It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light and Consciousness.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
This thought is spurred from the recent " frozen light " thread.

Excerpt from Peter Russels, " Science to God ". I bought this book not knowing thier was a " free " online version.

www.peterussell.com...

The Light of Consciousness

My studies in experimental psychology had taught me much about neurophysiology, memory, behavior, and perception. Yet, despite all that I was learning about brain function, I was no closer to understanding the nature of consciousness itself. The East, however, appeared to have a lot to say about the subject, and so did many mystics, from around the world. For thousands of years such seekers had focused on the inner realm of the mind, exploring its subtler aspects through direct personal experience.

Believing that such approaches might offer insights unavailable to Western science, I began delving into ancient texts such as The Upanishads, The Tibetan Book of the Great Liberation, The Cloud of Unknowing, and contemporary writers such as Alan Watts, Aldous Huxley, Carl Jung, and Christopher Isherwood.

I was fascinated to find that here, as in modern physics, light was a recurrent theme. Consciousness itself was often spoken of in terms of light. The Tibetan Book of the Great Liberation spoke of "the self-originated Clear Light, eternally unborn� shining forth within one�s own mind." St. John referred to "the true light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world."

Those who have awakened to the truth about reality�whom we often call illumined, or enlightened�frequently describe their experiences in terms of light. The sufi Abu 'l-Hosian al-Nuri experienced a light "gleaming in the Unseen� I gazed at it continually, until the time came when I had wholly become that light."And the tenth-century Christian mystic St. Symeon saw: "a light infinite and incomprehensible� one single light� simple, non-composite, timeless, eternal� the source of life."

The more I explored this inner light, the more I saw close parallels with the light of physics. Physical light has no mass, and is not part of the material world. The same is true of consciousness; it is immaterial. Physical light seems to be fundamental to the universe. The light of consciousness is likewise fundamental; without it there would be no experience.

I began to wonder whether there was some deeper significance to these similarities. Were they pointing to a more fundamental connection between the light of the physical world and the light of consciousness? Do physical reality and the reality of the mind share the same common ground�a ground whose essence is light?

So if Light Behaves such as Consciousness, what does this new study suggest on our appraisel of Consciousness? If light can be frozen, can Consciousness be frozen?

www.newscientist.com...

www.aip.org...

In a new experiment a pulse of light has been stopped without losing its optical energy. A few years ago, two different Harvard groups succeeded in slowing and then storing a pulse of light in atomic vapor. In that work the propagation of light pulses was halted by vesting the properties of incoming photons into the spin orientations of the atoms in the vapor.

Thus light pulses had been stopped by ceasing to exist in the form of electromagnetic energy while ceding all of its signal qualities to the atomic vapor. Later they could be reconstituted into propagating light beams

Deep

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
the body is an electromagnetic wave and nothing more
all matter is energy and energy in its most subtle form is light ...we are in essence nothing more than light ...
shadows that shift and change on the backdrop of space and time ....similar to watching a movie at the theatre..God though being in the universe is not of the universe ....god being inside us allows us to overcome with if with great effort and the help of the science of yoga..to become one with that light and live in the vibrationless realm...beyond the beyond.....beyond what words can desribe
jesus practiced yoga
so did all the great ones
even the christian saints practiced bhakti yoga which is devotion to god

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by watcheroftheskies]

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Jesus and Yoga?

You will provide links to these claims will you?

Another note, you never really answered the question but detracted and said Jesus practiced Yoga.

My question is regarding the rammnifications this study has on our vision of Consciousness.

Deep

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
yoga is yoking your self to the will of god
jesus practiced yoga

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
there is a book called Jesus the Yogi
i will tell the author to you at future date when i memorize it. i dont have it in front of me

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
our vision of consciousness?
it can only be frozen by entering the vibrationless realm which is beyond the material world but you can still be in your body
sounds like a contradiction but its not ...you would have to experience it to know it

[Edited on 20-2-2004 by watcheroftheskies]

new topics

top topics

join