election?

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by gdeed

I suggest that you look into how much the barrel of oil was at the time Bush took the government in 2000 and compare to 105 barrel of oil to day.

Also you should look into the New Bankruptcy Law May Make It Harder for Some People to Erase Their Debts it was signed by Bush in 2005, yes our present president and his administration knew where our economy was heading with his trillion dollar war before the congress change.

Now this congress with their ineptitude are not helping either.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
You've got to be kidding me! I demand evidence to support this acusation otherwise ... can we send this to skunkworks?

[edit on 7-3-2008 by stikkinikki]

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
www.populistamerica.com...

gdeed, have an agenda fueled by an ideology do we?

Read the link above for a little more rounded analysis.

And as marg alluded to....
What do you think the price of oil did to the economy with Bush giving special dispensations to his oil buddies? We live in an oil economy. Who profits, who suffers. Questions we all need to ask ourselves.

[edit on 7-3-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I agree with you, but we get most of our oil from Venezuela and Hugo Chaves is no friend of Bush.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by gdeed

No, Venezuela is our third,

Crude Oil and Total Petroleum Imports Top 15 Countries

The top sources of US crude oil imports for December were Canada (1.784 million barrels per day), Saudi Arabia (1.675 million barrels per day), Venezuela (1.246 million barrels per day), Mexico (1.234 million barrels per day), and Nigeria (1.210 million barrels per day). The rest of the top ten sources, in order, were Angola (0.439 million barrels per day), Iraq (0.378 million barrels per day), Algeria (0.348 million barrels per day), Ecuador (0.195 million barrels per day), and Brazil (0.171 million barrels per day). Total crude oil imports averaged 9.823 million barrels per day in December, which is a decrease of 0.125 million barrels per day from November 2007.

www.eia.doe.gov...

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Is this serious? Economic unraveling takes a little longer than a year or two to take effect.

Our economy is suffering because we have borrowed BILLIONS for the Iraq war for China, because Haliburton gets tax breaks because their accounts are off shore, because the wealthy don't have to pay taxes as much as I do.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

Well a year ago before the congress changed I didn't know anyone who was losing their house. Now a few friends have and they also lost their jobs after they lost their house. The economy has never been this bad, and the turning point seems to have happened when we change the congress.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Perhaps if the Democrats had actually started doing legislation involving hte economy...

But frankly, I'm pretty sure that we Democratic voters are only going to have six years, tops - People won't remember that hte recession started under Bush because of Bush. They'll just remember that Democrats were in office at the worst point of it.

Democrats will also be blamed for the early december aggressions / invasion into Iran, even though it will be ordered by Bush. Why? Because I look back on history, and see that this fruit loop's father did the exact same strategy with Somalia

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
i have to agree since there have been more democrats in congress there have been more vacations and focus on non-issues takeing valuable time from the topics that matter.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

My agenda is my pocketbook, and it hasn't been feeling well the last few months after the democrats took office. Perhaps it is coincidence but I don't think so

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
A lot of people are not aware of how our nations economy work or what are the agendas behind the action or governments.

This why our nation is in such much trouble, people in America are to worry about TV and MTV, and the live of movie stars to even realized that something is very wrong and about to hit them in their faces.

For people like me and many here in ATS we have been talking about the illusion of our economy for years.

If yo do a search you will find many threads talking about the economical outlook here in ATS from previous years.

BTW I have about three neighbors in my street that had succumbed to foreclosures in the last two years.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DaleGribble

maybe if they took more vacations we would be better off! For certain it seems that no one did anything to keep the economy from sliding into the hole as it did. Isn't that why we pay them the big bucks? Or are we at fault for voting into office incompetents?

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
well the stock market/ DOW is now below 12,000 it is currently at 11,988.52 - 52.54

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by gdeed
reply to post by whaaa

My agenda is my pocketbook, and it hasn't been feeling well the last few months after the democrats took office. Perhaps it is coincidence but I don't think so

So is it even possible that part of your hurting pocketbook might be due to
to rise in all things petroleum. Exxon posted record profits this quarter at the expense of chumps like us. Why do you think that is? If my memory serves me well, Bush is an oil man and a Republican. Should he or his party share in any of the blame?

I ask you again, "who profits, who pays?"

One way for the dembs to make a clean sweep in November is for all the Democratic candidates to promise to look into the oil business and it's corruption and it's enormous contributions to the GOP. "What was that secret meeting between Cheney, another oil man, and the energy corps?"
My bet is; "what is the best way to stick it in the American taxpayer; and break it off"

By the way, I have been a Republican since 77, but I'm not a fool, and you don't have to be a genius to see that the GOP has been taken over by
by a group of people more interested in the PNAC than the American people. Think NAFTA or NAU might play a little part?

Rush, Hannity and Savage aren't the greatest source for unbiased info.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

So is it even possible that part of your hurting pocketbook might be due to
to rise in all things petroleum. Exxon posted record profits this quarter at the expense of chumps like us. Why do you think that is? If my memory serves me well, Bush is an oil man and a Republican. Should he or his party share in any of the blame?

I ask you again, "who profits, who pays?"

One way for the dembs to make a clean sweep in November is for all the Democratic candidates to promise to look into the oil business and it's corruption and it's enormous contributions to the GOP. "What was that secret meeting between Cheney, another oil man, and the energy corps?"

I’m a working stiff and all I know is that my meager pension plan is only worth something because of the few oil stocks in it. Personally I wish I had the dough to buy oil stocks but I don’t.
Still, the oil companies were booted out of Venezuela and now Hugo gets all that money from the oil---right or wrong makes no difference to me, but if you want to blame someone blame the oil barons like Hugo Chaves, the Canadians and the Middle East, where most of our oil comes from as posted by Marg6043.
I did notice that the democrats hit the oil companies with a large tax a month ago---who do you think pays that tax? All costs are paid for by the consumers, that would be us.

I don't read Rush or those others you mentioned, only my newspaper.

[edit on 7-3-2008 by gdeed]

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
gdeed, welcome to the many in this nations that are now feeling the pain of what a failing economy can do to you pocket.

You are not alone in your pain, remember that for the last 8 years we have gone into a war mode that is sucking the life of this nations hard working Americans and tax payer.

We have a mix of outrageous deficit, national debt and spending and is all related to war.

Also in the last 8 years our dollar has fallen to the worst ever becoming almost wordless we depend on cheap imports and live on credit to survive, meanwhile the bozos in Washington that are ruled by corporate greed are reaping the benefits, because while we feel the crunch they fill their pockets.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
gdeed, welcome to the many in this nations that are now feeling the pain of what a failing economy can do to you pocket.

You are not alone in your pain, remember that for the last 8 years we have gone into a war mode that is sucking the life of this nations hard working Americans and tax payer.

We have a mix of outrageous deficit, national debt and spending and is all related to war.

Also in the last 8 years our dollar has fallen to the worst ever becoming almost wordless we depend on cheap imports and live on credit to survive, meanwhile the bozos in Washington that are ruled by corporate greed are reaping the benefits, because while we feel the crunch they fill their pockets.

Personally the last 7 years were great, it all turned in the 8 year when the congress was changed over and the democrats took control. My .o2 anyway.
Wars certainly suck but that is not why people are loosing their homes in record numbers here in America. People didn’t lose their homes during the Vietnam war like they are now, which also cost huge amounts of money, a whole heck of a lot more than the Iraq war.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by gdeed
control.
Wars certainly suck but that is not why people are loosing their homes in record numbers here in America.

Is it possible that a lot of people are losing their homes because they borrowed more money than they could afford, didn't read the fine print,
got suckered in by creative financing and it blew up in their face. Peoples
jobs got outsourced. Their cost of driving to work tripled, The price of all commodities are going thru the roof. Wages are stagnant and not even coming close to keeping up with inflation.

Blame it on the Democrats if it makes you feel better; but I think you really need to look at the financial wheeling and dealing long before the Democrats took office. I think you will find someplace else to place the blame. I saw the financial crisis coming long before the dembs took a majority. It was in the Wall Street Journal, all over the www, and even very throughly covered here at ATS. Lou Dobbs has been talking about Bushes war on the middle class for years.

You should have invested in companies that manufacture surveillance cameras like I did. I saw the handwriting on the wall the moment the Patriot act was passed. Business is booooming in the surveillance industry
with cameras being placed at every intersection, in every town USA.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
The Democratic congress didn't cause the bottom to fall out of the sub-prime market, the price of oil to go up or the dollar to be devalued. They are partly responsible for the enormously expensive war financed with debt, though many have been against it. These are the causes of the economic downturn.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join