It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Severe Weather Set To Hit UK On Monday

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
So far it's all been pretty unexceptional - just a normal run of the mill spring storm. A few reports of tress down but no serious damage anywhere.

Rain and wind have eased here now, in fact the sun's coming out! But more rain and strong winds expected later.

Most notable thing here is the pressure drop - down from 994mb at 18z yesterday to 964mb at 07z this morning.

Media have rather overhyped the storm - although to be honest had it tracked further north as initially expected things may well have been worse with stronger winds across a wider part of the south.

A report here form the Scottish paper The Herald:

www.theherald.co.uk...

Which is notable for accurately quoting my friend Bren!

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   
It's a bit blustery, but otherwise nothing too bad.

Was expecting the worst when I came into work this morning, as a significant part of our network goes over the National Grid pylons, so is susceptible to high winds.

So far, all we have are sporadic alarms and some power failures. Only slight infrastructure disruption so far.

I'd imagine the PM will use the minimal damage as evidence that Government flood defence spending is going well, even though we were lucky.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   
weve decided to have a pj day
, no school for my dd
as we have allsorts of bits flying around and as we are rural roads often have trees falling across them. so well be bakeing and makeing today

m x

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Not to bad here,

Remember they are saying not to be to fooled, and the later part of the strom may be the worse bit,

thats predicted around rush hour time, So keep safe,

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I'm in the South East, Canterbury and not far from Dover..

a few trees are down, could not travel into uni due to a neighbours wall collapsed. Countless fences have fallen down too. The eye is over us now, the second and stronger part is expected to hit us in about two hours.

Winds were measured at about 80mph here.

During this clam period of blue skies, I've been inspecting the damage and tying down everything in the garden.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
The blue clear sky has gone now. It has got very dark in the last few minutes. Just reinforced the fence. According to Skynews, the roads here in Kent are pretty bad.

There is a huge tree near my house and it does not look good lol Someone is going to have a nasty surprise if it comes down.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I spoke to soon about there being no disruption. We've got major fibre breaks in Wales and the North West, causing no end of headaches.....

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
The wind is apparently about 50mph here, but it seems a lot more than that.

Since the last time I posted, the wind has picked up dramatically

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Thundering down with rain at the mo and the wind is back again. Also, we're getting power losses around the place from Lightning strikes. Nursling, near Southampton is currently having a power failure.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

It is raining hard now and the wind is even worse.
No power problems yet but we seem to be riding our luck at the moment.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I'm in the north west and all is calm... it's not even breezy...

Oh well, I'll just make sure I stay indoors tonight....

Stay safe everyone.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
I'm in the north west and all is calm... it's not even breezy...

Oh well, I'll just make sure I stay indoors tonight....

Stay safe everyone.

Likewise in South Cumbria, but then nothing ever happens here. Ever. I hope everyone else is staying safe, warm and dry and the next "wave" of weather today isn't as bad as predicted

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Muppetus Galacticus

well, its much worse here.

Much worse than this morning

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Try to stay safe all of you out there. In the Netherlands it's stormy too right now but no so bad as it is in the UK. I heard on the news that it's getting a bit better over there now but that more is to be expected at nightfall.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Well, I', back from suffolk, there were strong winds and heavy rain on the A14 a lorry just ahead of me nearly went over!
Back here in Nottingham theres not even a hint of wind right now... maybe the centre of the storm is over us? I don't know how the south is at the mo because I haven't turned the TV on but it's not been anywhere near as bad as I had expected... thats the midlands for ya... just the usual rain and coldness

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Hi fiftyfifty,
i heard that too that the eye of the storm is above us.I expected doom and gloom (forever the optimist lol) and approx 11am it was almost sunbathing weather.Lovely sunshine.

I hope everyone is safe and warm and i hope it doesnt get any worse for people in affected areas.Best wishes and stay safe.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
It's been rather average here (UK weather = bit of sun, then clouds then rain, then clear, then cold) in the northwest.

But the winds have picked up...

How's the weather down south?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join